Walden Aircrafts and projects.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
In 1906 Henry W.Walden, he graduated in dentistry, but before that he lived in Europe for a while, during which time he became very interested in aviation and became very passionate, and in 1908 he joined the Aeronautics Society of New York, where he acquired practical knowledge that allowed him to experiment with his ideas for aircraft design and build a practical airplane. Unfortunately, the first two airplanes he designed and built were not successful. learning from these failures,up until this time, most aircraft inventors had been following the model of the Wright Flyer, a biplane arrangement with two engines mounted as pushers, and a forward canard to control pitch. This model was considered reliable and therefore safe. Walden had another design vision for his first monoplane. After his first experiments with a classical biplane model of his own design in 1908-1909, he took the path of monoplane models. He had many novel ideas about aircraft control and stability - ailerons instead of wing warping, winglets, and an aft- mounted tail that controlled both pitch and yaw while in flight, as well as a single aft mounted pusher engine. He built his third airplane, a pusher type monoplane. He successfully flew this airplane on December 9th, 1909, which also was his first solo flight. This was the first manned flight of a monoplane built in the United States. From 1909 to 1913 he built a series of planes the Walden: (I-II 1909)-(III 1909)-(IV-V-VI 1910)-(VII-VIII-IX-X 1911)-(XI-XII 1913).

Attachments

• walden III.jpg
    walden III.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Walden IX.jpg
    Walden IX.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 73
  • Walden- IX.jpg
    Walden- IX.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 75
  • wald01.jpg
    wald01.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Excuse me dear Klem,,

from Flying magazine 1958/1,those strange aircraft or projects ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    953.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
Excuse me dear Klem,,

from Flying magazine 1958/1,those strange aircraft or projects ?.
From 1909 to 1913 he built a series of Walden aircraft: (I-II 1909)-(III 1909)-(IV-V-VI 1910)-(VII-VIII-IX-X 1911)-(XI-XII 1913). This is what is reported in various bibliographical notes. The other attempts are surely projected models that never went beyond the stage of exhibition models such as the radio-controlled-aerial-torpedo.see here (https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...rolled-aerial-torpedo-1915.38431/#post-504650)

In 1906 Henry W.Walden, he graduated in dentistry, but before that he lived in Europe for a while, during which time he became very interested in aviation and became very passionate, and in 1908 he joined the Aeronautics Society of New York, where he acquired practical knowledge that allowed him to experiment with his ideas for aircraft design and build a practical airplane. Unfortunately, the first two airplanes he designed and built were not successful. learning from these failures,up until this time, most aircraft inventors had been following the model of the Wright Flyer, a biplane arrangement with two engines mounted as pushers, and a forward canard to control pitch. This model was considered reliable and therefore safe. Walden had another design vision for his first monoplane. After his first experiments with a classical biplane model of his own design in 1908-1909, he took the path of monoplane models. He had many novel ideas about aircraft control and stability - ailerons instead of wing warping, winglets, and an aft- mounted tail that controlled both pitch and yaw while in flight, as well as a single aft mounted pusher engine. He built his third airplane, a pusher type monoplane. He successfully flew this airplane on December 9th, 1909, which also was his first solo flight. This was the first manned flight of a monoplane built in the United States. From 1909 to 1913 he built a series of planes the Walden: (I-II 1909)-(III 1909)-(IV-V-VI 1910)-(VII-VIII-IX-X 1911)-(XI-XII 1913).
I am looking to create a museum model of the Walden III. Would you have any additional photographs of this plane so I can more accurately recreate some of the details (i.e. the tail wheel).

Perhaps the title of this topic could be modified to cover a longer period of time?
Here is a 1930 five-engine transport patent (from the Cradle of Aviation Museum archives), and it is definitely signed by H. W. Walden. He launched his company Walden Aircraft Co. in Long Island City, N.Y., in 1929, but eventually ended aircraft involvement in 1932 to return to the dental profession.

Note also that there exists a 1934 prototype, the Walden-Markey WM-1 [NC13206, c/n 10], but it is not confirmed as one of his designs. It was produced by Walden-Markey Inc., of Mill Basin (Brooklyn), N.Y. in 1932, and received Group 2 Approval #2-450. The company was co-founded by J. H. Walden & F. P. (or Roscoe?) Markey, and it seems plausible to me that J.H. may have been a relative, but that is only guesswork on my part.

Attachments

• 'Walden 15'  NACA Proposal Sketch or Patent Sketch (1930).jpg
    'Walden 15' NACA Proposal Sketch or Patent Sketch (1930).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 16
  • WM-1 (cropped & enhanced).jpg
    WM-1 (cropped & enhanced).jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 14

Attachments

• 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 46.jpg