Turkish UAV Developments & Fielding

Last edited:
The Turkish company Baykar Defence will build in Ukraine a plant for production and modernization of Bayraktar TB2 drones and also a center for their testing, maintenance and personnel training, said the CEO of Baykar Defence, Haluk Bayraktar.

He noted that the first successful test of cooperation was the production of the Akinci drone with an engine built by Ivchenko-Progress. After that, Turkish companies began to willingly conclude contracts with Ukrainian companies. Now, the cooperation between the two countries is expanding on a global scale.

According to Bayraktar, Turkey has already decided on the location where it plans to build its centers. The land lots have been already been purchased by Baykar.

So the Akcini UAV will have 2 engine options ? Which engine will Turkey use ? I assume they will stick to the Motor Sich engine to make their fleet sanction proof. Wonder if Ukraine might emerge as a potential customer for this UAV.

So there are three engine options, depending on the use case for selective UCAV. MOTOR SICH AI-450T is a good in-between engine for performance and endurance, so likely will be the base model for Turkey's UCAV fleet.

Engines;
- Pratt & Whitney PT6A-135A @ 750 shp | Low Endurance, Max Load Capacity and High Operational altitude (Gas Turbine)
- MOTOR SICH AI-450T @ 450shp | Medium Endurance, Medium Load Capacity and High Operational altitude (Gas Turbine)
- TEI TD-220 @ 225hp | Maximum Endurance, Minimal Load Capacity and medium Operational altitude (Turbo Diesel)

As of yet, endurance and max load capacities for engine types have not been released and likely will not be. However, in a recent endurance test, the manufacturer posted on Twitter that it flew a distance of 6000km in a single sortie. Taking into account cruising speed, it would work out to be around 24 hours with MOTOR SICH AI-450T engine.

The engine choice for Akinci UCAV has expanded further more - Bayraktar signed a deal with Ukrainian Motor Sich for their MS500V-S Turboprop Engine to integrate into Akinci - which would give the platform 2x 1000 shp of power.

1637484061793.png

To summarise, Akinci UCAV has 4 engine choices; From high to low output

- MOTOR SICH MS500V-S @ 1000 shp - Turboprop Gas Turbine
- Pratt & Whitney PT6A-135A @ 750 shp - Turboprop Gas Turbine
- MOTOR SICH AI-450T @ 450 shp - Turboprop Gas Turbine
- TEI TD-220 @ 225 hp - Turbo Diesel Aviation Engine

Kazakhstan buys 3 Turkish Aerospace-made Anka UCAV

The report also claims that negotiations are currently ongoing with two other potential purchasers of the Anka UCAV.

Map of Operators and countries that have shown interest or in negotiation to purchase;
-TAI ANKA
-Baykartech TB2
-Vestel Karayel
Turkish_UAV_Exports.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Iraq has opted to spend $100 million to purchase Turkish Bayraktar TB2 UAVs rather than Russia's MiG-29 fighter aircraft.

5 countries have selected Turkey's homegrown E/O Aselsan CATS, not yet known who those countries are - will update when information is available.

“The integration of ASELSAN cameras was made in about a month and these cameras were both delivered to our country and exported to 5 countries. Sometimes “There are good results in favor of our country in things that we see as bad. I hope we will present the best technologies in the world by constantly advancing, further developing and maturing these systems. Such products will become exportable not only with the UCAVs, but also on their own.”
baykar-ve-aselsan-aa-1695932.jpg

amazing how quick the chinese uav export blown away, iraqi Air Force was mass used CH-4 versus IS, then they becomes to non-flight condition and no new supply

Last edited:
Defence Industries Research and Development Institute (SAGE) and DASAL ( Joint venture between Altinay and ASELSAN) presented their UAV + ammunition solution. DASAL's UAV will carry SAGE's Togan ammunition to the target zone. It can carry eight Togan munitions at once.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuSt8TRTJDo

Pretty cool bombing run;
SAGE_and_DASAL_new_product.gif

FF_dJ2QXwAMUoa9

Last edited:

First flight is expected end of next year; equipped with two Ukrainian turboprop engines Avionics by Turkish Aerospace Industries.
1639482304174.png
1639482151553.png

Last edited:
Yeah. Remember the Azerbaijan/Armenian conflict was a proxy war with very complicated rules of engagement set by the major powers behind it. America would only allow Turkey to use it's fighters for specific purposes. Same with Russia and Armenia. Armenians wanted to use iskander missles but we're largely stopped from using them though a couple videos came out showing the evidence of it's use. Azerbaijan was held back too. There is much disinfo of this conflict. If you read RAND corporation white papers you will see this was pretty obviously movres to push Russia out of the south Caucasus region. Russia was meddling too.

Be careful of the propaganda on all sides.

Russia managed to secure a downed TB2 to analyse, the bane of Russia. :)
View attachment 670038

What is there to analyze? Competent, straightforward drone, nothing particularity special.

Bane of Russia more in the mind of internet fanboys, than in reality.

What is there to analyse? A lot I suppose, why else would the Russians have transferred a TB2 carcass (from either Libya, Syria, Armenia) to Russia.

Definitely is the bane of Russia, almost every promotional video (Lancet being most prominent) Russia puts out has TB2 in crosshairs - let alone what international defence analysts point out. Wagner group are none too pleased when there's TB2s about. ;-)

Last edited:
What is there to analyse? A lot I suppose, why else would the Russians have transferred a TB2 carcass (from either Libya, Syria, Armenia) to Russia.
I bet for propaganda reasons. The same reason Turkish sources tend to post all forms of combat footage and strap "destroyed by TB2" sticker on it, really.

Definitely is the bane of Russia, almost every promotional video (Lancet being most prominent) Russia puts out has TB2 in crosshairs - let alone what international defence analysts point out. Wagner group are none too pleased when there's TB2s about. ;-)
It seemed awfully inefficient at being "bane of Russia", when it actually got the chance. I recall reading about TAF asking Khmeimim command to let medevac helicopters onto the site for six hours after "Syrian" aircraft bombed their forces near Balyun. It appears that TB2 wunderwaffe was not able to prevent the strikes, nor mitigate its consequences for some reason. Later airstrikes on Turkish observation posts tell similar story.

I bet for propaganda reasons. The same reason Turkish sources tend to post all forms of combat footage and strap "destroyed by TB2" sticker on it, really.

It seemed awfully inefficient at being "bane of Russia", when it actually got the chance. I recall reading about TAF asking Khmeimim command to let medevac helicopters onto the site for six hours after "Syrian" aircraft bombed their forces near Balyun. It appears that TB2 wunderwaffe was not able to prevent the strikes, nor mitigate its consequences for some reason. Later airstrikes on Turkish observation posts tell similar story.

Inefficient? There's a long list of Russian Air Defence systems being knocked out by a cheap drone like TB2, I do believe it definitely caused a jolted nerve.

Surface-to-air missile systems (37)​

Radars systems (7)​

• 23px-Flag_of_Armenia.svg.png
    2 P-18 ''Spoon Rest D'': (1) (2)
    1 1S32 ''Pat Hand'' (for 2K11 Krug SAM): (1)
    1 1S91 SURN (for 2K12 Kub SAM): (1)
    1 ST86U/36D6 ''Tin Shield'' (for S-300 SAM): (1)
    1 19J6 (for S-300 SAM): (1)
  • 23px-Flag_of_Syria.svg.png
    1 SNR-125 ''Low Blow'' (for S-125 SAM): (1)

Jammers and Deception systems (1)​

1 R-330P Piramida-I: (1)

Aircraft (7)​

I wouldn't call it innefficient, it is a an effective cheap drone like many others that just got lucky with a very permissive engagement climate vs mostly ancient and outmatched foes.

That list is 90% ancient Soviet AD. The only actually active modern AD the drone destroyed was a few Pantsir firing units (not even batteries mind you). Used by irregular militaries or the Syrians, which have a poor record against anything modern, Bayraktar or not Bayraktar.

I mean counting a Tor-M2 that the Armenians parked in a shed before it was bombed by an Israeli munition as a success of Bayraktar? What reco drone wouldn't do the same? That whole conflict was one ridiculously outmatched/outspent side being pounded after half their AD was destroyed by surprise attack or swarmed by modified drone An-2s.

I don't see any actual evidence of "jolting" within Russia, just projection on the part of analysts (or outright propaganda articles like that absolutely ridiculous Oryx article. From that article you would think a full modern force of Tor/Pantsir/S-400 backed up by full EW equipment was crushed by a couple drones lol).

Last edited:
From that article you would think a full modern force of Tor/Pantsir/S-400 backed up by full EW equipment was crushed by a couple drones lol).

Experience of TB2 in Libya when the air defences actually shoot back appears to give rather different results...