Projects from Howard Aircraft Corporation

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Howard unknown 1940 cabin trainer project

The Howard Aircraft Corporation of Chicago does not seem to be covered anywhere on this forum, and it's a great injustice considering the beautiful racers and utility transport types they produced. That's probably because they are all either very well-known and documented or not considered as rare or "secret". The company's DGA-18 though, was a much less known low-wing radial-engined tandem-seat primary trainer that remained a prototype. It was briefly marketed for both the civilian and military markets as the DGA-125 (after its engine power) and more powerful DGA-160. The outbreak of the war killed all prospects for the civilian version; the success of the Fairchild M-62 Cornell and Ryan ST military trainers doomed the DGA-125 to oblivion.
I have just become aware of there being what seems like a development of the DGA-18, an enclosed cabin derivative with comparable dimensions but slighly increased wing area and retractable gear. Could it have been a competitor of the Fairchild PT-23? Or the Ryan PT-25? Whatever the purpose, it remained a paper project only.
The plan below was found on eBay and is entitled "Scale Comparison of Howard DGA-125 and RP(?) Primary and Secondary C.P.T.P. Trainers". It is dated October 30, 1940. I do not know what the complete designation of the "RP" was as the zoomed photo doesn't show it in full (it could be RPT). I believe "Secondary trainer" is just an alternate wording for "Advanced trainer". According to Wikipedia, the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP) was "a flight training program (1938–1944) sponsored by the United States government with the stated purpose of increasing the number of civilian pilots, though having a clear impact on military preparedness."
Anyone ever heard of that advanced trainer proposal by Howard before?

Attachments

• item17072.jpg
    item17072.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 823
  • item17072_b.jpg
    item17072_b.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 815
  • item17072_c.jpg
    item17072_c.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 794
  • item17072_d.jpg
    item17072_d.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 787
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Howard unknown 1940 cabin trainer project

Hi Stargazer,

of course I know Howard company,but I also heard about DGA-145,with
145 hp Warner Super Scarab engine,may it wasn't it,but the company
had many gaps in its series,and that aircraft may be one of them.

Re: Howard unknown 1940 cabin trainer project

Wonderful stuff, thanks for sharing, new to me but a very attactive design and the overlay of the two was clearly meant to show that the advanced trainer was so similar to the original primary trainer that it would be a low-risk proposition. Too bad it remained on paper. Cheers, Matthew

Interesting info from The Vintage Airplane (August 1974): Two freighter projects that never came to existence under Howard but were apparently copied and built by others... Any ideas? The only transport project by Howard that I know of is this undated "Howard-Nebesar" twin-boomer:

Attachments

• freighters.gif
    freighters.gif
    73.7 KB · Views: 622
  • Howard-Nesebar.gif
    Howard-Nesebar.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Howard-Nesebar (Tophe).GIF
    Howard-Nesebar (Tophe).GIF
    205.7 KB · Views: 119
Answering my own post because I actually found one of those Howard projects tonight, in an old Howard advertisement...

Attachments

• Cargo-Carrier.jpg
    Cargo-Carrier.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 159
Great find my dear Stargazer for the second project,

and for Howard-Nesebar aircraft,we displayed it here with some details in Les Ailes
Journal;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21372.msg210963.html#msg210963

Skyblazer said:
Answering my own post because I actually found one of those Howard projects tonight, in an old Howard advertisement...

My dear Skyblazer,

here is a more info and drawings to Howard project;

http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=X9wDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    760.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 2.png
    2.png
    358 KB · Views: 112
  • 1.png
    1.png
    481 KB · Views: 123
Here's the part of the article that talks about the Howard project:

Attachments

• Howard text.gif
    Howard text.gif
    285.8 KB · Views: 66
Skyblazer said:
...Obviously this is not one of them.

This being said, thanks a LOT for finding more on the Howard transport ...

Then it's better, I think, to add that thread to this one about Howard Aircraft.

hesham said:
Very strange,the two aircraft was for Howard ?.

No, no. That's not what Jemiba said. He said that since the Barr airliner was on the same image as the Howard type, it was best to leave them together.

Personally I would not have merged these, but anyway...

I'm not quite happy with this solution, too, but the alternative would be another theme
spread about several threads, giving even more room for misunderstandings, to my opinion.
Maybe a thread (in the patents section) with the links to the Barr patents (or even better,
with the full pictures) and appropriate cutouts or excerpts from the Popular Mechanics article
would do the trick ?

Meanwhile, here's a Howard project I had previously overlooked, a 1938 twin-tailed airliner very much in the vein of the Lockheed 12, Beech 18, Barkley-Grow T8P1 and such.

Please note that this has nothing to do with the postwar Lockheed Lodestar conversions by Howard Aero, an entirely different company.

Attachments

• Howard airliner model (Popular Aviation, April 1938).jpg
    Howard airliner model (Popular Aviation, April 1938).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 176
Skyblazer said:
Meanwhile, here's a Howard project I had previously overlooked, a 1938 twin-tailed airliner very much in the vein of the Lockheed 12, Beech 18, Barkley-Grow T8P1 and such.

Please note that this has nothing to do with the postwar Lockheed Lodestar conversions by Howard Aero, an entirely different company.

Great find Skyblazer,

and certainly it was from DGA Missing series.

A big surprise from; L+K 13/1969,

DGA-10 was a high wing twin engined light transport monoplane Project,could carry 5 to 9 passenger,as I discovered it and dear Stargazer.
DGA-14 was developed from DGA-11,but powered by one 330/350 hp Jacobs L-6 engine,maybe a Project only.
DGA-16 was a trainer version of DGA-15,Project.
DGA-17 was an ambulance version of DGA-15,Project.

Attachments

• 30.png
    30.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 31.png
    31.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 32.png
    32.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 33.png
    33.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 30
A few more images:

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hi Hesham!
Perhaps, we could split and merge this topics, to separate Howard from Babb, and in the same time - remain them interconnected.
The topic, that you mentioned above contains important drawings from the Babb's patents, allowing to understand the internal layout of poropsed cargo plane, including design of hinged upper part and other features.