TAI TF-X / Milli Muharip Uçak MMU Kaan

wildly paraphrased but straight from the guy who personally typed the actual document fifty to fiftyfive years ago

1-ONLY military requirement is to undisputably defeat the Greeks
2-which deters any permutation of Greece, Syria, Iraq and Iran
3-which repels the possibility of a general Kurdish uprising within
4-which annuls the possibility of an all out war with and an invasion by the US
5-due extremist beliefs of the said not to be discussed here
6-tactical air power is the only thing flexible enough for 1 and 2
7-and can be acquired within reason
8-airframe companies can fail , Curtiss of 1920-40s as the best example
9-any deal must be with the engine company ever surplus to American requirements
10- that every single jet that will be purchased will be powered by the same

if you wish , you can debate to the end of times whether we would really buy the F-16/79 or is there any possibility that America delivered F-35s not with the markings of a now dead Airforce ? In view of the claims that the exposure of the Gülen Movement for so little a gain has created an environment of "mistrust" in the country that poisons any long term assesment to the extent nobody knows what might happen and America needs some time before bigger things come up ? Time that would be used to re-arrange American assets within ? Time that might be in short supply with the dangerously surprising Russian behaviour after 2014 ? Time that might perhaps be bought by "respect" shown to existential struggle that might have been fought out in 1974-5 ? As in some old engine stuck in , in a plane with an entire function is to be merely a PR piece and any production was to be no better than a regular F-16 . As already mentioned in the thread and which was wargamed to a loss-rate of 70 to 1 facing USAF , but the expectation seems all the airbases will be abandoned immediately when the attacks begin and 50-55 on the ground and a couple of unfortunates in the air would be enough for Pentagon to gloat in the press briefings , declaring Air Dominance ...

edit: to help an early thing , will remove it if appears as a post

it isn't . Merely the mark of the pseudo engineer and confirmation of US goodwill for the duration . When people wanna play Hermit Kingdom , them unreformed 20th Century Barbarians , they can surely manage to clone a 110 . Just like the Allied plane moniker assures that British designed plane must be All-American . Confused ? Goverment supporters think the post opening the very page is a sage advice to them , now that they sincerely believe it's them who will fight the interests of the US , to say the least .

for those who haven't tasted the experience , when the newspaper calls you a liar , you don't necessarily get a fill of anger , let alone blinding rage . Hence TR Motors is mere 7 months old . Which ı presume to mean Turkish Reaction Motors , now that Republic is a despised word . They don't name the initial choice and claim RR is still in the running as soon as the British give full rights to the design , so that famous "New" Turkey can start selling planes to the Arabs , fully produced here , even if the engines would arrive in Eskişehir 80% assembled already . All in all , a thing to keep things quiet at the coal-face . Looping to the first paragraph , ı was cursed on the street while coming to the webcafe and some other guy has already heard that ı have no issues with the Americans but despise the British . If silencing had not been in so much vogue , they would also know that they were amicably advised not to grow too much roots here and perhaps move to Doha , the future capital ...

a perfectly understandable post , too ...

Rolls-Royce dials back on project to build new Turkish fighter jet
Erdogan-backed scheme hit issues over intellectual property

https://www.ft.com/content/164c5ee0-3d1d-11e9-8c2f-30761f19a974

Attachments

• tfx.jpg
    tfx.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 326
so , apparently there is indeed a guy named Roper in the US Defence Establishment and he wants very short span contracts , like 72 strong fighter programmes , running at 3 years at 24 per annum , that kind of thing , to get faster responses .

those on the Lockheed Martin's payroll should not be alarmed , he doesn't mean that , he doesn't mean anything and nobody intends to sell 72 or 720 or 7200 or 72000 planes to the US .

oh , ı should also answer now that it apparently didn't come online back in the day , like a year and 4 days back . Of course they are telling the F-110 is only for test , but the thing is America , of a sort , is fed up with the British running of the economy of the so called New Turkey , causing ripples of insignificant trouble , you know ... And what's a year in the history of states ?

ignore website reputation, just stating what Erdogan said,

"The beginning of production of our own military planes, scheduled for 2033, will be the best response to those who do not wish to supply F-35 [fighter jets] to Turkey", Erdogan said in his speech at the opening of an ammunition recycling plant in the province of Kirikkale, broadcast by the Turkish NTV channel."

Those are second and tetriary (if purges even have any reasonable effect at engineering part of situation) to total lack of engineering school of developing fighter jet aircrafts (or any serious fixed wing aircraft in whole).

Purges in Soviet Union in 30s and in Turkey now are two drastically different things.

From last month:

Thanks ... a very reasonable report, even if at the Key-Forum some won't like it.

I dont think anyone barely cared about the aircraft at that forum besides one Turkish user that got banned than the news of the aircraft died down over there. The biggest rage at f-16.net revolves around Turkey's situation with the s-400 or something gripen related. I am not really that shocked to see a high negative feedback here regarding Erdogan's quote.

In 2017, Kale Group and British company Rolls-Royce launched a joint venture to develop aircraft engines for Turkey, initially targeting the TF-X. But the £100 million (U.S. $124 million) deal was effectively put on hold due to uncertainties over technology transfer. In December, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavusoğlu said the government is keen to revive talks with Rolls-Royce.

When asked for an update on negotiations, a Rolls-Royce spokesperson told Defense News: “We submitted an engine co-development proposal to Turkey, but the customer has not elected to pursue this to date.”

A year before the Kale Group-Rolls-Royce partnership, Turkish Aerospace Industries — a sister company of TEI — signed a $125 million heads of agreement with U.K.-based firm BAE Systems to collaborate on the first development phase of the TF-X. Turkey originally planned to fly the TF-X in 2023, but aerospace officials are now eyeing 2025 at the earliest.

Construction of TF-X Engineering Building has been completed and currently being furnished, will house 3,000 engineers with growth potential of 10,000 engineers.
a.jpg s.jpg

TAI-Tübitak Near and far field Radar Cross Section test and analyst facility is currently being constructed and will be completed in 2021.

Some Turkish Aviation updates;

TF-X Roll-out is expected in 2023.
Domestic TFX Engine first ignition expected in 2023
First flight of Hurjet Jet Trainer expected in 2023

2023 is Turkey centennial, so lots of on-going projects are expected to hit milestones in their development.

2023 is Turkey centennial, so lots of on-going projects are expected to hit milestones in their development.

Sorry to say it again ... these are not updates but pure propaganda! It's plain ridiculous to think any indigenous Turkish engine will be ready until 2023, when they even today still not know who's providing technical assistance at what terms of condition and I still hold the bet, neither RR nor GE - even if a F110 is allegedly planned to power the prototypes - will ever share full ToT for a fifth generation engine.

Anyway, let's wish them luck and let's prepare the popcorn to watch the part.

Sorry to say it again ... these are not updates but pure propaganda! It's plain ridiculous to think any indigenous Turkish engine will be ready until 2023, when they even today still not know who's providing technical assistance at what terms of condition and I still hold the bet, neither RR nor GE - even if a F110 is allegedly planned to power the prototypes - will ever share full ToT for a fifth generation engine.

You remind me very much of the story I heard of the Germans trying to sell M3 Amphibious Rigs to Turkey. Turkey being dissatisfied with pricing and offsets, rejected the purchase and gave the project to Turkish company FNSS. Germans said it was not possible for Turkey to develop such a vehicle with resources it had. FNSS OTTER amphibious rig was developed and is in service with Turkish Land Forces.

Now I'm going out of topic and there is no correlation with aerospace and land industries. What I'm trying to relay is, it's never done until it is done. And Turkey is definitely working towards it with the $800mil spent on BAE SYSTEMS for preliminary design stage of TFX and the newly built engineering building.

First ignition of TRMOTORS turbojet engine is expected in 18th march of 2023, make sure you add that to your calendar, I'll have my raki, you have your popcorn ready and celebrate Turkey's centennial. :)
ee7d077f3b476a3.jpg

You remind me very much of the story I heard of the Germans trying to sell M3 Amphibious Rigs to Turkey. Turkey being dissatisfied with pricing and offsets, rejected the purchase and gave the project to Turkish company FNSS. Germans said it was not possible for Turkey to develop such a vehicle with resources it had. FNSS OTTER amphibious rig was developed and is in service with Turkish Land Forces.

Now I'm going out of topic and there is no correlation with aerospace and land industries. What I'm trying to relay is, it's never done until it is done. And Turkey is definitely working towards it with the $800mil spent on BAE SYSTEMS for preliminary design stage of TFX and the newly built engineering building.

First ignition of TRMOTORS turbojet engine is expected in 18th march of 2023, make sure you add that to your calendar, I'll have my raki, you have your popcorn ready and celebrate Turkey's centennial. :)
View attachment 638955
Jet engines especially in 21st century take quite a bit more effort to develop, test and produce than an amphib bridge or the like.
Last time i checked the tab for producing a new engine was atleast 10 years and $10B.

Not to forget, there's quite bit more to a 5th gen fighter than just its engine.
Then again, as one of the quoted articles mentions, turkey might get a F22 'like' aircraft and not necessarily a 5th gen aircraft ( including all the advanced avionics, digital sensors, suites), kind of like a stealthy F-15 silent eagle.

Also, even if turkey spends the $20 or so billion to completely RDT&E the system, it'll still have the massive cost of actually producing these jets. ( billions in equipping, training, line suppliers)

Basically, it makes no sense to design and produce a 5th gen jet that doesn't spawn into atleast 500 or so units, not unless you're happy to pay $200m for each of those. We'll witness this as scaf and tempest try to manuever around a still birth.

View attachment 638955

I'll do, and I'll promise I'll open a very fine bottle of French Champagne IF everything happens .... but I think - as @Bhurki noted - to think you can develop an indigenous turbofan engine (surely not a turbojet as You noted!) within that brief time and with a budget of only $800mil is indeed only a dream. But again, I'll wait and watch the show.

Back to your comparison: But why do they still have issues with the Altai's power pack?

View attachment 638955

I'll do, and I'll promise I'll open a very fine bottle of French Champagne IF everything happens .... but I think - as @Bhurki noted - to think you can develop an indigenous turbofan engine (surely not a turbojet as You noted!) within that brief time and with a budget of only $800mil is indeed only a dream. But again, I'll wait and watch the show.

Back to your comparison: But why do they still have issues with the Altai's power pack?

As you please, but champagne with popcorn - might not go so well together?

Yes, my mistake a turbofan engine. They claim that a first run (in-laboratory conditions) will be conducted on 18th of March 2023, it will surely extend to a decade at-least for a fully developed engine.
$800mil was what was paid to BAE SYSTEMS. There is no full disclosure as to what the costs of development of the block 1 would be, but $30bil is being hovered around.

BAE Systems Turkey said:
BAE System is hiring Engineers for the TF-X program

We’re committed to recruiting, developing and retaining the very best people as we look to expand our presence in Turkey, working closely with Turkish Aerospace Industries on the TF-X programme to develop a fifth generation fighter jet for the Turkish Air Force.

BAE Systems Turkey is a trusted partner working closely with Turkish Aerospace industries in the development of the TF-X an indigenous fifth-generation fighter jet for the Turkish Air Force.

The TF-X programme provides unique opportunities for skilled engineers who are keen to be involved in the early lifecycle stages of a major defence programme working in a collaborative, international environment.

The TF-X Programme was launched in December 2010 for the acquisition of a domestically developed aircraft to fulfil the Turkish Air Force’s requirements for combat aircraft beyond 2020. It is a National Prestige Program for a fifth generation fighter.

There are a range of exciting roles available based in Ankara in Turkey between 2020 and 2022. These will be predominantly located at the Turkish Aerospace Industries site in Ankara. As a valued team member you'll enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package, as well having the chance to further your skills by working on an exciting and cutting edge project.

The majority of our roles are in the Engineering disciplines of Aerodynamics, Flight Control Software, Weights, Environmental and Flight Systems. New recruits for the duration of the programme are offered permanent employment contracts to join BAE Systems Turkey.

is there any reason why they didn't work with the Koreans this time?

They normally do. and the Turks also work with the Indonesians too (they made a light tank together)
so a Turkish-Korean-Indonesian joint fighter sounds feasible and a true Asiafighter of sorts.

had they done so, it would be flying this year.

They normally do. and the Turks also work with the Indonesians too (they made a light tank together)
so a Turkish-Korean-Indonesian joint fighter sounds feasible and a true Asiafighter of sorts.

had they done so, it would be flying this year.
They both wanted to lead their own projects (politically and industrially). And involvement by Turkey now brings various political complications that the South Korea is probably glad it doesn’t have to worry about.

Last edited:

Prob differences in objective.

Turkey aimed for something more ambitious than KFX, they want an F-15 class heavy fighter. Thus why new engines.

That was partial reason, Turkey did want an air superiority fighter to complement F-35 (we all know how that went). The real reasons as @kaiserd points out were political and industrial. Turkey would be essentially funding an S.Korean project with little input into the project and very little know-how to gain from it. Essentially, current issues Indonesian MoD are having with being involved in KFX.

Prob differences in objective.

Turkey aimed for something more ambitious than KFX, they want an F-15 class heavy fighter. Thus why new engines.

That was partial reason, Turkey did want an air superiority fighter to complement F-35 (we all know how that went). The real reasons as @kaiserd points out were political and industrial. Turkey would be essentially funding an S.Korean project with little input into the project and very little know-how to gain from it. Essentially, current issues Indonesian MoD are having with being involved in KFX.

And exact description of the situation that however omits to tell that no-one took and takes the Turkish claims seriously.
Even if I had and still have my doubts on Korea's capabilities, they at least decided a realistic concept ...

And what had or has Turkey to offer? What experience have they in regard to develop, design, build, test and certify an indigenous project in that class? NOTHING so far. They were a decent subcontractor, a capable licence and sub-assembly structures manufacturer but to think we can develop with less experience and budget even more experience counties either failed or struggled is nothing but hubris or stupidity. As such to demand project lead in such an important and anyway critical project with unrealistic claims is not the best way to arrange a partnership.
A fighter larger and more capable than the raptor, able to fly at Mach 2 as some claim in several nationalistic forums and any critical question is immediately turned down not with a reasonable explanation on how do they want and plan to accomplish this herculean goal, but with with general stupid argument "you are surely pro-Gülen, against Turkey or whatever"!

So far I did not hear a single logical, reasonable argument:
- how they will develop such a monster-engine within a shorter time with less budget than anyone else did, with barely NO experience in full indigenous development of such a project (not counting smaller UAVs, they are not comparable) and that all with a foreign partner, who then should sell its own crown-jewels by granting full ToT for just a few $$.
- who has now won the contract to develop this indigenous engine to replace the F110? What is plan B if neither RR or GE will provide full ToT, or if delays occur?
- what about economic, sicial, political changes in Europe, in Turkey specially after COVID-19?

But again, we will see, what happens next ...

HAVELSAN joins the National Combat Aircraft

WORKS ON SOFTWARE ARE UNDERWAY
Ahmet Hamdi Atalay, the former General Manager of HAVELSAN that MMU, as a project, is a source of national pride and will help Turkey “move up a league”.
Saying that there are few countries managing to manufacture the 5th generation combat aircraft that will emerge as a result of the project, Atalay stated
“Hopefully, we will be also among those countries. The aircraft’s roll-out is forecast to be in 2023. This is a project for which we will work hard for years to get what we desire. This product can be called as ‘flying computer’ as it is a 5th generation aircraft. A flying computer on which software of about 20 million lines will run and hundreds of modular software will work together… Hence, HAVELSAN’s position as a key player in the project is highly expected.”

TFX Time-Line

2018 - Project Start > 2022 - Preliminary Design Review > 2029 - Initial Operational Capability > 2032 - Final Operational Capability > 2032 - Serial Production

Untitled-1.jpg

First Piece of TF-X is Revealed: Air Inlets

Having spoken with C4 Defence on December 30, 2019 Turkish Aerospace President & CEO Temel KOTIL stated that Turkish Aerospace and TUBITAK BILGEM have started to work on the reflection of radar waves from the TF-X aircraft. KOTIL said, “We have started cutting the air inlets, we made the first air inlets. We began to work on their electromagnetic reflection with TUBITAK BILGEM. The first air intake is now at TUBITAK. We want to see whether the inlet is swallowing or reflecting the RF waves. We have started to analyze this and are physically hands-on in the process now. So, it's not just on paper anymore.”
Supplying the engines with the necessary quantity of air for generating thrust takes place by specially designed air inlets. The task of the air inlet is to supply the engine with a uniform, stable, low-loss flow. The air inlets come in a variety of shapes and sizes with the specifics usually dictated by the speed of the aircraft. One of the critical designs affecting the performance of the aircraft engine at subsonic, supersonic speeds and high angle of attack is the air inlet design of the aircraft. The geometric shape of the air inlet also closely concerns its reflection from the radar.

The MMU/TF-X will be fitted with a pair of Fixed Shape Supersonic Inlets with stationary diverters (fixed diverter inlets). When the airframe design of the TF-X mock-up is examined closely, one of the first details that draws attention is that the air inlets are fixed as in the F-22 and there is a 3-4 inch gap between the fuselage and the air inlets, which aims to isolate boundary layer airflow. Just like the F-22, there are also Air Pressure Relief Doors on the back of the TF-X fuselage. The 5th Generation aircraft, such as the F-35 JSF, J-20 and FC-31, are usually fitted with Diverterless Supersonic Inlets (DSI). DSI type supersonic air inlets have better stealth ability than fixed diverter air inlets and are more efficient, but they have a performance limit that will not allow the aircraft equipped with them to exceed Mach 1.8 - Mach 2.1. The F-35 JSF is a multi-role combat aircraft, which is designed primarily for air-to-ground combat, so it doesn't need either to fly at high speeds or to have supercruise capability. Because of that, the F-35’s maximum speed is Mach 1.6. The F-22 and TF-X, on the other hand, are air superiority fighters (MMU/TF-X’s primary role would be air-superiority), which means they should be capable of flying at high speeds. It is believed that with the 29,000lb class indigenous turbofan engines the TF-X might exceed the speed limit of DSI type air inlets. So using DSI type air inlets on the aircraft would not be a good idea for the MMU/ TF-X. Moreover, as in the case with the F-22, which could achieve Mach 1.5+ speeds without the use of afterburners (supercruise capability), the TF-X will also have supercruise capability

TF-X to undergo 20,000hrs of wind tunnel tests

At his address during Turkey 2023 Summit held on November 30, 2019 KOTIL said that TF-X delivery to the TurAF will be commenced in 2029 and Turkish Aerospace would be able to deliver 2 aircraft per month with a combined production capacity of 24 aircraft per year. Speaking at ‘Turkish Defense Industry - MMU/ TF-X Dialogues Conference held at Cukurova University on December 13, 2019 Head 76 of SSB Aircraft Department Abdurrahman Seref CAN disclosed that currently ongoing Preliminary Design Phase would be completed in 2022, first MMU/TF-X prototype would be rolled out in 2023 and first flight would be carried out in late 2026 or early 2027. He also disclosed that as of December 2019 a total of around 400 Turkish Aerospace engineers from different disciplines are currently taking part MMU/ TF-X design activities and BAE Systems supports design of the MMU/TF-X with some 90 engineers based in Ankara. Speaking at the same Conference Turkish Aerospace Deputy General Manager Responsible for the MMU/TF-X Program Prof. Dr. Mustafa CAVCAR underlined that the TF-X will have super cruise capability and to feature internal weapon bays. According to CAVCAR, during 2018 successful wind tunnel tests were carried out, in 2020 further wind tunnel tests will be performed. “The TF-X will undergo over 20.000 hours wind tunnel tests,” CAVCAR said.
According to data from the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), approximately 35,000 to 45,000 hours would be required to develop a typical modern transonic/ low supersonic military aircraft (the F-35 required 63,000 hours for three variants) (AIAA 2009).

FIrst Phase Foreign Engines

5x F110-GE-129E engines have been ordered from General Electric. 4 to be installed and fifth would be used as a spare.

National Engine

The SSB’s President DEMIR noted that development of the indigenous turbofan engine would be a long process, nearly 10 years, and the agreement that was signed with TR Motor will serve as a framework in this process. On the occasion of the signing ceremony on November 8th, a computer generated image (CGI) of TR Motor’s Turkish Indigenous Turbofan Engine was also shared with the media. Our initial analyses suggest that the current design has several similarities in terms of internal configuration with the F110 Turbofan Family. In this context for example, like the F110-GE-129 and -132 engines the Turkish Indigenous Turbofan Engine also features a Variable Inlet Guide Vane and as in the case with the F110-GE-132 engine it features “blisks” (bladed disks) in the three-stage modular fan section in lieu of traditional blades to improve performance and maintainability. The engine also incorporates one High Power turbine (HPT) and a Low Power Turbine (LPT). According to our sources the Turkish Indigenous Turbofan Engine to be supplied by TR Motor Power Systems will have similar dimensions and weight with F110 Turbofan Family.

According to the information obtained from the TR Motor Power Systems official, with whom we had the opportunity to meet at the company stand during Teknofest Istanbul 2019 September 17-22, 2019, the Conceptual Design Phase for the MMU/TF-X Engine was ongoing, and the engine development/design work was being carried out in parallel (rubber to rubber) and in coordination with the aircraft development. As of September 2019, more than 50 engineers including Turkish engineers brought in from foreign engine companies abroad were working on the project. As of September 2019, the delivery of the first set of indigenous turbofan engines to the TurAF for testing on the TF-X is planned to take place in 2028

Block Development Approach

We have determined to realize this Program under a ‘Block Development Approach’ (the performance and capacity of the TF-X fighter aircraft will be improved with each block). That is, instead of providing all the desired performance parameters that were defined in the Operational Requirement List of the aircraft in one stroke; we will determine an approach where certain parameters are provided, put on top of each other and the final performance target is achieved within phases. In this sense, our first prototypes may not be in 5th Generation configuration and would have 4.5/4++ Generation fighter performance, but in time as we progress TF-X to the 5th Generation configuration eventually.

Pardon ... this is the same lame fan-made artwork, that is circulating the internet since 2018!

1604412508669.png

But is there anything new and finally confimative? For example has GE ever disclosed if it has delivered the engines? What's the latest on the indigenous engine?

But is there anything new and finally confimative? For example has GE ever disclosed if it has delivered the engines? What's the latest on the indigenous engine?

I would assume in respect of engine. If Turkey wants this bird get to the air ASAP... they will "borrow" the F-16 engine.