V-345 Kingfisher II VO-VS Design

Bill S

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I searched through the topics and did not see one for the V-345 Kingfisher II.
This was a VO-VS design that Vought tried to sell the Navy.
Vought Aircraft Heritage Foundation

bill

Attachments

• xCVS-14000-V-345-General-Arrangement-VO-VS-Airplane.jpg
    xCVS-14000-V-345-General-Arrangement-VO-VS-Airplane.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,848
Many thanks for this one ! I'm surprised, that after the war, still a float plane was offered, as
the helicopter was on the horizon and more orders for other catapult launched aircraft were
already cancelled.

Interesting, the Kingfisher is one of my favorites. Does anyone have any more info? Was this a new design or an upgrade of the original?

In John Hospers notes it looks like this was marketed to the US Navy in 1945-46 time frame.
The notes include discussion with VO-VS crews concerning what their wants and needs were for a new aircraft. I am still looking for technical specs.

Bill

In reading Hospers notes further they had a visit to the Bureau of Aeronautics in
December 1945 to present the new VO-VS airplane, Kingfisher - 2 Model V-345.

The few details mentioned included the ability to carry a stokes type stretcher,
provisions for Jato and APS-19 Radar. The engines mentioned are the R-1300 Wright Cyclone
and R-1340 Wasp engine it is not clear if they are the options or if the R-1300 is the preferred
power plant.

They were informed that there were no funds available primarily due to the Curtiss SC-2 and Edo
Aircraft XOSE-1 airplanes being manufactured.

More as I find it.

bill

Back
Top Bottom