Unknown USMC Long Mortar ww2

Sort of a poor man's PIAT, with the recoil-cocked firing mechanism. Actually putting that pad on someone's shoulder would be ruinous, though. A bit like a "knee mortar"

During WW2, the Canadian Army briefly experimented with adding a barrel extension to a stock British 81 mm mortar. Their goal was to improve arced mortar range. After firing a few rounds, the extension got permanently stuck on the original barrel. They abandoned development shortly after that.

Is there anything else that many of us haven’t seen yet in ww2? This one is almost unknown. I’m upset because i failed to find or encountered this despite my years of research :(

It could also be the Garrett Shoulder Mortar.

Here's the manual, OP 1257

@drejr, where'd you find that image?

Attachments

• Garrett 1.jpg
    Garrett 1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 60
It could also be the Garrett Shoulder Mortar.

Here's the manual, OP 1257

@drejr, where'd you find that image?

Same thing. T20 was the developmental designation, but it seems to have been standardized as the Garrett mortar, Mark 1, Mod 0.

Edit: Sorry, the unfurl for Google Books is singularly un-helpful. This link takes you to a page about this mortar which specifically states that the T20 was also called the Garrett mortar and talks about its early service history.

Also: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/ordnance-oddities-wwii-and-the-cold-war/

Improved One-Marine Mortar! Probably inspired by that rifle stock mortar, Master Gunnery Sergeant Garrett pushes this to the limit with his design for a bipod-mounted, trigger-operated, shoulder-fired 60mm mortar. Yes, Leathernecks are notoriously tough guys, but ouch! Noting the angle of the simple quadrant sight on its left side, that bipod will have to extend pretty far to lob the shell even a short distance. Photo taken at Aberdeen Proving Ground in September 1943.

Attachments

• Garrett mortar resized.jpg
    Garrett mortar resized.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: