Utah Monolith

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Nice video, and I have to say I`d never previously appreciated the importance of pop-rivets in space-travel. Still I`m sure the rivett heads will turn out to be made of elements previously unknown.

Our British "newspaper" The Guardian (heavy sarcasm) did a really balanced and well considered article on it:

"A giant, metal mystery slab has captured the attention of millions, as people speculate over how such a structure came to be in a remote part of southern Utah.
The object was first spotted last week by a helicopter pilot and wildlife officers who were flying above the rugged area to conduct an annual count of bighorn sheep for the state. It immediately drew comparisons to the monolith featured in 2001: A Space Odyssey as well as inviting suggestions it could be the work of extraterrestrials."

Probably slightly stupider than someone who thinks tongue-in-cheek comments about aliens in regards to a mysterious featureless monolith are serious.

That Venn diagram would be a circle.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpIjv6XSLM

9189283.jpg

ROTFL

Everybody knows Moon-Watcher was just pranking his tribe mates in 2001: A Space Odyssey. You can see him laughing his ass off in the background. That's why HAL went looney, he was laughing so hard inside his circuits while Dave and Frank were so serious all the time and weren't let in on the joke.

The explanation for the monolith is likely simple and uncomplicated. Such as aliens from Dimension 8 are using it as a weapon against aliens in Dimension 14. Earth being the ideal aiming point from which to attack. But since this is interdimensional combat, we can't see it firing. That sort of thing.

Everybody knows Moon-Watcher was just pranking his tribe mates in 2001: A Space Odyssey. You can see him laughing his ass off in the background. That's why HAL went looney, he was laughing so hard inside his circuits while Dave and Frank were so serious all the time and weren't let in on the joke.
When the film was first released in Spain, in 1968, a popular urban legend said that the monolith had been put there by Franco's censorship and that in the original version in English the apes worshipped a naked Raquel Welch!:D

Attachments

• 51JOTh5lhDL.__AC_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    51JOTh5lhDL.__AC_SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 29
  • one-million-years-bc-poster-for-1966-hammer-film-with-raquel-welch-B3KPW1.jpg
    one-million-years-bc-poster-for-1966-hammer-film-with-raquel-welch-B3KPW1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 28
Using flight tracking data, online detectives determined an approximate location near the Canyonlands National Park along the Colorado River, CNET reported. Then, using satellite images they figured out when it first appeared. Using historical Google Earth images, the monolith is not seen in August 2015 but appears in October 2016.

Still, is it a Hollywood prop or an art installation?

The time frame of its appearance coincides with when the science fiction drama “Westworld” was filming in the area, CNET reported. The location has also been the backdrop for a number of other productions, although some are less likely to have left the structure, including westerns from the 1940s to 1960s and the movies “127 Hours” and “Mission: Impossible 2.”

A spokeswoman for the Utah Film commission told The New York Times the monolith was not left behind from a film production.

Had I done this as a prank, I wouldn't have used rivets. No half measures, only a solid piece firmly embedded into the bedrock could do.

It's Gone!!!!

The work of an ambulatory piece of $hit who then sold it to the highest bidder. God, sometimes I hate people. Can't have anything nice.

Note: Do not leave objects installed illegally on public land unattended.

Last edited:
Now that the transdimensional war is over, the monolith/weapon has been moved to its original location.

Perhaps it was really some sort of (terrestrial) social experiment inspired by 2001 to see how long it would take these days for an unusual object in a remote location to be discovered and brought to worldwide attention. Once this was accomplished, whoever installed it removed it again, with its mission completed. Who knows, there might be more around the globe, still waiting to be found to yield more data points. Artists typically don't hide their creations in remote deserts rather than display them in galleries.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, typically Artists don't do anything... typical (at least that they want) .
New performances (art) like Banksy is today nearly an epiphenomenon so much it has been done.

What changes here is probably the way this was revealed to the public (the original tweet is in the funny thread (last page I think)). It was unexpectedly funny by being out of context (and on Twitter).

Last edited:
True, but if Banksy has ever done graffity in a remote desert rather than in urban settings that ensure near instantaneous large audiences, that then still has to be discovered as well.

Last edited: