• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Various UAV and UCAV designs from the USA

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

jsport

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Much like the USA FTUAS and ALE need to be the same program ie a UAV launched from a Ah-64E needs to have some real capability, the USAF Loyal wingman UAV and this Next Generation UAS ISR/Strike Platform need to be the same program. The problem is both services seems to fine w/tube and wing aircraft. Likewise, NGAD/FA-XX also needs to be confined to BWBs.

AeroFranz

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
The BWB planform is not suitable for supersonic flight for at least four of five reasons, off the top of my head. Mostly related to aerodynamics and stability and control.

jsport

Reaction score
The BWB planform is not suitable for supersonic flight for at least four of five reasons, off the top of my head. Mostly related to aerodynamics and stability and control.
First of all, a Reaper replacement may well not need to a supersonic. This NG 6G proposal sure looks like a Hybrid/BWB to me.

Attachments

DWG

Reaction score
" WASHINGTON: House appropriators are worried that the Air Force’s latest try to replace the MQ-Reaper isn’t fully baked "

Is that a polite way of saying it's half-baked?

AeroFranz

Reaction score
First of all, a Reaper replacement may well not need to a supersonic. This NG 6G proposal sure looks like a Hybrid/BWB to me.
>> NGAD/FA-XX also needs to be confined to BWBs

FA-XX will definitely be supersonic, so BWB will not work. I agree an MQ-9 replacement will likely not be supersonic.

What is shown in the picture you posted is known as delta planform. Much higher sweep, lower aspect ratio than a BWB. The hybrid wing body, as designed by Lockheed, adds vestigial tail and empennage to the BWB planform.

Last edited:

jsport

Reaction score
>> NGAD/FA-XX also needs to be confined to BWBs

FA-XX will definitely be supersonic, so BWB will not work. I agree an MQ-9 replacement will likely not be supersonic.

What is shown in the picture you posted is known as delta planform. Much higher sweep, lower aspect ratio than a BWB. The hybrid wing body, as designed by Lockheed, adds vestigial tail and empennage to the BWB planform.
NG's proposal is not a tube and wing, it is a body blended into the wing, enough said.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Jsport, you seem to be using the terms "BWB" and a blended fuselage/wing interchangeably. BWB has a very distinct connotation.

enough said.
sorry i'm wasting your time.

jsport

Reaction score
Jsport, you seem to be using the terms "BWB" and a blended fuselage/wing interchangeably. BWB has a very distinct connotation.

enough said.
sorry i'm wasting your time.
This subject was previously argued over for days w/ nothing but confusing dogma, corporate spin and opinions being presented. Yes best to stop.

yasotay

Reaction score
Not super sexy, but it looks like an air vehicle that does not need school trained maintainers constantly working on the guts. If it can get the troops what they need it might be worth consideration. Devil remains in the details though.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
IMOHO the only problems are the load size restricted by the biplan layout with an enclosing aerodynamic shell and the pull up manoeuvre they have to do right in the last mile alerting everyone where you hide with a nice ear shattering buzzing noise (high loaded prop).

The good point are - as mentionnd above - dependability and being scalable.

They should use the concept as a vertically launched towing bird for a plywood/cartboard cargo glider.

jsport

Reaction score
AUVSI is also taking issue with Congress’ misunderstanding of UMS operations, focusing on the reliability of individual components rather than that of the system as a whole, ignoring the operational context in which the UMS will be used. Unmanned systems have well-documented reliability in the commercial sector performing in a range of demanding and complex environments, including deep-water exploration. If Congress attempts to apply unique reliability requirements to UMS use by the U.S. Navy, it will only serve to drive up cost, decrease competition and significantly delay fielding of the systems to the war fighters that need them.
While Congress has previously demonstrated its support for the growth and integration of unmanned systems in the future Navy fleet architecture, its reliability concerns and proposed funding cuts in this instance are misplaced. Industry has determined that the wholeness of autonomy is critical to mission duration and success, and the emphasis on testing reliability should be on that wholeness rather than focusing on individual components. What’s more, the Navy’s R&D effort is already working to field systems that can prove reliability in a realistic operational context.

jsport

Reaction score