Unbuilt variants of the Cessna T-37/A-37

Sentinel Chicken

American 71 Heavy, contact departure 126.47
Reaction score
Website
lajeteepress.com
Cessna 405

Description: Four seat light transport similiar in appearance/concept to the Morane Saulnier MS 760. Large clamshelll canopy over the two by two seating in the nose section.

Attachments

• avtweet_5.jpg
    avtweet_5.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,079
cessna407e.jpg

Cessna 407

Description: Four place civilian light jet derived from the Cessna 405 design. Some references seem to interchange the 405 and 407 designations. More information on the Cessna 407 here: http://www.machdiamonds.com/cessna407.html

Cessna Tandem Navy Trainer (TNT)

Description: Designed to meet the TNT requirement for the US Navy (for which eventually the North American T-2 Buckeye got selected), Cessna proposed a tandem two seat variant based on the T-37.

Sentinel Chicken said:
cessna407e.jpg

Cessna 407

Description: Four place civilian light jet derived from the Cessna 405 design. Some references seem to interchange the 405 and 407 designations. More information on the Cessna 407 here: http://www.machdiamonds.com/cessna407.html

And the six-seat derivative, the Model 407A.

Cessna AT-37E/STOL and other strike variants

Description: Based upon the TNT variant of the T-37, Cessna proposed several different models as enhanced strike variants. One version incorporated wingtip lift pods. The AT-37E/STOL incorporated the tandem cockpit, larger engines, bigger flaps, and thrust reversers. The A-37D design was even more strike optimized with a single seat cockpit based on the TNT design, more powerful engines, and a centerline gun pod similar to what the RAF Hawks used.

Attachments

• avtweet_6.png
    avtweet_6.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 837
A-37/T-37 Dragonfly in Action
Aircraft Number 114
Squadron/Signal Publications
By Terry Love

Page 45 to 49: Proposed T-37/A-37 Variants

Cessna 405. 4 seater liaison jet

Cessna 407. Setember 1959. 6 seater liaison jet (The USAF selected the NA T-39 instead)

Tandem Navy Trainer (The NA Buckeye won the contract)

T-tail T-37 derivative to Next Generation Trainer (The T-46 won the contract)

VTOL trainer based on TNT fuselage (USN and USAF versions)

AT-37E/STOL strike/recon using the TNT fuselage

AT-37E/STOL strike/recon using the T-37 fuselage

Naval Instructional Trainer derivative from A-37

A-37D single seater based on TNT fuselage

T-37 USAF Thunderbird

AX (experience with A-37 was included but final design has nothing in common)

T-48 ( a replacement to T-37 after the T-46 cancellation) was a T-37B updated

Regards,
Antonio

AT-37E - is that the variant with JT15D engines?

Tilt-rotor conversion

Attachments

• US- Bell T-37 tilt-rotor-fighter.jpg
    US- Bell T-37 tilt-rotor-fighter.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 903
"AT-37E. Modifications to the TNT included: higher thrust engines, wing tip extensions, increased chord flaps and larger thrust reversers"

No description about type engine on Squadron/Signal

JAZZ,

this variant is awesome!, why the pic is identified as Bell?. It was a Bell-Cessna project?
Can you add more info?

Thanks,

Antonio

AT-37E pics

Attachments

• AT-37E.jpg
    AT-37E.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 478
  • AT-37E Tandem.jpg
    AT-37E Tandem.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 550
Pometabla

Some of my collection of photos are poorly referenced, and I know little of this project, other than Bell was behind the conversion.

Photo does have a web site - bottom right hand corner - www.VSTOL.org which is I suggest you google as a start.

cheers JAZZ

JAZZ said:
Tilt-rotor conversion

pometablava said:
this variant is awesome!, why the pic is identified as Bell?. It was a Bell-Cessna project?

D-182C twin duct testbed; trailrotor T-37 COIN conversion project (1956)

Bell apparently fancied the Cessna T-37 as a basis for their projected VTOL projects... as evidenced in the unbuilt X-14C...

Attachments

• v1n3ad13.jpg
    v1n3ad13.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 331
  • x-14c_art.jpg
    x-14c_art.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 349
I've found some more info on the T-48.
It was to be a T-37B with structural strengthening, new tail, pressurised cockpit and to be powered with two 1,330lb Garrett F109-GA-100 turbofans. It was shelved in favour of the T-37 SLEP with new canopy, tailplane skins, dorsal fin mounts and new front wing spar carry-through structure and upgraded spars.

Hey nice find with that artist work of the Bell X-14C load-out weapons option Stéphane

Very interesting and adds to the perspective of the artist impression you also posted!!

Regards
Pioneer

A few more pictures from squadron/signal publications Aircraft Number 114 “A-37/T-37 Dragonfly in action” by Terry Love. Certainly not ALL the pictures of T-37 spin offs in this great little monogram.

Attachments

• A-37D.png
    A-37D.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 900
  • cessnaVTOL.png
    cessnaVTOL.png
    199.8 KB · Views: 887
  • cessnaNGT.png
    cessnaNGT.png
    81.3 KB · Views: 962
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the Cessna 407 light executive/liaison jet "project" and its mock-up......

The article comes from the 10th October 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Hy all,
I found in a box three pics (unfortunately without any date or note written on the back) that I vaguely remember as depicting some Cessna projects dating back to around 1970.
One is surely a Cessna Model 318/T-37 modified from side by side to tandem seating to answer a Navy requirement (perhaps a contender of the Beech T-34C Turbo-Mentor? The timeframe could be the same...).
The second, and weirdest of all, is a V/STOL derivative of the previous airframe, but with USAF markings: perhaps Cessna was answering a requirement for a V/STOL trainer?
The last is a light attack aircraft on the same line of the AT-37D/A-37B Dragonfly but with some redesign, an underfuselage gunpod (perhaps for a 20-mm M61 Vulcan) and more robust warload: could it be a proposal for some iteration of the AX contest?
Nico

Attachments

• T-37 derivative_1.jpg
    T-37 derivative_1.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 918
  • T-37 derivative_2.jpg
    T-37 derivative_2.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 424
  • T-37:A-37 derivative_1.jpg
    T-37:A-37 derivative_1.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 389
I have the cutaway drawing this project in free interpretaton...! for interesting

From Cessna Warbirds.

Attachments

• 1-1.png
    1-1.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 2-1.png
    2-1.png
    184.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 3-1.png
    3-1.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 87
I hope this is the right thread.

I have found a photo of South Vietnamese A-37B apparently carry two Ryan Firebee recce drones over the wingtips. Date is supposed to be 1968. Can anybody give more information about it and its operations?

AFAIK during that period drones were carried by much larger aircraft like the DC-130.

Attachments

• VNAF A-37 drones.jpg
    VNAF A-37 drones.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 64
I hope this is the right thread.

I have found a photo of South Vietnamese A-37B apparently carry two Ryan Firebee recce drones over the wingtips. Date is supposed to be 1968. Can anybody give more information about it and its operations?

AFAIK during that period drones were carried by much larger aircraft like the DC-130.
It's a Photoshop of a picture of a US A-37 without any drones.