Turkish UAV Developments & Fielding

During the Karabakh war, a Bayraktar TB2 was targeted with two missiles by the Russian-made Osa (SA-8 Gecko) air defence system.

Due to the countermeasures used by Bayraktar TB2, which included intense electronic warfare, both missiles from Osa failed to hit TB2.

Last edited:
Turkish UAVs caused discussions about German Army’s technological capabilities. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Karl, expert at German Institute for Defense & Strategic Studies (GIDS): To be clear, if Germany had to fight Azerbaijan in this conflict, it would not have much of a chance.

Oberstleutnant_Michael_Karl-scaled.jpg
Article in German;

Turkish UAVs caused discussions about German Army’s technological capabilities. Lieutenant Colonel Michael Karl, expert at German Institute for Defense & Strategic Studies (GIDS): To be clear, if Germany had to fight Azerbaijan in this conflict, it would not have much of a chance.

View attachment 659095
Article in German;

But in fact what do the German armed forces limitations - maybe even in-capabilities - have to do with with Turkish UAV development and the report I posted above?

View attachment 659095
Article in German;

But in fact what do the German armed forces limitations - maybe even in-capabilities - have to do with with Turkish UAV development and the report I posted above?

- This is a thread I created to document development of Turkish UAVs and Fielding of those UAVs in real world scenarios. I believe we are at a turning point in how wars are fought hence documentation, reports and analysis that I post here which support such cases.

-What I posted has nothing to do with the commentary you posted, why you are objected to feel that way is only something you yourself can answer..

AKSUNGUR UCAV, 4 to be delivered to Turkish Armed Forces by end of the year. Within 2 years, 14 AKSUNGUR UCAVs are to be in service with various configurations. One of the configurations, will be for Turkish Navy in Naval Patrol Aircraft Variant.
1623850975351.png

ANKA-S destined for Tunisia are currently undergoing Factory Acceptance tests, first lot will be delivered beginning of next month in July.

TAI Ömer Yıldız, Assistant General Manager of UAV Systems:

- We will produce 6 AKSUNGURs by the end of the year, 2 of which are prototypes and 4 are serial production variants . We plan to deliver these 4 to the Turkish Armed Forces by the end of the year.

- "We have not started marketing AKSUNGUR abroad at the moment, we are going through ANKA."
(In addition, 8 AKSUNGURs will be produced in 2022. Thus, the number of AKSUNGURs produced in 2 years will be 14.)

- We provide fire prevention and notification service to Forest Department . (Note: Forest Department did not buy UAVs.)
Until the end of the year, we will integrate base stations into AKSUNGUR.
Thus, in disaster situations (emergency situations, fire prevention, etc.), the teams on the ground will communicate with each other via the base station on our aircraft.

- "We are also preparing AKSUNGUR for maritime patrol missions. Currently, we are giving our aircraft acoustic listening capability for anti-submarine warfare.
We'll be listening to Sonobuoys in a month, and we'll be releasing them by the end of the year."

- "The ANKAs we will deliver to Tunisia in the first week of July will perform the factory acceptance tests here, pack our planes and send them to Tunisia."

- "We are working on the jet-powered UAV line. But what I can explain to you is that we will have 1 jet-powered target aircraft that will fly at supersonic speed by the end of this year. We will announce when we finish the others."
(The name of the target plane is Göksungur.)

Last edited:
| Serial Production of ULAQ Unmanned Surface Vehicle has commenced |

The words of Ismail DEMIR about ULAQ:
"We are starting the serial production of ULAQ. Just as we have seen our UAVs in the field of operation more than once, you will see many models of USVs (Unmanned Sea Vehicles). These are coming slowly, there is very important work on the subfloor right now. We are starting mass production of ULAQ SİDA, others are coming"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOy_p3v8rc

So i did my estimate on TB-2's Radar Cross Section. got to say it's a clever design. By focusing the largest spike upward. It shows RCS optimization against ground based radars at least up to S-band. Which pretty much those one may encounter in tactical situations (most if not all ground based Mobile air defense's radar are in S-band).

The spike however begin to broaden at L and VHF band.

Attachments

• TB2RCS.png
    TB2RCS.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 41
That's an interesting observation. Can I ask you what was the attitude used for the vehicle in the simulation (the pic let us think that a negative AoA was used)?

At the defence commission meeting held in the Sejm, the lower house of the Polish Parliament, new details regarding the $ 260-270 million Bayraktar TB2 purchase emerged:

4 sets consisting of 6 UCAVs each, 24 UCAV and 12 Ground Control Stations in total
The delivery of the;
1st set is October 31, 2022.
2nd set is April 30, 2023.
3rd set is 31 October 2023.
4th set is 30 April 2024

Package includes;
Spare parts and 2 years technical support
3 ground control stations in each unit
2 SAR radars
6 IFF systems
3 mobile data transfer terminals to increase data-link range
2 simulators
Training of 192 pilots and ground crew in Turkey and Poland for 15-17 weeks

Last edited:
At the defence commission meeting held in the Sejm, the lower house of the Polish Parliament, new details regarding the $ 260-270 million Bayraktar TB2 purchase emerged:

4 sets consisting of 6 UCAVs each, 24 UCAV and 12 Ground Control Stations in total
The delivery of the;
4th set is 30 April 2024

Package includes;
2 SAR radars
6 IFF systems
2 simulators
That sounds like a bargain to me. Are they armed or able to carry weapons?

The delivery of the;
4th set is 30 April 2024

Package includes;
2 SAR radars
6 IFF systems
2 simulators
That sounds like a bargain to me. Are they armed or able to carry weapons?

All purchased are arms capable (UCAV) variants with 4x hardpoints. However, no information regarding negotiations on weapons purchases is given. The main armaments of the TB2 currently are the; MAM-L & MAM-C
d94df7c212e9d39884977a5e8045ecc9.jpg

So i did my estimate on TB-2's Radar Cross Section. got to say it's a clever design. By focusing the largest spike upward. It shows RCS optimization against ground based radars at least up to S-band. Which pretty much those one may encounter in tactical situations (most if not all ground based Mobile air defense's radar are in S-band).

The spike however begin to broaden at L and VHF band.

I don't think it was by design, as the company in its infancy did not have the capabilities or manpower to study the dynamics and intricacies of radar cross-section.

Here is the full team that produced the first prototypes, TB1.
sinop2.jpg

Here's the team a few years later having won the Turkish tender for tactical drones with their improved TB2 design.
BaykarEkip2.jpg

And the team as it stands now, having won a Turkish contract to develop Akinci Combat Drone
eafu8orx4aufhaq.jpg

According to the information obtained by the AA correspondent, ASELSAN and SEFİNE Shipyard have joined forces to develop trimaran-style unmanned surface vehicles.

Burak Yilmaz_2021_temmuz_AA-25019211_waifu2x_art_noise1_scale_tta_1.png
Burak Yilmaz_2021_temmuz_AA-25019212_waifu2x_art_noise1_scale_tta_1.png

Image from the steel cutting ceremony' 7th June
E5tuRqeXEAcDRM5_waifu2x_photo_noise1_scale_tta_1.png

Last edited:
Bayraktar #AKINCI TİHA flew for 13 hours and 24 minutes with a payload of 3000 lb (1,360 kg).#AKINCI With NEB under the fuselage, it rose to an altitude of 30,000 feet (9.144 meters).

3000 lb (1,360 kg)
13 hours 24 minutes
30,000 feet

View: https://twitter.com/Baykar_Savunma/status/1413806728907567107?s=20

3.jpeg 4.jpeg

You can learn about the NEB here;

Last edited:
According to the information obtained by the AA correspondent, ASELSAN and SEFİNE Shipyard have joined forces to develop trimaran-style unmanned surface vehicles.

View attachment 660302
View attachment 660303

Image from the steel cutting ceremony' 7th June
View attachment 660304
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwrKn2Vm2c&t=1s

5.PNG 6.PNG

8.PNG 1.PNG

MİUS will operate at a cruising speed close to the speed of sound.

The next prototypes will be supersonically capable of going above the speed of sound.

It will have close to 1.5 tons of ammunition and useful load capacity.

It will be able to carry Air-Air, Air-Ground smart missiles and cruise missiles.

It Will be designed to takeoff from LHD without a catapult launching system, will also be capable of landing on short runways with wire and hook.

Projected First flight expected in 2023

E6uKi3xXMBMWk0o.jpg E6uKiGMXMBE40Mm.jpg E6uKjb8XMAwAme0.jpg E6uKkDTXMBcc5mh.jpg

1626765527285.png

Last edited: