Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
I remember reading somewhere the story about too much operators for the MQ-9 or MQ-1 and that they are stearing at the monitors, if in front of the aircraft parked in the hangar walk at least a ground technician. I used the search engine without any success. Does anybody remember it and can provide the link to this topic (if its here)?

DSCA notified Congress on June 27 of a possible sale of 16 General Atomics MQ-9 Reaper UAVs to France.

Source:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2013/06/dsca-notifies-congress-of-poss.html

It's little wonder that although the U.S. military display was the WORST ever at Le Bourget this year, the MQ-9 was there on the tarmac to be seen by everyone. Trying to warm up the French public to the type so that people can swallow more easily our government's upcoming UAV spending I guess... Ironically, we learned yesterday that most of the TGV railway extensions that were planned for the next decade were all cancelled but for one (Bordeaux-Toulouse) which enrages a lot of people because it will keep some potentially booming areas isolated... Any relation between the two events? I wonder.

Oh, and the Aerosonde Mk 4.7G was also there... But not many more U.S. military types to be seen, at least by the public (the P-38 Lightning and P-51 Mustang do not qualify in this context!).

Dsc_0092.jpg

Dsc_0091.jpg

I would have thought that Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Sikorsky, and Northrop Grumman would have payed for the aircraft appearances at the Paris Air Show. Why do the United States armed forces have to pay for aircraft appearances at air shows? Why don't the manufacturers pay for their products to be on static and flying display at these shows instead of using delivered aircraft? It's the manufacturers who are receiving orders, not branches of the armed forces.

When the Cold War was on, and when the first Gulf War was over, the U.S. was DYING to demonstrate its might. You would see F-15 Eagles and F-18 Hornets, the F-117 came once, a B-2 came once (albeit briefly and not on public days), there were always transports such as the C-5 Galaxy, the C-17 Globemaster III, helicopters in the AH-1 Cobra family... perhaps even an E-2 Hawkeye... I don't know if the U.S. DoD paid to have these displayed... but one sure thing is they no longer care to promote their image in Europe.

A few manufacturers continue to exhibit a few bits and pieces, but mostly in inaccessible parts of the tarmac, for professional access only, and mostly civilian stuff, not military.

The biggest insult to the public this year was the U.S. Pavilion. In Cold War days it was accessible on invitation only, then it was made public... But this year, for the first time in as long as I can remember, the U.S. Pavilion was CLOSED. Locked doors. Nobody in there. Nothing. This shows some remarkable contempt from a country that claims to be leading the way and setting an example. If the U.S. wants us Europeans (and especially the French, ever so reluctant to U.S. imperialism) to be supportive of their industrial and military effort, that is certainly not a way to treat the public.

From the story: "According to a DSCA release the French government requests a "possible sale" of 16 MQ-9s along with eight mobile ground control stations (GCS) and 48 Honeywell TPE331-10T turboprop engines. Of the 48 engines, 16 would be installed while the remaining 32 are spares. " :eek:

Two spare engines for each airframe? Isn't that a bit much?

Stargazer2006 said:
When the Cold War was on, and when the first Gulf War was over, the U.S. was DYING to demonstrate its might. You would see F-15 Eagles and F-18 Hornets, the F-117 came once, a B-2 came once (albeit briefly and not on public days), there were always transports such as the C-5 Galaxy, the C-17 Globemaster III, helicopters in the AH-1 Cobra family... perhaps even an E-2 Hawkeye... I don't know if the U.S. DoD paid to have these displayed... but one sure thing is they no longer care to promote their image in Europe.

A few manufacturers continue to exhibit a few bits and pieces, but mostly in inaccessible parts of the tarmac, for professional access only, and mostly civilian stuff, not military.

The biggest insult to the public this year was the U.S. Pavilion. In Cold War days it was accessible on invitation only, then it was made public... But this year, for the first time in as long as I can remember, the U.S. Pavilion was CLOSED. Locked doors. Nobody in there. Nothing. This shows some remarkable contempt from a country that claims to be leading the way and setting an example. If the U.S. wants us Europeans (and especially the French, ever so reluctant to U.S. imperialism) to be supportive of their industrial and military effort, that is certainly not a way to treat the public.

Get over yourself! This is the result of the sequestration cuts in the US. Not only has direct US DoD involvement been cut but also the granting of the necessary licence permissions for participating companies/organisations to display US technology is severely curtailed. This was reported as going to happen before the show. To paint this as some sort of US snub to Europe and France in particular is both incorrect and pathetic!

Surely this would not deter ALL American companies, would it?

And even if they put restriction on U.S. military technology being "exposed" (wake up guys, it's all over the webs!) why hinder the exposure of civilian companies that have nothing to do with this?

At the risk of offending you, GTX, I continue to consider it all an "insult" to European crowds attending the show. Who grants the license permissions? Who chooses to display military aircraft? The U.S. government. And so, if the contempt does not come from the industry, it comes from higher. "We are willing to sell you stuff, but that's about it."

Stargazer2006 said:
Who chooses to display military aircraft? The U.S. government. And so, if the contempt does not come from the industry, it comes from higher. "We are willing to sell you stuff, but that's about it."

The first two sentences are exactly correct, but it is not contempt. The US federal government HAS NO MONEY. Sequestration means automatic fixed per centage budget cuts for every government department. The US had to choose between buying gas for the helicopters and jets in Afghanistan and Iraq, or exhibiting at Paris. They can't afford both. It is that simple.

You are not alone, by the way. The US government is "insulting" most Americans at home as well by cancelling just about every military flying display in the US in the last few months.

Bill Walker said:
You are not alone, by the way. The US government is "insulting" most Americans at home as well by cancelling just about every military flying display in the US in the last few months.

I almost said "glad to hear that", but as a matter of fact I can't be glad about it, it's really sad that you guys can't enjoy the displays either. Just makes me feel less "blah" and isolated!

That was a most revealing post, thanks a lot for explaining.

Stargazer2006 said:
Surely this would not deter ALL American companies, would it?

Well there is also the fact that the European (and let's be frank, Paris is primarily a European market focussed show) market is viewed as being essentially 'dead' right now. Until the economic situation improves, companies are reluctant to throw too much money at it when there is limited scope for a return.

Stargazer2006 said:
And even if they put restriction on U.S. military technology being "exposed" (wake up guys, it's all over the webs!) why hinder the exposure of civilian companies that have nothing to do with this?

A lot of so called "civilian" product still has Defense technology involved and thus is ITAR restricted. This is where the exposure risk is. Whether its on the web or not is irrelevant when a US company is facing mega fines ("small" is $10M in the ITAR world) or jail time!

Stargazer2006 said:
Who grants the license permissions? Who chooses to display military aircraft? The U.S. government. And so, if the contempt does not come from the industry, it comes from higher. "We are willing to sell you stuff, but that's about it."

US State Dept for ITAR controlled - to process these though, the US DoD is involved. The processing of these is currently more restricted then usual due to the before mentioned Sequestration effects.

US Bureau of Industry and Security for EAR controlled. I suspect sequestration may also be affecting here.

Yet again, this is NOT a case of "contempt" it is simply a fact of there being limited funds. As Bill has said above, the US equivalent shows are also being impacted by this. To try to portray this as anything else is wrong.

WASHINGTON – An American MQ-9 Reaper drone was shot down Sunday in western Yemen, the Pentagon said, where a civil war between Saudi Arabia-backed government forces and Iran-backed Houthi rebels has raged for nearly three years.

The Pentagon has launched an investigation into the incident, Marine Maj. Adrian Rankine-Galloway, a Defense Department spokesman, said Monday. He declined to provide additional information, including who had shot down the aircraft or what mission the drone was supporting at the time.

The MQ-9 is an armed, multi-mission drone that is typically used by the Air Force to conduct airstrikes. It is also used for surveillance and reconnaissance operations.

https://www.stripes.com/news/american-drone-shot-down-in-yemen-1.490651#.WdP54LbTWaO

You can find more on this link including a video.

https://gizmodo.com/video-shows-us-drone-shot-down-by-houthi-rebels-in-yeme-1819057186

Interesting.
I wonder how high it was flying when it was shot down. I'm assuming the Iranians supplied the MANPADS, maybe even some early warning.
Not much left of the vehicle to reverse-engineer.
By the way, i wouldn't stand next to a burning and smoking hulk of composites, merrily breathing that stuff in. Mind you, those people probably have more serious health concerns than noxious inhalation...

AeroFranz said:
Interesting.
I wonder how high it was flying when it was shot down. I'm assuming the Iranians supplied the MANPADS, maybe even some early warning.
Not much left of the vehicle to reverse-engineer.
By the way, i wouldn't stand next to a burning and smoking hulk of composites, merrily breathing that stuff in. Mind you, those people probably have more serious health concerns than noxious inhalation...

Aren’t their quite a number of MANPADS these days that could shoot down such a drone, mind you they can’t be that strong a heat source compared to some.

I think there's quite a bit...maybe not an SA-7, but the later ones can climb quite a bit...i don't know how high it was flying.
The other part is acquisition of the target. An MQ-9 flying at 10,000' AGL should be all but invisible to the eye.

AeroFranz said:
I think there's quite a bit...maybe not an SA-7, but the later ones can climb quite a bit...i don't know how high it was flying.
The other part is acquisition of the target. An MQ-9 flying at 10,000' AGL should be all but invisible to the eye.

Do you think this then was more luck than judgement?

Hard to say. My feeling is a lot of things need to go right (or wrong, depending on which side you are) for the rebels to shoot down an MQ-9.
The vehicle must be within the kinetic range of the launcher at the right time and the right place, and it must be sighted optically. Maybe the air force underestimated the threat level in the area? Maybe there was a high-priority target that warranted flying lower? Maybe they got complacent?
Either way, I'm sure they're going to take mitigating actions to avoid other losses. To a certain degree, this is very much what unmanned airplanes are for. If they get shot down, then it makes a few headlines and nothing more.

More in general, i wonder if this is going to make the powers that be consider missile approach warning systems and self-defense for UAVs.

GA is the truly newsmaker in this days!

self-protection-pod-1070x590.jpg

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems has successfully completed flight testing of a newly developed Self-Protection Pod (SPP) on an MQ-9 Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA).

The project was executed as part of a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), and with the support of the Air National Guard (ANG), the U.S. Navy (USN), and industry partners Raytheon Intelligence & Space, BAE Systems, Leonardo, Leonardo DRS, and Terma North America. The demo was held Oct. 28, 2020 at the Yuma Proving Grounds (YPG).

During the testing, the MQ-9 was able to successfully track Radio Frequency (RF) and Infrared (IR) missile threats, deploy countermeasures, and provide real-time threat awareness and protection in a simulated contested environment.

The system is built upon an earlier joint demonstration of a podded AN/ALR-69A(V) Radar Warning Receiver (RWR) in 2017, which demonstrated the utility of an RWR to enhance aircrew situational awareness. In addition to the RI&S AN/ALR-69A(V), the pod features the Leonardo DRS AN/AAQ-45 Distributed Aperture Infrared Countermeasure (DAIRCM) System that utilizes a single sensor for both 2-color IR missile warning and wide field-of-view gimbal for threat countermeasures. The BAE Systems ALE-47 Countermeasures Dispenser System is used for dispensing airborne flares, chaff, and other airborne decoys. The RF countermeasure of choice demonstrated successfully during testing was Leonardo’s BriteCloud Expendable Active Decoy (EAD), which is a small, self-contained Digital Radio Frequency Memory (DRFM)-based expendable decoy.

At the heart of the Self-Protection Pod is the Terma AN/ALQ-213 Electronic Warfare Management System, which provides the interface, health, status, and command and control for the various systems installed in the pod.

GA-ASI-MQ-9-ASW-Pod-1080x600.jpg

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems recently completed development and test of the world’s first self-contained Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) capability for an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS).

On November 24, GA-ASI successfully demonstrated an ‘A’ size sonobuoy carriage, release, process and control from a company-owned MQ-9A Block 5 on a U.S. Navy Pacific test range. Using a SATCOM link, GA-ASI remotely processed bathythermal and acoustic data from deployed ‘A’ size Directional Frequency Analysis and Recording (DIFAR-AN/SSQ-53G), Directional Command Activated Sonobuoy System (DICASS-AN/SSQ-62F) and Bathythermograph (BT-AN/SSQ-36B) sonobuoys and accurately generated a target track in real time from the Laguna Flight Operations Facility located at Yuma Proving Grounds.

The MQ-9A Block 5 successfully deployed one BT, seven DIFAR, and two DICASS buoys to initiate prosecution and continuously track a MK-39 EMATT (Expendable Mobile ASW Training Target) over a three-hour period. Target track was generated using General Dynamics Mission Systems-Canada’s industry-leading UYS-505 Sonobuoy Processing Systems. GA-ASI is developing this first-of-its-kind capability for its new MQ-9B SeaGuardian UAS in partnership with the U.S. Navy under a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement with Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, Md.

“This demonstration is a first for airborne ASW. The successful completion of this testing paves the way for future development of more Anti-Submarine Warfare capabilities from our MQ-9s,” said GA-ASI President David R. Alexander. “We look forward to continuing collaboration with the U.S. Navy as they explore innovative options for distributed maritime operations in the undersea domain.”

GA-ASI first demonstrated a sonobuoy remote processing capability in 2017 from an MQ-9A. Since then, GA-ASI has added a Sonobuoy Management & Control System (SMCS) to monitor and control deployed sonobuoys, and developed a pneumatic sonobuoy dispenser system (SDS) capable of safely carrying and deploying 10 U.S. Navy compliant ‘A’ size or 20 ‘G’ size sonobuoys per pod. The MQ-9B SeaGuardian has four wing stations available to carry up to four (4) SDS pods, allowing it to carry and dispense up to 40 ‘A’ size or 80 ‘G’ size sonobuoys, and remotely perform ASW anywhere in the world.

index.php

General Atomics Aeronautical Systems completed the first Beyond Line of Sight (BLOS) High Frequency (HF) Command and Control (C2) demonstration for an Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS). The HF C2 capability does not require a Satellite Communications (SATCOM) link and is capable of providing BLOS connectivity up to 8,000 miles, depending on transmit power and link geometry.

For the demo, GA-ASI integrated the U.S. Government’s Collaborative Operations in Denied Environment (CODE) autonomy software into the Open Operational Flight Profile (OFP) of an MQ-9A Block 5 Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) and flew the MQ-9 using improved diagonal tails with conformal HF antennas incorporated into the leading edges.

GA-ASI’s MQ-9 housed a FlexRadio Systems’ FLEX-6600 HF software-defined radio and associated hardware to translate and execute an autonomous mission plan. GA-ASI created a specialized HF software adapter to manage the unique latency and throughput constraints of the HF waveform to demonstrate BLOS command and control of the RPA.

The demonstration was flown out of Laguna Army Air Field/Yuma Proving Grounds on Dec. 16, 2020. The MQ-9 was commanded from Austin, Texas approximately 1,000 miles away over an HF C2 link.

Last edited:
If the Reaper is now capable of doing all of these things (ISR, AAW, ASuW, ASW, EW), think about the drone that will replace it. He could do what the US Navy initially envisioned with the Uclass program.

does anyone ever address the crash rate of these products revealed in the wikileaks?

Wiki-leaks of course are leaks of classified data not a published website.

great, but did they? wikileaks remains unconfirmed as it is classified, therefore those crashes most likely are not included.. we can go on and on. What if it is large fraction of craft that have crashed nd tht is why it classified.
What if, when one Air Force officer said sometime ago we are in the Model A timeframe of UAS. Why is the AF already looking to retire GlobalHawks while seeking a U-2 replacement and upgrades. Could it be these contractors drastically under perform but have real power to keep train goin?
Tube and wings are jokes.

Probably with Jean Claude Vandamne at the controls... we are lucky this is a drone...

"Je suis fasciné par l'air. Si on enlevais l'air du ciel, les avions tomberaient par terre. Et les oiseaux, aussi !"

'Un biscuit n'a pas de spirit. Mais dans un biscuit, y a du lait. Et des oeufs. Et les oeufs, c'est de la vie potentielle !"

20210225-06_MQ-9A.jpg

A General Atomics Aeronautical Systems (GA-ASI) MQ-9A Block 5 remotely-piloted aircraft (RPA) equipped with a newly developed Centreline Avionics Bay (CAB) flew for the first time on 3 February, the company announced on 24 February. The CAB provides space to incorporate critical new capabilities for GA-ASI customers.

Integration of the CAB began as GA-ASI needed space for new avionics on the MQ-9A, including company-developed detect and avoid (DAA) systems. In addition to the DAA system, GA-ASI will use the new avionics bay to pioneer artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) applications and establish an Ethernet network with the outer wing stations, to enable government open mission systems (OMS) protocols for rapid, flexible, and affordable integration of new mission capabilities. These upgrades will further expand an already broad menu of roles for the MQ-9A.

“The [CAB] was purpose-built to provide additional volume, platform infrastructure, and cooling provisions for integrating high performance computing (HPC) systems on MQ-9 Block 1 and Block 5 RPA,” explained GA-ASI VP of Strategic Development, J R Reid. “The CAB will enable the MQ-9 to host government OMS-compliant autonomy, machine learning and, eventually, artificial intelligence algorithms and applications. In addition to the HPC, we can work with customers on a broad range of capabilities with the additional space we get with the CAB.”

One example of a customer application for the CAB is the US Air National Guard’s GHOST REAPER concept, which establishes the MQ-9A as a critical, multi-source correlation engine in a contested fight. The capabilities being developed and integrated onto MQ-9A will also become the catalyst for the Joint All-Domain Command and Control (JADC2) construct.

71 MQ-9 to be upgraded to M2DO improved standard:
The Reaper fleet’s mission “is now shifting” from providing intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance/strike against Counter-Violent Extremist Organizations (C-VEOs) to missions in contested airspace, AFLCMC said.

The suite of new capabilities is “closely held,” but the first upgrade will be a self-protection anti-jam antenna system, the Air Force said. Other improvements will include Link 16, new weapons, “increased electric power,” and upgrades to the aircraft’s electro-optical and infrared systems. The aircraft will also have a new open-architecture design to facilitate rapid upgrades and improve “mission resiliency.”

French Air Force MQ-9 Block 5 first operational mission In Mali:
The Reaper block 5 has improved video quality and connectivity, as well as a stronger weapon capacity since it will eventually be able to be equipped with both GBU 49 laser-guided bombs and hellfire missiles. Another development, the maintenance of this new model of drone is exclusively provided by French mechanics.

The 174th Attack Wing, based at Hancock Field Air National Guard Base in Syracuse (N.Y.) tested three new pods while deployed at Eielson AFB, part of an Air National Guard program known as the Ghost Reaper which aims to integrate the MQ-9 in the Joint All-Domain Command and Control system in a contested battlefield.

-Northrop Grumman’s Freedom Pod, which houses a communications gateway system that connects fourth and fifth generation fighters via Intra-Flight Data Link (IFDL), Multifunction Advanced Data Link (MADL), Link 16, and Tactical Targeting Network Technology.
-Ultra Electronics’ Rosetta Echo Advanced Payloads (REAP) pod, which improves targeting with improved connections to ground systems.
-General Atomics’ own Centerline Avionics Bay, which employs artificial intelligence and hardware expanding capabilities not originally built into the MQ-9 airframe.

Completing the Info regarding the status of the French Mq-9 Reaper:

Le pôle drones, incarné par les General Atomics Reaper de la 33e escadre de surveillance, de reconnaissance et d’attaque est désormais au complet, avec 4 systèmes soit 12 drones (dont un loué au dollar symbolique), six Block 1 et six Block 5. Le commandant de base annonce une capacité armement sur Block 5 « cet été », limitée pour l’instant à la GBU-12. Le modèle prévu par le ministère des Armées prévoyait 8 systèmes MALE à l’horizon 2030 : ce sera difficile en l’état, vu les retards accumulés sur le MALE européen, qui n’a toujours pas de contrat de série.
---------------------/////---------------

The drones component, embodied by the General Atomics Reaper of the 33rd Surveillance, Reconnaissance and Attack Wing is now complete, with 4 systems, i.e. 12 drones (including one rented for the symbolic sum of 1 dollar), six Block 1 and six Block 5.
The base commander announces a capacity to carry armament on Block 5 "this summer", limited for now to the GBU-12.
The plans from the Ministry of the Armed Forces were for 8 EU MALE systems by 2030. As it stands, it will be difficult given the delays accumulated on the European MALE, which still does not have a series contract.

Last edited:
Interesting that the new 'Armée de l'Air et de l'Espace' name still hasn't made any real traction.

Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III, testifying June 23 at a House Armed Services Committee hearing, said “what [the Air Force is] really doing is not decreasing the number of tails.” Rather, he explained, USAF is reducing the number of combat lines in maintains—lines that consist of several aircraft each—”so that [USAF] can have the ability to upgrade their capability and network their birds together in ways that we haven’t done before.”