Various Pre-WWII Soviet Projects & Prototypes

Skyblazer said:
Was "SAMOLYET" simply a Russian-language version of the English "FLIGHT"? I shouldn't think so.

Of course it wasn't ;).

Skyblazer said:
Also,doesn't "SAMOLYET" translate as "AIRCRAFT" rather than "FLIGHT"??

"Samolyot" means "airplane", not even "aircraft". "Letatel'nyi apparat" means "aircraft" of whatever kind. "Polyot" means "flight".

Skyblazer said:
I've translated this beautiful chart for Western eyes (see attachment) leaving the bottom notes untouched (I'm not capable of handling this) and with also a couple of interrogations. Indeed, I've worked out that "NP" meant "low-wing monoplane", "VP" meant "high-wing monoplane", "PP" meant "parasol wing monoplane", "B" meant biplane, and "LK" meant "flying wing". However I'm still confused with the letters "M" and "MP", especially since the photos of the Kalinin and NIAI aircraft didn't show anything but low-wing monoplanes (I haven't a photo of the OSGA). Also, I want confirmation that "articulated wing" is a correct translation for "mekhaniz. krylo". Thanks!

"PP" means sesquiplane ("polutoraplan" in Russian).
"M" means simply "monoplane". By the way, K-9 was parasol-wing, OSGA-101 was high-wing, and NIAI-1 (Fanera-2)... I'm doubtful to identify correct what it was.
"MP" seems to be a misprint for "M" or "NP". K-10 was low-wing of course.

You can see OSGA-101 in the attachments. It was civil version of the Chetverikov SPL - slightly bigger and non-foldable.

Bottom notes:
1. With the AIR-1 aircraft, pilot Piontkovsky in 1926 performed Moscow-Sevastopol-Moscow flight, establishing World and All-Union records for its class. (1926 year looks to be a misprint, as the event took place in July 1927 actually. - Redstar72)
2. With the Burevestnik S-4 aircraft, pilot Zhukov in 1927 established World altitude record for its class: 5000 m.
3. With the AIR-3 aircraft, pilot Koshitz in 1929 performed Moscow - Northern Caucasus - Moscow flight, overcoming 1700 km during 10 hours without landing and establishing new World record in its class.

Attachments

• OSGA-101_1.jpg
    OSGA-101_1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 319
  • OSGA-101_2.jpg
    OSGA-101_2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 31.png
    31.png
    177.4 KB · Views: 110
Hi,

Mr. M. P. Beshastnov designed and built a single seat trainer monoplane,very
looks like Polikarpov I-16,called MB-1 and powered by one M-11 engine.

Hi,

in a Russian book,I saw this drawing,and I don't know what was it ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 132
hesham said:
Thank you my dear Cy-27,

there is anther tandem-wing ultralight aircraft,built in Tashkent by the designer
Sidoryenko,flying 1936,powered by one 17 hp Aubier-Dunne engine.

That sounds suspicously like a Mignet HM.14 Pou-du-Ciel right down to the engine.

hesham said:
Hi,
in a Russian book,I saw this drawing,and I don't know what was it ?.

This is actually a Polish design, not Russian. This is so-called śniegolot ("snowflyer") named Stratus, designed and built by Jozef Borzecki in Wroclaw in early 1960s. Actually a version of motor glider of the same name and author, with wings dismounted, skis installed, used as a kind of aerosled. The original Stratus motor glider can be seen here:
http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/553/126/Borzecki

hesham said:
the BOK-11 was a pressurized cabin recce aircraft,the BOK-12 was a twin engined version
of BOK-7 as experimental aircraft project,the BOK-15 was high-altitude stratospheric aircraft
project,and a poor quality of drawings to 11 & 15.

http://www.litmir.info/br/?b=175559&p=11

Here is a clearer views to drawings for BOK-11 and BOK-15.

Attachments

• BOK-15.png
    BOK-15.png
    375 KB · Views: 798
  • BOK-11.png
    BOK-11.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 807
From Авиация и космонавтика 2013-3,

what was this ?.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 684
Dear heshsam!

The inscription says "Jet stratospheric glider climbs to the sky".
I think, without other details from the article (of course, if it;s exists) this picture is quite uninformative.

So, please, don't hesitate the whole article on Russian, if it's possible ;)

Ok my dear Silencer,

here we go.

Attachments

• 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 641
  • 1-2.png
    1-2.png
    595.1 KB · Views: 529
The scans of page contain the following, very general description of Grokhovskiy' project (or proposal), dated by 1930th:

"Pavel Grohovskiy offered the project of "stratostat" (stratosphere' aerostat), more precisely - stratospheric glider. hangar in the shape of tall building has been the important part of the whole project. Hydrogen-filled balloon placed inside it, ready for take-off. Instead of spheric gondola, two-seat glider with pressurized cabin, would be attached to balloon. After reaching the 35 km of altitude, and after completion of surveys, glider' crew would separate it from balloon and descend for landing. Ballon will descend separately.
Moreover, Grokovskiy proposed to equip glider with rocket engine, thus convert it to rocket plane. After separation it could ascend up to 50 km altitude, to the border of space".

Another Grokhovsiy brilliant idea, one of the many ideas that made the way to space shorter, in my humble opinion.

here is more info about Grohovskiy "Стратопланер"
and info link http://epizodsspace.airbase.ru/bibl/tm/1939/2/rs.html

Attachments

• page0037.jpg
    page0037.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 104
  • page0036.jpg
    page0036.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 112
  • page0035.jpg
    page0035.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 113
  • page0034.jpg
    page0034.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 90
  • page0033.jpg
    page0033.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 97
Here is a clearer view to BOK-11.

Все самолеты-разведчики СССР: "Глаза" армии и Флота

Attachments

• BOK-11.png
    BOK-11.png
    327.2 KB · Views: 99
Only just found this fascinating ‘Stratoplan’ stuff just now – many thanks to Vladimir and Hesham for these great finds.
Pardon my lack of Russian – I’m having to fall back on Google Translate – but the attached image comes from http://vivovoco.astronet.ru/VV/JOURNAL/VIET/STRATO/STRATO.HTM
And the caption seems to translate as: “Tests stratoplanera PI Grochowski. 1935”

From the same site (again via Google Translate):
“The most original proposal was a famous inventor, author and chief designer of the Experimental Institute of the People's Commissariat of Heavy Industry at the Red Army weapons PI Grochowski replace the traditional spherical gondola stratospheric special glider. Large glider, very durable, with a pressurized cockpit, lifted into the stratosphere gas cylinder, if shell accident could disengage from it and glide back to the ground. When unhitching at an altitude of 10,000 meters, he would plan not less than 40-50 km, and under favorable conditions, and more than 100 km. Thus gondola- "stratoplaner" has always been able to fly to a suitable landing site, or even return to the airfield from which the start was given.”
Thanks and all best,
‘Wingknut’

Attachments

• Test stratoplanera PI Grochowski (1935).JPG
    Test stratoplanera PI Grochowski (1935).JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 117
Hi,

I think we spoke about this aircraft before,but here ?.

Супер бомбовозы Сталина

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 166
Vakhmistrov preliminary project "Aviamatka" - flying aircraft carrier (first half of 1930)

Hi,

what was this Sketch,aircraft or nothing ?.

Авиация и Космонавтика 2016-04

Attachments

• 4-2.png
    4-2.png
    328.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 4-1.png
    4-1.png
    528.4 KB · Views: 771
  • 3-2.png
    3-2.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 830
  • 3-1.png
    3-1.png
    648.5 KB · Views: 947
  • 2.png
    2.png
    277.1 KB · Views: 1,005
redstar72 said:
Skyblazer said:
Was "SAMOLYET" simply a Russian-language version of the English "FLIGHT"? I shouldn't think so.

Of course it wasn't ;).

Skyblazer said:
Also,doesn't "SAMOLYET" translate as "AIRCRAFT" rather than "FLIGHT"??

"Samolyot" means "airplane", not even "aircraft". "Letatel'nyi apparat" means "aircraft" of whatever kind. "Polyot" means "flight".

Skyblazer said:
I've translated this beautiful chart for Western eyes (see attachment) leaving the bottom notes untouched (I'm not capable of handling this) and with also a couple of interrogations. Indeed, I've worked out that "NP" meant "low-wing monoplane", "VP" meant "high-wing monoplane", "PP" meant "parasol wing monoplane", "B" meant biplane, and "LK" meant "flying wing". However I'm still confused with the letters "M" and "MP", especially since the photos of the Kalinin and NIAI aircraft didn't show anything but low-wing monoplanes (I haven't a photo of the OSGA). Also, I want confirmation that "articulated wing" is a correct translation for "mekhaniz. krylo". Thanks!

"PP" means sesquiplane ("polutoraplan" in Russian).
"M" means simply "monoplane". By the way, K-9 was parasol-wing, OSGA-101 was high-wing, and NIAI-1 (Fanera-2)... I'm doubtful to identify correct what it was.
"MP" seems to be a misprint for "M" or "NP". K-10 was low-wing of course.

You can see OSGA-101 in the attachments. It was civil version of the Chetverikov SPL - slightly bigger and non-foldable.

Bottom notes:
1. With the AIR-1 aircraft, pilot Piontkovsky in 1926 performed Moscow-Sevastopol-Moscow flight, establishing World and All-Union records for its class. (1926 year looks to be a misprint, as the event took place in July 1927 actually. - Redstar72)
2. With the Burevestnik S-4 aircraft, pilot Zhukov in 1927 established World altitude record for its class: 5000 m.
3. With the AIR-3 aircraft, pilot Koshitz in 1929 performed Moscow - Northern Caucasus - Moscow flight, overcoming 1700 km during 10 hours without landing and establishing new World record in its class.

Thank you so much redstar72 for your detailed remarks and valuable corrections. I always deeply appreciate your posts and this one is no exception!

Sorry about the long quote, but this was a few pages ago and I haven't been on this topic for months, so without the context my "thank you" message would have seemed a little strange...

hesham said:
and here is a side view to Myasishchev VM-18,it was a project for day bomber DB-108 with
2 VK-108 engines,1945.
index.php

I'm really surprised that no topics about Myasishchev seem to exist in the Early Projects section. Or is just that I can't find them?
I'm positive we once had a topic covering all the early Myasishchev types before the M- series began...

Skyblazer wrote
I'm really surprised that no topics about Myasishchev seem to exist in the Early Projects section

It might be because he spent most of the inter-war period working within other design groups. Until 1946 he was undertaking work for Tupolev (ANT-20, TB-1 & TB-3), Lisunov (Li-2) the NKVD prison design bureau (Pe-2) and Petlyakov (Pe-2I &Pe-2M) on their project work. The DVB series of long-range high-altitude bombers only began in 1942 which is when the first references to him as a project leader are noted.

My notes have him working between 1946-1951 Myasischev was a Ffaculty Dean of the Moscow Aviation Institute (MAI), which takes us into the post-war era before the better known 'M-' design series appear.

It probably does not help that his name is transliterated in so many ways (Myasishchev/Myashischev/Myatshishev etc) that the best way to search is usually by aircraft type names!

DVB - http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,18500.msg265166.html#msg265166
Myashischev - http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,779.msg178081.html#msg178081

Thanks a lot for location the DVB topic, Cy-27. I knew I wasn't crazy (well, no more than the ordinary madness at least!)

The trouble is, I looked for it in the Early Projects section while it's located in the Postwar Projects section!

Problem is, the DVB- series started in the late war years and continued after that, so it's not easy... Anyway, at least I can move hesham's post there. Thanks again!

From Kryl'ya Rodine 1-2/2016,

here is a Project for A.P. Golubkov for flying boat,based on Tupolev MTB-2.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    267.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 2.png
    2.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 1.png
    1.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 141
Hi,

early Petlyakov Pe.2 sketch.

Attachments

• bb.png
    bb.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 138
A model for BOK-7;

http://warfiles.ru/show-99269-stratosfernyy-prizrak-stalina-bok-15.html

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 144
hesham said:
Ok my dear Silencer,

here we go.

And from Техника молодежи 1939-02

Attachments

• 6.png
    6.png
    622.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 5.png
    5.png
    631 KB · Views: 75
  • 4.png
    4.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.png
    3.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.png
    2.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1.png
    1.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 82
hesham said:
Mr S.S. Ivanovich Kamenyev designed a ultra-light diploma project of 1925,powered
by one 18 hp Blackburn Tomtit engine,built and flown in 1926,also any picture ?.

It was called OSO-1.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201926%20012.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    903.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.png
    2.png
    677.3 KB · Views: 111
Very interesting, the design appears to be strongly influenced by the British Lympne trials ultralight aircraft of 1923, especially the de Havilland DH.53 Hummingbird.

In Kryl'ya Rodine 6/2016,

the BOK-4 was itself Cheranovsk BICh-10.

Attachments

• d.png
    d.png
    596 KB · Views: 116
  • c.png
    c.png
    735.9 KB · Views: 118
Hi,

we know the Kharkov KhAI-3,here is a strange drawing to it from L'Ala d'Italia magazine,
but the engine in different position ?.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/biblioteca/periodici/PDF%20Riviste/Ala%20d'Italia/L'ALA%20D'ITALIA%201936%2002.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    544.2 KB · Views: 110
  • image154_6.jpg
    image154_6.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 125
One design iterations. This illustration was originally published in the magazine "Техника воздушного флота/Air Force Engineering" in 1935.

Hi!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petlyakov_VI-100

http://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=1610
"The Petlyakov VI-100 heavy interceptor was a well-armed and aerodynamically-refined aircraft for its time but changing requirements for the Soviet Air Force led to its rebirth as the Pe-2 dive bomber."

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Arts/Art5472.htm

First flight : 22 December 1939. She had pressurised cabin and turbochargers. :eek:

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/fww2/vi100.html

Attachments

• vi100-1[1].gif
    vi100-1[1].gif
    293 KB · Views: 658
  • Engine m-105R-clearly visible turbocharger.jpg
    Engine m-105R-clearly visible turbocharger.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 652
  • 5-1.jpg
    5-1.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 701
  • 4-1.jpg
    4-1.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 728
What is bottom aircraft?

DB-108 bomer?

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/db-108-sh2p185.jpg

"Long range daytime bomber, all-metal mid-wing development of the Pe-2I. Aircraft received new VK-108 engine and enlarged internal bomb bay, capable to accommodate new 2000kg bomb (shortened design). Long range fighter configuration was also considered, the bomb bay used for twin 37mm or 45mm cannons. DB-108 was built in two variants. Unarmed two-seater was first flown on December 30, 1944. Trials continued until June 1945. Three-seater was armed with three 20mm B-20 cannons and one 12.7mm UB machinegun, used for ground trials only. No series production followed. "

VB-109.
http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/vb-109.html
Home.
http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/pe-2.html

Attachments

• bdfzbfd.jpg
    bdfzbfd.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 633
  • db-108-sh2p185.jpg
    db-108-sh2p185.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 159
Is this PB-100?

Attachments

• 1_zpsgmucisbp.png
    1_zpsgmucisbp.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 158
1) This is Pe-2 M-82 (sample 1943)
2) The first prototype of the VI-100 was modernized from high-altitude fighter in dive bomber, after which
received the designation PB-100. It was supposed to build a small series of 30 aircraft (by the end of 1940) (No pressurized cabin and turbochargers.)
3) DB-108 preliminary design ...

Attachments

• PB-100.jpg
    PB-100.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 166
  • preliminary design.jpg
    preliminary design.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DB-108 -II.jpg
    DB-108 -II.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 204
Back