Twin wing tip launchers

Cjc

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
So I thought this would be a fun little dive (and surching on Google and this site wasn't getting me anything), so I have seen some projects had 2 misslies on each tip insted of one (or zero) on most planes, and I figured there uncomen enough that we could collect them all here.

Well I know they have been studied on some projects, on in particular I think was one ithere in one of the lwf copitition or on of the Convair 200+ studys, but I'm sure the Soviets had also some designs like that.

Also thank you to the mod who moved this i had no idea were this thread sould go.

I know Northrop looked at dual wingtip launch rails for the F-5E, but I don't know if it went much beyond a paper study (once upon a time I did see the drawing of that configuration, but that was nigh unto 40 years ago).

I have a photo of the Model 18 VFAX proposal which has twin Sidewinder launchers on the wingtips.

The USSR didn't really ever master wingtip launchers, let alone twin ones.

Mikoyan get majorly burned on the Ye-152 /155 wingtip launchers and seemed to abandon the concept completely.

The Su-27 was the first I can thank of, but even that isn't really a wingtip launcher, more like a small standard pylon hanging down from the tip.

I knew I had seen a twin missile wingtip launcher below but couldn't find the image. Thanks Paul.

Thread with some more versions of this configuration below. Some had Sparrows either under the wing or on the landing gear doors as well. But interestingly, some go with something more like the F-35C or Su-27, a "wingtip" launcher that is basically an underwing rail pushed out to very near the end of the wing. So, the question of putting rails on the actual wingtips was obviously fraught.

The Messerschmitt P.1211 was designed for a horizontally staggered pair of Falcons on each wing tip.

Attachments

• Messerscmitt_P.1211.jpg
    Messerscmitt_P.1211.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 53
They weren't rail launched but the F-89H had multiple Falcons in pods on the wing tips. The 7 Oct 1957 F-89H SAC has a good line drawing of the bays on the tip pods. Other versions had FFAR's.

Nice addition @mkellytx :

Northrop_F-89H_with_AIM-4_Falcon_missiles.jpg

d0f3549495ded06364b599855a6daf39e05b8c1.jpg

Last edited: