• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Virgin Orbit - Cornwall Spaceport

RavenOne

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
As you all know I attended FIAS2018 on business (see my photos of Tempest). Wondering into Hall 1 and spotted Lego space model competition on the South West Aerospace Forum, so stopped to drop ones card off. Noticed model of Virgin 747-800 and rocket underneath, thus the billboards advertising Cornwall Spaceport...at Newquay International Airport. As the announcement was made on the monday announcing Newquay int as launch site .....

For those of you who knew of our former RAF St Mawgan which was home to Nimrod MRA1 squadrons and RAF Sea King Training Unit (SKTU), and former US Naval Weapons Faciility and subesequentUS Navy Joint Maritime Force. Some parts of the airport are RAF albeit MoD JOINT Services Survival Resistance Escape school. Leonardo Training Acdemy uses it to train customers for the likes of AW101, AW159, AW139 etc...

Anyhow I took a couple of snaps of the models

http://www.spaceportcornwall.com/

cheers

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Scramble Magazine on FB has a nice set of picture of Cosmic girl fitted with its special pylon:

https://www.facebook.com/Scramblemagazine/photos/a.216124641747411/2380695021957018/

Attachments

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Giant leap for Cornwall as £20 million secured for spaceport

Cornwall Council will provide up to £12 million funding for the scheme, subject to approval by full council, alongside up to £7.85 million from the UK Space Agency.

A further contribution of £0.5 million will come from the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly Local Enterprise Partnership.

The funding will allow Spaceport Cornwall and US launch operator Virgin Orbit, which is also investing an additional £2.5 million, to develop facilities and operational capabilities that would enable small satellite launch from Cornwall in the early 2020s.