What on Earth was the "Bubimat" ???

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
While browsing through Russian aviation magazine AeroPlan #15, I came across a most intriguing contraption made up of the front end and jet engine of an F-86 Sabre fighter and a sort of strange exhaust pipe on wheels that make the whole thing look like a vacuum cleaner for airport strips!! As I speak neither Russian nor any of the other Slavonic languages that the machine was mentioned in, and in the absence of any other source of information, I hope someone on this forum can help me understand, not only what the whole thing was about: when it was done, by whom and for what purpose... and also why it seems that the name of Erich Herman, a famous pilot from the Luftwaffe, seems to be associated with it...

Attachments

• Bubi1.jpg
    Bubi1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 537
  • profile1.jpg
    profile1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Bubi2.jpg
    Bubi2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 165
  • 2705_87089496_Aeroplan150008.jpg
    2705_87089496_Aeroplan150008.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 485
  • 5800x600.jpg
    5800x600.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 475
  • 4800x600.jpg
    4800x600.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 467
  • 2800x600.jpg
    2800x600.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 507
Re: What on Earth was the « Bubbimat »???

I don't know, if SOC is right, although I think so, but I want to add two points:
- The correct spelling certainly is "Bubimat", I took the liberty to correct the title.
- Erich Hartmann survived the war and served in the "new" Luftwaffe again,
until 1970. His nickname was "Bubi" Hartmann, so I think, this thing somehow was
based on his ideas, as he was flying the Sabre himself.

Edit: The scan clearly shows "Bubimat, too. ;)

Another jet powered de-icer (source http://englishrussia.com/2011/02/14/wackiest-russian-vehicles/)
transport-282.jpg

While researching for my blog post about the "Bobbimat", I found that in the book "Die Flugzeuge der Bundeswehr 012 - Canadair Cl-13A Sabre MK 5" by Peter Sickinger there is a mention that this particular contraption was tested on CL-13A Mk.5 s/n 932.

In the same book, there is also a mention that the german company Schoerling Waggonbau builded a snowblower truck attaching two Orenda 10 engines (coming from Sabres Mk.5 s/n 817 and 852) to a Magirus-Deutz tanker truck. This contraption was called Startbahnenteisungsgerät, thermisch and it was used in the Hanover Airport.

Here are a couple of pictures of it:

schoerling-waggonbau_eisabtaugeraet_02.jpeg

schoerling-waggonbau_eisabtaugeraet_03.jpeg

Pictures source: http://www.specialtrucks.ch/001_ola...tlich/eisabtaugeraet_schoerling_seitlich.html

While browsing through Russian aviation magazine AeroPlan #15, I came across a most intriguing contraption made up of the front end and jet engine of an F-86 Sabre fighter and a sort of strange exhaust pipe on wheels that make the whole thing look like a vacuum cleaner for airport strips!! As I speak neither Russian nor any of the other Slavonic languages that the machine was mentioned in, and in the absence of any other source of information, I hope someone on this forum can help me understand, not only what the whole thing was about: when it was done, by whom and for what purpose... and also why it seems that the name of Erich Herman, a famous pilot from the Luftwaffe, seems to be associated with it...
According to text at picture it was device for RWY Deicing. On the Sabre exaust were installed bubimat and the plane was towed behind a tractor. The designer was Erich Hartmann (know german fighter pilot)