Uknown Soviet mobile SAM system?

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day gent's

Just stumbled across this picture on my hard-drive!
All I have written with it is "Unknown Soviet mobile SAM system - 'Ellipse'.
Can anyone identify this design? It looks like a trial/prototype. Although the four missiles look as if they are drawn in???
I would appreciate peoples input!!

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Uknown Soviet (PVO-SV) SAM system titled 'Ellipse'.jpg
    Uknown Soviet (PVO-SV) SAM system titled 'Ellipse'.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 252
Looks like an early iteration of the Osa (SA-8 GECKO) without containerized missiles?

SOC said:
Looks like an early iteration of the Osa (SA-8 GECKO) without containerized missiles?

Yeah thank's SOC now that you say it!
Hopefully we'll find out more.
Thanks for your time and effort ;)

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:
Pioneer said:
Yeah thank's SOC know that you say it!
Hopefully we'll find out more.
Thanks for your time and effort ;)

Regards
Pioneer

Apparently the entire Osa system underwent a lot of development problems, with design teams being fired (Fakel wasn't the original 9M33 maker, for example) and components being rethought. Haven't found anything on this thing specifically, but I'm seeing mention of an "Object 1040" launcher based on an "Object 1015" APC. Apparently "Object 1040" had to be rethought due to various technical issues, and the fact that the "in-line" layout of the launcher and radar meant that a blind spot was generated. The object in the image would definitely have that issue!

Aha! Apparently Ellipsoid was the original system name, replaced by Osa at some point during early development. I'd say that this is therefore most likely an early Osa TELAR configuration, which like many other components failed to meet requirements and was replaced.

Upper left and upper right may well be the same or a similar TELAR.

Attachments

• Fakel_Osa.JPG
    Fakel_Osa.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 166
Apparently the entire Osa system underwent a lot of development problems, with design teams being fired (Fakel wasn't the original 9M33 maker, for example) and components being rethought. Haven't found anything on this thing specifically, but I'm seeing mention of an "Object 1040" launcher based on an "Object 1015" APC. Apparently "Object 1040" had to be rethought due to various technical issues, and the fact that the "in-line" layout of the launcher and radar meant that a blind spot was generated. The object in the image would definitely have that issue!
I think you're on the money SOC regarding Object 1040, as denoted in some detail here:

https://en.topwar.ru/140678-specialnoe-kolesnoe-shassi-obekt-1040.html

Regards
Pioneer