Unmanned and Overhead Turret MBT's

JAZZ

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Here is a collection of MBT and IFV's with overhead turrets or unmanned turrets. I'm not sure I have all the names correctly assigned, and also I think a number are just postulated ideas.

Any corrections to the attachments is welcomed.

Attachments

• FR_AS-12, AS-22, AS-40.JPG
    FR_AS-12, AS-22, AS-40.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,043
  • FR_AS-21 MBT.JPG
    FR_AS-21 MBT.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 923
  • FR_not known, AS-31, AS-21.JPG
    FR_not known, AS-31, AS-21.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 859
  • FR_Tank Development.JPG
    FR_Tank Development.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 836
  • FR_TC2, TC3 and NG Euro Tank.JPG
    FR_TC2, TC3 and NG Euro Tank.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 895
  • GER_Leopard 3 Concepts, Borgward, MGCS.JPG
    GER_Leopard 3 Concepts, Borgward, MGCS.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 915
  • GER_Leopard 3, VTS-1 Italaina and Isreal concepts.JPG
    GER_Leopard 3, VTS-1 Italaina and Isreal concepts.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 884
  • POL_Bunmar Anders, PL01.JPG
    POL_Bunmar Anders, PL01.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 843
  • RUS_Object 490B, 490A, ADS, 299.JPG
    RUS_Object 490B, 490A, ADS, 299.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 847
  • RUS_object 450, 195, 148, UBM3, UKR_T-REX.JPG
    RUS_object 450, 195, 148, UBM3, UKR_T-REX.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 847
Others - again happy for people to point out errors

Attachments

• SWED_UDES 19 and XX20.JPG
    SWED_UDES 19 and XX20.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 808
  • SWED_UDES Series.JPG
    SWED_UDES Series.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 785
  • UK_Chertsey, JAP_STT B78.JPG
    UK_Chertsey, JAP_STT B78.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 771
  • UK_MBT Concepts.JPG
    UK_MBT Concepts.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 802
  • US_MBT Concepts_001.JPG
    US_MBT Concepts_001.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 816
  • US_MBT Concepts_002.JPG
    US_MBT Concepts_002.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 769
One editorial nit-pick. You have "ordinance" a couple of places where you mean "ordnance". "Ordinance" with an i is a a law or regulation, "ordnance" without an i is a weapon.

What kind of gun would be fitted? The NATO standard 120 mm or smaller calibers?

These are all different projects. I see ones with 105mm, 120mm, and I think even 140mm guns. Maybe even a 75mm (ISTR seeing one of the ARES gun designs but I could be mistaken).

What kind of gun would be fitted? The NATO standard 120 mm or smaller calibers?

These are all different projects. I see ones with 105mm, 120mm, and I think even 140mm guns. Maybe even a 75mm (ISTR seeing one of the ARES gun designs but I could be mistaken).
Ofcourse :) That would make sense :)
What is ISTR and what is the ARES gun?
I don't know much about tanks, but some of these have nice designs.
Is there a topic on completely unmanned tanks?

Kind regards,

Rob

A couple other photos I've collected of things relevant to this.

Rapid Deployment Force Light Tank/Elevated Kinetic Energy Test Vehicle (RDF/LT or ELKE), mounts the above-mentioned ARES 75mm automatic gun in an articulated unmanned turret to fire from a hull-down position. Came out of the same line of testing as the Teledyne Expeditionary Tank in the first couple posts, as a possible replacement for the M551 Sheridan and 2nd ACR's TOW Humvees. Lost out to the M8 Armored Gun System, which famously was then cancelled.

Quizz2.jpg
ELKE_002.jpg
img_47.jpg

M1 Abrams Tank Testbed (TTB) with unmanned turret:
abrams_7.jpg
TmupBlv.png

And just for fun, a slightly more fanciful depiction of the M1TTB and its German cousin from the Twilight 2000 roleplaying game, circa 1989:
Abrams A3.JPG
Leopard 3.PNG

Most of those look like mockups or static display models.
The concept is laudable, but recoil can be a huge issue if the turret is too tall.
Back during the 1990s, they built a few recce AFVs with sensors on extendable towers, but now the fashion is to fly a tiny photo-drone over the target and launch in-direct fire: mortar, howitzer or rocket.

Here's another one for your records, pretty much South African designed - It went on with further development, however it seems to have stopped at some point or another... (Janes IDR December 2002).

Attachments

• Dec 2002-19.jpg
    Dec 2002-19.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 464
corrections to the attachments is welcomed

RUS_object 450, 195, 148, UBM3, UKR_T-REX.JPG
That scalemodel photo with caption "Object 195" - actually shows another more detailed scalemodel of 490A.

Attachments

• 195 6552538.jpg
    195 6552538.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 446
  • 195-1b.jpg
    195-1b.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 485
Here is a collection of MBT and IFV's with overhead turrets or unmanned turrets. I'm not sure I have all the names correctly assigned, and also I think a number are just postulated ideas.

Pretty cool work!!!

i have actualy manage to found the name of the IFV that you called "air defence" . its the *2S38 "Derivatsya-PVO"* . it was born from the demend of the Russian Defense Ministry for a new maximum caliber for all of there APC's and IFV's , the "new" caliber is 57mm (auto-canon) . the remotely controled gun here is the Baikal AU-220M.
1605214862786.png

im not good with reaserches but i hope i helped.:)

Last edited:
That seems to be along the lines of the Swedish Bandkanon.

maybe yes or no. actually West world try their best to anty Russia armor waves.
USA made M1TTB CATTB. And one rifle squad with two FGM148 javelin.

British made study of 140mm rifle Cannon. maybe tried to ADD it to the challenger II atdu(a research center in Bovinton)test bed like cattb. (they didn't do that because of USSR gone)

Swiss Pz87-140 based on leopard II(in data it looks like the weakest west140 gun using Israel ammo)can pen more than1000mm
armour by apfsds on test bed(2000m 60 degree).
France lec-140

German was test their 140 then gave up and now made 130mm gun.
So who knows(
Although these armour giants stopped to reseach after USSR gone. I still think they are really beautiful and interested weapon(●°u°●) 」

NATO would have been having kittens if that had made it to production

Interesting, PACCAR had built some tanks in the 1940s and 50s but I thought thereafter stuck to its core truck portfolio. I wonder if this was an attempt to diversify?

Interesting, PACCAR had built some tanks in the 1940s and 50s but I thought thereafter stuck to its core truck portfolio. I wonder if this was an attempt to diversify?

They designed and built the first M107 howitzers as late as 1962, though the major production seems to have been down by FMC and then BMY.

Do we have any idea when this model was made? One of the secondary guns looks like an automatic grenade launcher, but more like the XM174 (c 1968) Mk 20 Mod 0 (c 1966) than the Mk 19. Could this date to that era?

Last edited:
HSTV-L configuration proposed by the Pacific Car and Foundry Company.
Pacific Car and Foundry vehicle carried the cannon in an external elevating trunnion system. This arrangement allowed the vehicle to fire from behind terrain features with only the cannon and sighting equipment exposed.
The tank commander and gunner rode in the turret basket inside the hull with an elevating periscope for the commander.
Secondary armament of the Pacific Car and Foundry proposal consisted of a 25mm Bushmaster cannon and a 7.62mm machine gun. The Bushmaster was mounted coaxially with the 75mm gun and the machine gun was installed on the commander's hatch.
The ready round magazine for the automatic loader was located below the gun tube and it carried 22 75mm rounds (11 APFSDS, 11 HE). An additional 33 rounds of 75mm ammunition were stowed in the left front hull alongside the driver. The proposed Pacific Car and Foundry HSTV-L was powered by a General Motors 8V71T diesel engine through an HMPT-500 transmission. The advanced torsion bar suspension was fitted with five road wheels per side.