McDonnell-Douglas Mach 3/4.5 Navy Fighter (not VFX)

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
At least looks very VFX-sky

Attachments

• 1974_00652L.jpg
    1974_00652L.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 969
flateric said:

Given the seriously badass nature of the engine, the study this was related to might not have been a fighter study, but an engine study. The exhaust setup looks a lot like a Marquardt supercharged ejector ramjet (SERJ); a number of notional ideas were tossed around for aircraft powered by these engines, this might be one.

Bird I must say looks very un-proportional...and that bloody engine nozzle as well...

Orionblamblam said:
flateric said:

Given the seriously badass nature of the engine, the study this was related to might not have been a fighter study, but an engine study. The exhaust setup looks a lot like a Marquardt supercharged ejector ramjet (SERJ); a number of notional ideas were tossed around for aircraft powered by these engines, this might be one.
With a variable ejector nozzle?

I have the similar picture labeled as McDonnell Douglas VFX proposal, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Attachments

• MDD_VFX.jpg
    MDD_VFX.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 633
That thing makes me think of a scaled-down, single seat, single (big) engine, F-111. Or an 'Americanized' MiG-23!

Matej said:
I have the similar picture labeled as McDonnell Douglas VFX proposal, but I am not 100% sure about that.

From a cursory look all the details seem to match, cockpit style, wing/inlet relationship, wing angle + trailing edge, tail surfaces...if it isn't the McDD VFX proposal it's a clone.

BTW - from the extreme sweep - it should be a VG wing - but I can't see the wing gloves or pivot point...artistic licence?

Starviking

starviking said:
BTW - from the extreme sweep - it should be a VG wing - but I can't see the wing gloves or pivot point...artistic licence?

Probably yes, but at least I can see a low visible beginning of the wing. I highlighted it with red colour.

Attachments

• MDD_VFX2.jpg
    MDD_VFX2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 508
For me they are the same aircrafts. So, thanks God, another good artist's rendering of MacAir VFX found.

To clear the thing - I am absolutely sure that on both pictures is the same plane, but I am not so sure, if it is really MDD and if it is really VFX proposal.

Sorry for being so late... but the art depicts a single seat airplane, so not VFX. As for the similarity with the TFX, my gut feeling is that this is the McAir submission to the VAX competiton: both Boeing and GD are known to have submitted scaled down, single seat, single engine version of thei TFX submission.

In "US Jet fighters since 1945" by Robert F.Dorr
Blandford Press -London- 1988

the black and white illustration is captioned as the
McDonnell entry in the US Navy VFX competition...

Skybolt said:
Yep, Paul, but looking at the 3-view, either the painter had sight problems or the author is wrong .. ::)

3-view? What 3-view?

There's a 3 view of McDonnell-Douglas' VFX submission - its the one with the canards and VG wings.

I think this is a different project entirely.

overscan said:
There's a 3 view of McDonnell-Douglas' VFX submission - its the one with the canards and VG wings.

I think this is a different project entirely.

I would agree.

I don't even think that the drawings in question depict a TF-30 or F401 powered project, but something built around an even larger diameter turbofan of some sort?

Of course, the proportions might just be off.

If you scale down a TFX by 50 % (actually less, I'd say 30 per cent) probably everything will look larger .. ;D

And I think that 1974 is the date of publication/release... the VAX was from 1963.

I think artist wasnt' an idiot - just look at the glowing nozzle of the thing. Turboramjet?

To clear the thing - I am absolutely sure that on both pictures is the same plane, but I am not so sure, if it is really MDD and if it is really VFX proposal.

It is certainly a McDonnell Douglas proposal (for something) :
Mach 4.5 Advanced Fighter Aircraft Concepts.jpg
from statement by McDonnell Douglas Corporation before the Subcommittee on Transportation, Aviation, and Materials of the Committee on Science and Technology, U.S. House of Representatives July 1985

There is a nice copy of the picture from GRC available from NARA

Advanced Fighter Aircraft Concept_1280.jpg
Advanced Fighter Aircraft Concept_Nose_Detail.jpg
Advanced Fighter Aircraft Concept_Tail_Detail.jpg
Advanced Fighter Aircraft Concept_Topside_Detail.jpg

Back
Top Bottom