Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
As part of the speech, Mr Johnson will announce:

A new agency dedicated to artificial intelligence

The creation of a national cyber force to protect people from online harm

A new "space command", which will be capable of launching a first rocket in 2022

My bolding.

There more detail in this article.

The RAF said that Space Command will be a joint organisation staffed by personnel drawn from all three UK armed services, MoD civilians, and members of the commercial sector at the RAF Air Command site at High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire. The service explained that Space Command would bring together three functions: space operations, space workforce generation, and space capability under a single two-star military commander. A senior RAF source told Janes on 2 February that new organisation would likely be up and running by early summer.

From last year, a little bit more background (note that the headline was slightly misleading):

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

Grey Havoc

Reaction score
I'd suspect that the Russians and Chinese are way ahead in the lead in that regard.

FighterJock

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Could we see a return of Anti-Satellite missiles as part of the expansion into space? Or even space based lasers (SDI 2).
Well, technically US already have them - GBI and SM-3 are perfectly capable of serving as anti-satellite missiles, at least for low orbit.

I had forgotten about the GBI and SM-3 missiles Dilandu, thanks.

TMA1

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Smart. Ruskies have a meagre budget for space but as far as military spending for space programs go that is a bit different. They are no joke. Their little satellite trick fairly recently is an example. Supposedly they have satellites with clusters of a kind of shaped charge on them. They have other toys too. We need to counter them and the Chinese. It may not be fun to realize but space is militarized already. Militaries of the world already think four dimensionally already. Th big powers already have rockets to take out low earth orbit objects. This is all inevitable.

Dilandu

I'm dissatisfied, which means, I exist.
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
Smart. Ruskies have a meagre budget for space but as far as military spending for space programs go that is a bit different. They are no joke. Their little satellite trick fairly recently is an example. Supposedly they have satellites with clusters of a kind of shaped charge on them. They have other toys too. We need to counter them and the Chinese. It may not be fun to realize but space is militarized already. Militaries of the world already think four dimensionally already. Th big powers already have rockets to take out low earth orbit objects. This is all inevitable.

Well, we have the "Nudol" mobile anti-missile missile, which could also be used to intercept low-orbit satellites. Of course, the data is classified, but there are speculations that it could intercept up to 500-750 km high and 1000 km in range.

Also there are air-launched anti-satellite missile 14K168 "Burevestnik" (there are confusion with similarly-named nuclear-powered cruise missile, apparently caused because those projects are from different branches) for Mig-31 interceptor apparently in development. It is supposed to intercept satellites up to 500 km high. Sometimes it's good to be old-fashioned and have fast dedicated interceptor in service)

P.S. In late 1980-early 1990s, there was a IS-MD "Naryad" space-to-space interceptor in development; it was supposed to be an automated spacecraft with enough delta-V to reach and destroy objects anywhere in Earth-Luna system (i.e. including geostationary orbits). The development wasn't finished due to lack of funds.

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
as Johnson mutter about Space Command
two thing cross my mind:

One - How long will this Space Command exist ?
Britain is notorious infamous for abandoning there Space ambitions several times since 1950s
and with economic problems that come with Brexit, i think there swing again the budget axe and British Space program is first victim...

Two - This:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slYW7kkHyI4

Grey Havoc

Reaction score
In other news, the UK seems to be taking space more seriously, with a dedicated Space Command in order to protect its assets and interests in space: