TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

prof. Dr. İsmail DEMİR: "We have an alternative engine option for the National Combat Aircraft. Also, we had the possibility of working with Rolls-Royce company for the national engine. We had some concerns here, we resolved these concerns. The work has begun."

View: https://twitter.com/SavunmaSanayiST/status/1500013599963725824?s=20&t=w1odjbsYqS_2D-SukxM2yQ

Rolls-Royce/KALE Engine back on the Table.
View attachment 675130

It will be good news if Rolls-Royce gets picked for the engine contract for the TFX National Combat Aircraft.

It will be good news if Rolls-Royce gets picked for the engine contract for the TFX National Combat Aircraft.
Their(the Brits) biggest concern I've heard was the Qatari involvement in TR Motors in form of BMC, which is apparently gone now. Though the problem of Turkish owned IP is another question still, which for it to realize, Turkey would have to develop those on their own, with or without British support.

prof. Dr. İsmail DEMİR: "We have an alternative engine option for the National Combat Aircraft. Also, we had the possibility of working with Rolls-Royce company for the national engine. We had some concerns here, we resolved these concerns. The work has begun."

View: https://twitter.com/SavunmaSanayiST/status/1500013599963725824?s=20&t=w1odjbsYqS_2D-SukxM2yQ

View attachment 675130

So there will be three engines; note Turkey is not giving up local development, Rolls-Royce/KALE would be developing an alternative engine for TFX.

GENERAL ELECTRIC - F110

Development of Prototypes
1646647928914.png
ROLLS ROYCE & KALE
TAEC

Alternative Engine Development
1646647978735.png
TR MOTOR

Local Development
1646647998517.png

- To add, KALE have production experience with Pratt & Whitney engines

"At Kale Pratt & Whitney we manufacture Shroud, Heat Shield, Flap, Seal, Bracket Cone Assy and Ring for F135, which is the engine of 5th generation fighter aircraft F-35 Lightning II. We are also actively manufacturing parts for F100 engine family, which is used in F-15 and F-16 fighter aircrafts"

- and some design and development experience in turbojet engines for missiles.
KTJ-3200 equivalent to French Safran TR40 turbo jet engine
1646732188319.png

Last edited:

View attachment 675130

That picture of RR & KALE representatives is from 2017 and I have never heard RR of agreeing with sharing turbofan engine IP with Turkey (and RR can't share Eurojet IP anyway as the project IP is shared between European companies & countries). I am skeptical, but then again Demir has reportedly managed to obtain an approval for GE F404 from the US, so he may be right.

Why do TFX have both IRST and EOTS?
Why not? I mean, Checkmate also has both. Su-57 to some extent does too.
EOTS - for lower hemisphere and land-based targets. IRST - upper hemisphere and a2a targets. Lookup capability of EOTS is limited by radome, so it makes sense.

It will be better equipped than the F-22 for air to air and air to ground tracking without having the radar on all the time.

FNpXaznXIAM3Q1_

Now I know this is a TF-X related page but holy cow. Definitely a lookalike. Do any of you guys think that MIUS might end up featuring both identical characteristics and instruments? That would actually make the two more intertwined with one another right? Imagine testing some critical systems on the MIUS first, before making the eventual integration. Take the EOTS as an example. Both the TF-X and MIUS will feature it. Cost efficiency no?

- "The design of almost all parts of the prototype National Combat Aircraft is finished."
- "25 million lines of code is written for the software that will work on the ground test prototype TFX."

MMU Structural Engineering Director Eyüp Yiğit:

We are doing 2 studies for the 5+ generation MMU in the medium term:
1) Tandem Seat TFX. The second pilot will be able to direct the drones around him.
2) In its next step, the load on the pilot will be further reduced by using artificial intelligence.

Last edited:

View attachment 675130

So there will be three engines; note Turkey is not giving up local development, Rolls-Royce/KALE would be developing an alternative engine for TFX.

GENERAL ELECTRIC - F110

Development of Prototypes
ROLLS ROYCE & KALE
TAEC

Alternative Engine Development
TR MOTOR

Local Development

- To add, KALE have production experience with Pratt & Whitney engines

"At Kale Pratt & Whitney we manufacture Shroud, Heat Shield, Flap, Seal, Bracket Cone Assy and Ring for F135, which is the engine of 5th generation fighter aircraft F-35 Lightning II. We are also actively manufacturing parts for F100 engine family, which is used in F-15 and F-16 fighter aircrafts"

- and some design and development experience in turbojet engines for missiles.
KTJ-3200 equivalent to French Safran TR40 turbo jet engine
View attachment 675250
It doesn't make sense why you are wasting your resources in developing two engines of same class.

You guys already have JV with GE why don't you collaborate with them.

View: https://youtu.be/ziL_sRc7hTo

Chairman of the board and CEO of TEI, Professor Mahmut Faruk Akşit, explained the company’s aircraft engine development program. He stated that if Turkish authorities decide to cooperate with Rolls-Royce, TEI will also take part in the program. Akşit reminded us that Turkiye wants to manufacture the engine locally, and TEI has the most prominent and most capable manufacture and test infrastructure.

"The first batch of F110-GE-129E Turbofan Engines to be used in the first prototypes of the Turkish National Combat Aircraft (TF-X/MMU) was delivered. According to the information we learned at the 9th Air and Avionics Systems Seminar, the first batch of engines was delivered, however, no information was shared about the number of engines delivered.

The General Electric (GE) product F110-GE-129E Turbofan Engines are expected to be used in the first prototypes of the TF-X/MMU (3 Development Aircraft in Block-0 configuration) and in the Block-1 models to be manufactured under the LRIP and Serial Production Phases. In this context, Turkish Aerospace applied to the US Government for 5 engines in 2019 and 5 engines in 2021 to procure a total of 10 engines in two separate batches."

Last edited:
what are the likely export prospects of this aircraft?

Pakistan (may compete with the JF-31/FC-31)?
Other Turkic countries? (Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan)?
Ukraine?
NATO countries?

Ukraine?
NATO countries?
Let it appear first, i guess.
I mean, even first Hurjet hasn't been assembled yet. Talking about wonderful export prospectives of a jet from a producer who hasn't flown a single jet of their own design yet is just a bit premature.

Ukraine?
NATO countries?

No countries have shown solid interest as of yet, Pakistan has some universities involved in the TFX, however I think a lot of countries are just on bystander mode looking to see if the project achieves its goals.

- Turkey is still building it's subsonic wind tunnel
- Export restrictions on the F110 engine is high
- Development of Turksih engines has no substantial proof of capability, even if it exists it's 10-15 years away

It's a long haul flight, that a new governing power (elections soon) could nudge to non-existence...

Hurjet is progressing well though, with light armed version on the way.

Engine development;
TEI has finally revealed TF6000 turbofan engine, prototype is in production and testing to start soon
-6,000 lbf dry thrust
-10,000 lbf thrust with afterburner
1654850589457.png
A stepping stone towards TFX engine

Last edited:
Engine development;
TEI has finally revealed TF6000 turbofan engine, prototype is in production and testing to start soon
-6,000lb dry thrust
-10,000lb thrust with afterburner
View attachment 679384
A stepping stone towards TFX engine
This engine will probably be used on Kizilelma in the future. But I think its first appearance will be on the TAI TISU. That aircraft (if it actually exists) will surprise a lot of blokes for sure.

Hoping to see similar pics dropping from the MMU team in a couple of months. I've been following this program since its early days. It's so nice seeing them grow.

This engine will probably be used on Kizilelma in the future. But I think its first appearance will be on the TAI TISU. That aircraft (if it actually exists) will surprise a lot of blokes for sure.
Since Kızılerma and TIUS are basically UCAVs which seems to be on a same proposition, designed by different companies, I'd assume those are competing designs for the same role? Also from what I find, I don't see anything ground breaking concerning TIUS that would hardly surprise any of us here at least.

Actually, would the mods please sort the replies on this thread to the respective threads? This thread is dedicated to the Turkish fighter jet development program, and in the same time there are separate threads dedicated to Hurjet and all the other Turkish UAVs. It would be meaningless to have all those separate threads if these replies, mine included, are just posted here regardless. Thank you.

TF-X's simulator will apparently be making a debut at Farnborough airshow this week. I'm not sure if it will be the same VR simulator we saw, or perhaps something different. I'm also wondering if we are going to see a new mock-up for the TF-X. I highly doubt it, but you never know. Considering TAI unveiled a new mock-up for Hurjet...

It hasn't changed one bit, which is fine. Awaiting more pics from the exhibition area, apparently that's where the simulator is.
FX2-wNGWQAItpO2.jpeg

TAI has showcased TF-X's simulator for the first time at Farnborough International 2022. One thing that is seemingly obvious is how massive the frontal fuselage looks, especially when compared to the mock-up that is also being exhibited. Upon closer inspection it becomes clear that not only is it larger in size, but it's also significantly different design wise. See below...

Screen Shot 2022-07-18 at 21.57.32.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 22.02.00.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 22.00.14.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 13.34.36.png

This finally ends discussions regarding the actual length of the aircraft. Not 19 meters like the mock-up, but 21 meters. Just by looking at the photos above and some earlier (& not so well known) renders, we can see that the frontal fuselage is now starting to look a lot like the F-35.

EDIT: As I was saying that, the new photo shared didn't make the cockpit look that large. Slightly larger than the mock-up still. TAI might be playing their secrecy game again. We will find out soon enough.

So to just clear things up...

w3h3l5vbk6y71.jpg
This ain't the TF-X (no matter how furiously TAI exhibits it all over the place :p)

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 19.23.41.png
This is

So it's safe to say the design has been complete for quite some time now. Dates back to Anatolian Eagle 2021.
Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 13.09.17.png

Last edited:
So it's safe to say the design has been complete for quite some time now. Dates back to Anatolian Eagle 2021.
How is a design "complete" when CDR is planned for 2024? Even accounting to the alleged shortening of schedule by a year, the CDR cannot happen before 2023. Also the Turks are still negotiating a new contract with BAE for second stage development.

Also that computer graphics doesn't seem any different to the mock-up.