Who Has the Edge in the U.S. Air Force J-Stars Competition?

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

The U.S. Air Force is one step closer to replacing the repurposed Boeing 707-300s once used to transport cattle with a modern ground surveillance and battle management fleet that will provide critical battlefield information to combatant commanders for decades to come.

http://aviationweek.com/defense/who-has-edge-us-air-force-j-stars-competition?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20170310_AW-05_997eeee&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1&utm_rid=CPEN1000002229670&utm_campaign=9005&utm_medium=email&elq2=7a46c8e5ed4243baaf21ff7b5469e066

Seems like they're missing the point. Surely radar performance and the associated systems are going to matter a lot more than the airframe in the selection.

Primes can submit different bids with both sensors.

bring_it_on said:
Primes can submit different bids with both sensors.

Oh, I hadn't realized they were separating the radar and aircraft competitions. Sounds like an interesting integration challenge.

As per my understanding, the contractors are allowed to submit bids including both sensors. The contract would be awarded to one of the configurations submitted by one of the vendors. I don't think they will be awarding a contract to a prime that did not have that sensor configuration selected.

TomS said:
Seems like they're missing the point. Surely radar performance and the associated systems are going to matter a lot more than the airframe in the selection.

Radar horizon and minimum grazing angles impact on platform i.e. cruise altitude