it seemed to be this day specifics for small designers and their Projects,
Mr. Waldo Waterman was American and almost his career in invented a
tailless airplanes,he had a series from W-1 to W-12,plus some aircraft,
actually built,but we knew only in his series; W-1,W-4,W-5 and the W-11
was called Chevy Bird,who has a Projects to this designer or can complete
his sequence ?.

Last edited:
hesham said:
who has a Projects to this designer or can complete his squence ?

Well, I have 19 distinct Waterman types or sub-types/modifications in my Waterman list, starting in 1909 and ending with the Chevy Duck. Obviously there were more than that. But this is a question for the "Designation Systems" section, I guess, isn't it? I could "spill the beans" right away on my entire list, but I want to keep some discovery for my upcoming site... If you keep discussing all the obscure U. S. manufacturers here, there'll be little element of surprise left there! ;)

The W- series began only in 1930, with the W-1 Flex-Wing, also variously known as the "CLM Special" or the "Variable Wing Monoplane". Before that the types had no standard designations. This was followed by the Model B Whatsit (W-2?), later rebuilt as the first Arrowplane (W-3?), then the W-4 Arrowplane and the W-5 and W-5A Arrowbile. I have no other W- designations beside that — I don't know where you got "W-11" for the Chevy Bird, but it's interesting. The other W- numbers were most likely projects.

Thank you my dear Skyblazer,

and there was also W-12,and for W-11; JAWA 1975-1976 index.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    155 KB · Views: 167
Thanks for providing the source to the W-11 designation.
I suspect W-12 must have been for the Chevy Duck, which was the Chevy Bird after it was modified with floats.

On second thought, I'm not so sure about the W-12 being the Chevy Duck.

The NTSB website mentions the W-12 as [N6039], an airplane that was damaged during tests in 1971 with Waterman himself on board.
The W-11 was [N262Y], which wasn't changed when it became a seaplane. Also, this site clearly gives the W-12 as a landplane:
https://www.aircraftprofile.com/aircraft/waterman-w-12-0562045.php

So it would seem the W-12 was a different machine after all. Thanks for bringing this designation to my attention!

Yes that's it,many thanks to you my dear Skyblazer.

From Flying magazine 1948-6,

what was this Waterman design ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    122 KB · Views: 35
In my opinion, the top drawing is the W-1 Flex-wing. The two other drawings combine various features of the W-4 Arrowplane and the W-5 Arrowbile. I'm not a Waterman expert, but I do not think they accurately depict any design.

From Vintage 1993.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 3.png
    3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
  • 4.png