• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Vigilante T249/T250 AA System

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
If you thought the GAU-8 on the A-10 was something this was a 37mm gatling gun. ISTR they tested up to 40mm but it didn't ever make it on a chassis.

Attachments

• T249 Vigilante.jpg
    T249 Vigilante.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 2,100

hermankeil

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
In 1958 I worked as a contract draftsman at Sperry Utah on the Vigilante. It has only taken me 48 years to see what the complete vehicle looked like. Thank you.
Herman

JohnR

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Couple of questions about the Vigilante:

What was the rate of fire of the 37mm gun ?

What would it's effective range have been ?

What chassis was it based on an M113 ?

Did G.E. produce the gun and was the GAU8 derived from it ?

Regards

RP1

I see the truth in it.
Reaction score
Website
rp-one.net
Some details on Vigilante and similar weapons:

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/RED%20QUEEN.htm

RP1

bsmart

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
sferrin said:
If you thought the GAU-8 on the A-10 was something this was a 37mm gatling gun. ISTR they tested up to 40mm but it didn't ever make it on a chassis.

I just found this site after having a thread on it mentioned another discussion board I visit. This picture of the T249 is at least 5 years old and I think actually many more. This picture was taken on the old 'Mile of Tanks' at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. The old Mile was disassembelled for reasons I won't go into now. Although in some ways it was a shame that such an impressive display is gone it did make some of the deterioration of the vehicles obvious and has enabled some to be put through the 'refurb facility' at Aberdeen (No they don't make them run but they do cleanup, patch, clean up environmentally dangerous paint and lubricants and repaint them with modern (non lead based) paint)

The T249 has been through refurb and last time I was at Aberdeen ( a couple weeks ago) ws sitting outside the refurb facility. I get up there on a semi-regular basis and volunteer at the Ordnance Museum so if anyone is interested I can see what is in the records there (some of the vehicle records are pretty thin, some are better)

Bob Smart (bsmart@xecu.net)

Rickshaw

Reaction score
Sorry to re-awaken an old thread but I was wondering, does anybody have a three-view drawing of the T249 Vigilante?

C

CostasTT

Kadija_Man said:
Sorry to re-awaken an old thread but I was wondering, does anybody have a three-view drawing of the T249 Vigilante?

Hunnicutt's Bradley book has a three-view of the chassis, but without the turret.

Attachments

• T249.JPG
    T249.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 1,073
C

CostasTT

You're welcome. I went over the book again, just in case, but there was no three-view of the turret.

Jemiba

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Kadija_Man said:
Similar but not the same. Note the lack of an elevated driver's position in this photo as against the picture at the start of the thread.

That driver's position made me wonder, if it perhaps could be lowered ? If used against ground targets rotation of
the turret would have been hindered, and according to the linked site the gun was intended to be used against
such targets, too.

C

CostasTT

It's not a T249 chassis, but a M474 Pershing 1 system vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pershing_missile

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Foxerjr/M474%20Missile%20Carrier/?start=all

Rickshaw

Reaction score
Was there any radar associated with the US Vigilante system or was it visual sights only? Do you know of any drawings of this vehicle? I assume its an M113 chassis?

Tony Williams

Reaction score
Website
www.quarryhs.co.uk
No mention of radar in anything I can recall seeing, and I have no drawings. As my article says, the Vigilante used a stretched M113 chassis.

Madurai

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Vigilante had an onboard radar, mounted just above the missile pod--though the intent was to provide an all-in-one-vehicle search and engagement capability, it's likely that this would have been supplemented by a dedicated early-warning radar set accompanying the battery.

The test vehicle was M113-based, though the plan was to move the system onto a chassis based on the M551 Sheridan.

Sea Skimmer

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
You are confusing Vigilante, which was a 37mm galting gun system, with Mauler which was the radar command guided missile.

Vigilante didn't have radar, just like the M42 duster it was supposed to replace didn't. The horrendous US Army experience with the on mount radar of Skysweeper was almost certainly a factor in that. Chassis was indeed a M113, though I'm not sure it really was lengthened as some sources have claimed. If it was, I've seen it in person before they removed one from Aberdeen, it wasn't by much and it still had five road wheels per side, unlike the planned six wheeled version for the operational Mauler.

Abraham Gubler

Reaction score
“Bradley: A History of American Fighting and Support Vehicles” by R. P. Hunnicutt has a section on air defence versions of the M113 which provides some Vigilante details including quite a bit of information and imagery. It mentions and portrays the Vigilante B (self propelled version, Vigilante A was the towed version) with the “XM17 radar target alarm” (aka surveillance radar). There is quite a bit more information and pictures about Vigilante from this source that I can follow up in another post but don’t have the time right now.

Attachments

• vigi1.png
    vigi1.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 640
  • vigi2.png
    vigi2.png
    176.5 KB · Views: 611

tround

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
enjoy

Attachments

• t324e22.jpg
    t324e22.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 117
  • vigilante. PH1.jpg
    vigilante. PH1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 94
  • vigilante. PH.jpg
    vigilante. PH.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 94
  • vigilante fire control.pdf
    659.1 KB · Views: 44
  • vigilante 3.jpg
    vigilante 3.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 311
  • vigilante.2.jpg
    vigilante.2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 372
  • vigilante.jpg
    vigilante.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 323

tround

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
other informations

Attachments

• vigilante 4.jpg
    vigilante 4.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 90
  • vigilante 5.jpg
    vigilante 5.jpg
    477 KB · Views: 83
  • vigilante 6.jpg
    vigilante 6.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 74

Abraham Gubler

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to read it yet but six pages and a .pdf including PH data on the Vigilante. Good work that man! Or in this case: Good work that Tround!

Tony Williams

Reaction score
Website
www.quarryhs.co.uk
Thanks for reviving this one. I would like to add another detailed source of information on this subject, from the Springfield Armory Museum: http://ww2.rediscov.com/spring/VFPC...g/DETAILS.IDC,SPECIFIC=10839,DATABASE=objects

I have been trying to resolve a question about the ammunition used for some time. and in particular the ballistics; there is some confusion because two different guns were developed, the T250X-1 and T250-X2. Also, two cartridges were developed, a "long" and a "short" one (37 x 255 and 37 x 217), both firing the same projectile. I have examples of both in my collection, as shown below:

37mmVigilante.JPG

Interestingly, the information in this Springfield document states that in July-Dec 1957 consideration was given to "shortening the ammunition case 1 1/2 inches" for the model X-2. That implies pretty clearly that the long round came in the X-1, the short one in the X-2.

However, the document posted by Tround in May 2013 includes a data sheet which quotes the muzzle velocities as 3,000 fps standard (I can't quite make out the designation - is it T423E-22?), or 3,600 fps for the "improved" version. This implies that the short round came before the long one, since the long one will obviously be associated with the higher muzzle velocity. Yet another oddity is the photo of the ammo in this report seems to be of the long-cased one.

I am inclined to believe the Springfield report, because my two examples are headstamped 1957 (long) and 1960 (short).

I understand that only two actual gun systems were built: one on a towed mounting, the other one on the tracked SPAAG mounting. I wonder if they both fired the 37 x 217 ammo or if one came in 37 x 255?

Last edited: