• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

US Navy Cruisers Norman Friedman

uk 75

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
This is one of the Friedman books I missed buying when it was still in print, though I do have come photocopied pages on some of the postwar designs.
As I have most of his other naval books I was wondering whether there was any chance of him updating it or allowing it to be republished?
Amatheft ask silly prices for copies

DWG

Reaction score
It usually isn't down to authors as to whether things get republished, it's up to the publisher who holds the rights. There has been a fairly recent softback of his US Battleships book, Naval Institute Press 2016 according to my copy, so it's not impossible the cruisers one will reappear.

And there are an increasing number of his books on Kindle, though none of the US ones yet, which in some ways is superior for digging into the details of plans and pictures, and definitely superior if you're search for a particular phrase.

Moose

Reaction score
He's been working through his older works with Revised editions for awhile, in fact his revised history of US subs since 1945 just came out last year. I don't have any idea if or when a Revised edition of Cruisers would be on his schedule, unfortunately. I do wonder how recent events play on his decision-making for what books to return to: does he want to wait until the Large Surface Combatant is far enough along to appear in the latter part of the book, does he want to return to Destroyers again (there was already a Revised edition of that book in 2004) given recent history in the USN, or does he want to focus on other developments in naval construction that aren't traditional large American combatants?

uk 75

Reaction score
Judging by the cover this is the old edition reissued as a paperback like the Hunnicutt Armor series. Prefer hardbacks as mine get a lot of reading away from desk and they are easier to pile up

Moose

Reaction score
Pretty tempted by the softcover myself. My space and funds aren't unlimited, and I've been waiting in vain, for some years, to find a hardcover in decent condition at an attractive price.

uk 75

Reaction score
Pretty tempted by the softcover myself. My space and funds aren't unlimited, and I've been waiting in vain, for some years, to find a hardcover in decent condition at an attractive price.
Makes sense. I managed to find one on Fleabay for almost ok money. Suspect even the softcovers may get snapped up so prob worth doing.