Vedovelli Fantôme

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Spotted while looking for something else entirely - http://airminded.org/2008/01/15/the-colour-out-of-aerospace/ - so ugly it deserves a topic of its own.
I can't take my eyes off it. I honestly can't decide whether it's ugly or beautiful. But it is somehow deeply, fundamentally, disturbingly, horrifyingly wrong. It is eldritch. It's like something H. P. Lovecraft might have dreamed up, if he'd been an aircraft designer and wanted just the thing for the airminded cultist to nip down from Arkham Aerodrome to the nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh for the weekend.

Attachments

• Vedo Villi 1.jpg
    Vedo Villi 1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Vedo Villi 2.jpg
    Vedo Villi 2.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Vedo Villi 3.jpg
    Vedo Villi 3.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Vedo Villi 5.jpg
    Vedo Villi 5.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 115
  • Vedo Villi 4.jpg
    Vedo Villi 4.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 109
Re: Vedovilli

It is the Vedovelli Fantôme. Vedovelli was an electrical equipment manufacturer. The Vedovelli and Priestly Electric Carriage Company, France.

{{cite book |last=Opdycke |first=Leonard E. |title=French Aeroplanes before the Great War |year=1999 |publisher=SchifferPublishing Limited |location=Atglen |isbn=0-7643-0752-5}} pages 256 - 257

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=o8JKDwAAQBAJ&pg=PP60&lpg=PP60&dq=Vedovelli+-+compaNY+FRANCE&source=bl&ots=ytQfMTg55r&sig=LiPx6FJZaPU7oP50-oMsrurKYfU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjYgtC14q_dAhUEXLwKHSrEC_wQ6AEwAHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Vedovelli%20-%20compaNY%20FRANCE&f=false

Re: Vedovilli

Arjen, or moderators, please edit the title of the first post to correct the spelling, for further reference.
The name is "Vedovelli", after its designer Édouard Vedovelli.

It is not clear to me whether "fantôme" was a name ever used by Vedovelli himself, or whether it is an invention by journalists sensation-writing about the "machine that had been hauting the Issy les Moulineaux airfield" from 1910 to 1912.

Those photos are copied from originals at the Musée de l'air et de l'Espace in Paris.

Back
Top Bottom