• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Flyaway

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
As the U-2 remains one of my favourite military aircraft I thought I would start a dedicated thread for it. As well as it being one of the more venerable models of aircraft still flying.

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I'll throw in a cheeky link to the thread on the Beriev S-13.
(Flees like a thief in the night)

FighterJock

Reaction score
Only a few years ago there was talk of retiring the U-2 and replacing it with the Global Hawk, now with the future upgrades it looks as if the U-2 could be like the B-52 and go on until the 2030s-2040s

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
FlightGlobal (Flight International) story on the upgrade:

FighterJock

Reaction score
I hope people don’t mind me posting this as I watched it the other day, and thought it was quite interesting about the U-2.

I watched it when it was first aired on Forces Tv, and it contained a lot of information that I never new about the U-2 before.

Flyaway

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but I was surprised to see the paint peeling off some of the U-2s in it. Doesn’t the paint perform some kind of small ‘stealth’ function?

FighterJock

Reaction score
Maybe it’s just me but I was surprised to see the paint peeling off some of the U-2s in it. Doesn’t the paint perform some kind of small ‘stealth’ function?
I had known about the previous attempts to add stealth technology to the U-2 shortly after the Garry Powers shoot down by adding metal string covered in Radar Absorbent Material, but it failed, could this be a modern attempt?

Archibald

Reaction score
With all the RB-57D and U-2 shot down over China, Cuba (plus of course the Gary Power aircraft) - I was wondering if the Soviets examined their cameras and sensors ? Did they got any tech advances out of them ?

Reactions: gTg

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
The film from Power's aircraft was used in the Soviet space program, IIRC.

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score

edwest

Reaction score
This upgrading of the U-2 makes financial and time sense. The Powers U-2 apparently crashed like a glider. I recall a photo published by the Russians that showed it on the ground with structural breaks at the usual/expected places.

edwest

Reaction score
The usual "naked provocation." I'm sure Cuba had similar thoughts during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Meanwhile, the US has to make sure that our current new Cold War enemy number one gets a good look from to time.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
China complains on the U-2 overflight to not look embarrassed by USN carrier tempering their macho attitude toward Taiwan (3 differents military exercice on the same time) trawling around.
European nations that have lost WWII that day in Munich should be there also. Forefront.