Reaction score

Attachments

• Bell-Ryan-Vertol Tilt Wing Concept Art - 1.jpg
    Bell-Ryan-Vertol Tilt Wing Concept Art - 1.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 1,029
  • Bell-Ryan-Vertol Tilt Wing Concept Art - 2.jpg
    Bell-Ryan-Vertol Tilt Wing Concept Art - 2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 991
I haven't seen this project before, but the logo on the tail is definitely Vertol's. The description mentions the "Vertol 119F"... and I think that's exactly what it is (see attachment).

Your topic's title refers to the whole set of glass slides and is therefore confusing.

Attachments

• vertol1.gif
    vertol1.gif
    105.3 KB · Views: 903
  • Boeing-Vertol-119F.JPG
    Boeing-Vertol-119F.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 863
Orionblamblam said:
Neat. I've put in my bid...
If you had not, I would have. As 'tis, I shall not engage in a bidding war. I am prepared to backstop you if someone else does.

My current bid is about as high as I'm able to go on this. Hopefully this sort of thing isn't of interest to the bidders who scored most of the recent Boeing documents and blueprints, driving prices to over $400 each...

Orionblamblam said:
My current bid is about as high as I'm able to go on this. Hopefully this sort of thing isn't of interest to the bidders who scored most of the recent Boeing documents and blueprints, driving prices to over $400 each...
If it goes up, I'll do my best to grab it.

Orionblamblam said:
Yay, no other bidders. Capturing the imagery from such an obscure form of medium will require some photographic trickery, but shouldn't be too difficult. I'll keep y'all apprised.

Cool. Glad you won the bid. Looking forward (as much because of the artwork itself as to find out how you managed with the "photographic trickery"...). ;)

Skyblazer said:
Orionblamblam said:
Yay, no other bidders. Capturing the imagery from such an obscure form of medium will require some photographic trickery, but shouldn't be too difficult. I'll keep y'all apprised.

Cool. Glad you won the bid. Looking forward (as much because of the artwork itself as to find out how you managed with the "photographic trickery"...). ;)

The Plan:
1: Take a DSLR camera, attach a long lens to it.
2: Tape one of the slides to one end of a long cardboard tube, 4" in diameter, several feet long
3: Get a piece of white foam board, put on outside of the slide-end of the tub at a 45-or-so-degree angle
4: Put tube and board in the sunlight so that the board beyond the slide is well lit, no shadow
5: Stick camera in other end of tube so that the only thing it can see is the sunlit slide at the other end.
6: Zoom, focus, take a billion shots, ditch all but a couple of the best.
7: Rinse and repeat with the rest.

Glad you got them Scott. You might also try to scan them like a slide - have done that on my Epson V700 with good results.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

They've arrived. I'll attack scanning them in a couple different ways. Much too big to cram into the 35mm slide scanner on my flatbed. The slides appear to be thin plastic film sandwiched between sheets of glass, so once I do everything I can with them as-is, I'll pop one out of the glass and see what I can accomplish.

As some may know, I've recently been on a high-rez scanning binge. Finally got around to scanning the Vertol 119F transparencies. At first glace the reddish scans look pretty awful... but throw in just a little bit of "fade correction" and they come right to life. There are some artifacts brought on by being transparencies, such as moire interference patterns. I suppose the best way to deal with that is to fine a way to *really* squish the films flat on the scan bed.

Attachments

• vertol 119f a.jpg
    vertol 119f a.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 294
  • vertol 119f a1.jpg
    vertol 119f a1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 93
  • vertol 119f b.jpg
    vertol 119f b.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 80
  • vertol 119f b1.jpg
    vertol 119f b1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 84
Orionblamblam said:
As some may know, I've recently been on a high-rez scanning binge. Finally got around to scanning the Vertol 119F transparencies. At first glace the reddish scans look pretty awful... but throw in just a little bit of "fade correction" and they come right to life. There are some artifacts brought on by being transparencies, such as moire interference patterns. I suppose the best way to deal with that is to fine a way to *really* squish the films flat on the scan bed.

NEAT!

Now balance out the red, green and blue hues, lighten up the darker areas, clean up all the stains and reflections... and presto! It's almost good enough for a desktop pic!

Attachments

• V-119F (Skyblazer).jpg
    V-119F (Skyblazer).jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 195
I have original notes and drawings on this aircraft. I’d like to know more about if it ever made it to production. Thanks!
No, it was strictly a concept only, though other tiltwing designs were built. Would be interested to see the notes and drawings - it's not a well-known design.

Presumably it dates from around 1960.

Last edited: