• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Whatif the 747-200F got a rear loading ramp ?

Archibald

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
As said in the thread title. How hard would it be, technically ? On paper at least, it is possible to dig a hole into the 747 rear end: see the AAC concepts, also the cruise missiles platform...

The 747-200F flew on November 30, 1971. Over the next three decades Boeing, again and again, proposed military 747s - against the KC-10, C-5B, and C-17. And they failed.

Whatif circa 1970 Boeing put a rear loading ramp on the 747-200F - just to put some pressure on Lockheed and their much maligned C-5A ?

Whatif the (baffled by the C-5A issues) US military backed the idea through PanAm and the CRAF - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet ?

Hobbes

Reaction score
Going by this drawing, the main cabin floor is about 4.5 meters above the ground. That would make the ramp very long (a 20% gradient results in a 20 m long ramp), very steep or a combination thereof. Kneeling undercarriage could mitigate this a bit.

This is why military airlifters have a high wing and trapezoidal cross-sections: both enable the main deck to be much closer to the ground.

Attachments

Last edited:

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
747-100 was designed as a freighter, but a nose-loading freighter. That is why the cockpit is above the main passenger deck and it has a bulged fairing behind the cockpit. Initially, Boeing designated the small upper deck as a crew rest area, but marketeers got one look and sold it as an expensive, upper-class bar/lounge for first-class passengers.
Boeing later extended the upper deck to increase seating to up to 500 for short-haul flights connecting the Japanese Islands.
Nose or side-loading freighters have much lighter empty/un-loaded weights, but require dedicated ground support equipment to load cargo.

The British Hawker-Siddeley Andover was the only low-winged military transport with a tail ramp. Its main landing gear "knelt" to ease loading over the main wing spar.
I wonder how much a tail ramp adds to the empty weight of a transport?
Tail ramps also create significant drag problems. The faster the airplane the longer the "tail cone" needed to reduce drag.

Archibald

Reaction score
Ah dang. Better to have Boeing kicking Lockheed rear end over CX-HLS in 1966 and in the first place. Although that instantly kills the 747 of course.

I wonder how much a tail ramp adds to the empty weight of a transport?
That would make the ramp very long (a 20% gradient results in a 20 m long ramp)
I would hazard: a lot of weight (for a 20 m long ramp !)