What material is used to make wings and fins of missiles?

What material is used to make wings and fins of missiles?

• Titanium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alluminium

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Carbon fiber

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Plastic

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Vanessa1402

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I'm wondering, is there any information /source about what are these wing and fin of cruiser missile and bombs made of ?
Is it the same between small cruise missile like Spear and big missile like LRASM?
D81B1F5F-AC98-4C1B-BFF9-714F6A7AAA7F.jpeg
73C82754-C3EC-46D9-B1ED-5EDF4DA67E4A.jpeg

I'm wondering, is there any information /source about what are these wing and fin of cruiser missile and bombs made of ?
Is it the same between small cruise missile like Spear and big missile like LRASM?
View attachment 677247
View attachment 677248
The information is not unlikely to be found in Jane's, Aviation Week (the ads are a great source of technical information ;) ), company websites, or sites akin to Army Technology. The answer to the poll question should be "whatever works," including steel, concrete, magnesium, and wood.

View attachment 677247
View attachment 677248
The information is not unlikely to be found in Jane's, Aviation Week (the ads are a great source of technical information ;) ), company websites, or sites akin to Army Technology. The answer to the poll question should be "whatever works," including steel, concrete, magnesium, and wood.
Info can be found in the strangest places. For example I stumbled across a company I'd never heard of before so I went to their web page and low and behold there were pictures of the titanium airframe they'd buit for RATTLRS. Blew my mind.

I think if it is normal missile like a tomahawk, the wing likely made from pure metal for simple manufacturing. If we are talking about stealth missile like JSM and LRASM, I think the wing probably made from glass fiber so that it can be transparent to radar wave

Beal had the biggest filament winding machine that I heard of…sent to Japan and likely the source of that failed BFR composite tank that failed and sent Musk to stainless steel. I think there was some other bleed over but that might just be gossip. SLBMs used what…wood in nose spikes or something? Use enough nail clippings and you could make and ablative out of that…I thing wood shavings and flour goop were proposed…

Back
Top Bottom