TTX 80.002 Side-by-Side AK/Launcher Combo

Cutaway

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Website
www.themilitaryforums.com
1216428457133ry8.png

1216428398864ox6.png

This combined weapon possibly inspired the likes of the present day OICW Project. It is an AK74 but shared with some .50calibre launcher.

http://militaryclub.narod.ru/war/pers.htm

Cutaway said:
This combined weapon possibly inspired the likes of the present day OICW Project.

Unlikely. The TTX seems to date from the late 1970's, and by that point combined weapons had been around for quite a while, including the SPIW.

Cutaway said:
It is an AK74 but shared with some .50calibre launcher.

.50 caliber seems an odd choice... not different enough from the basic weapon to be of much utility...

Attachments

• spiw.jpg
    spiw.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 161
12.7mm is very different to a 5.45mm bullet. The Soviet 12.7x108mm fires a 48.2 gram round compared to the 3.2 gram round of the 5.45x39mm cartridge. This weapon's 12.7mm is obviously a much smaller case than the 12.7x108 for a much lower velocity. But for an explosive shell a 48 gram round is not as good as 40x46mm or 25x59mm but its better than nothing.

Abraham Gubler said:
But for an explosive shell a 48 gram round is not as good as 40x46mm or 25x59mm but its better than nothing.

Hmmm...With the extremely limited amount of explosives that can be packed into a 12,7mm projectile, to say nothing of the problems associated with making a reliable and safe fusing system, I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

NAMMO Raufoss is making the NM140MP APHEI, using a pyrotechnic fuse, for the 12,7x99mm (.50 cal. Browning), but that relies on the impact velocity of the heavy machine gun round to function. In the kind of low-velocity application shown here, I doubt it would work reliably and be safe (e.g. if dropped) at the same time.

Could the 12,7mm barrel be intended for some kind of less-lethal round, e.g. rubber bullets ? KBP Instrument Design Bureau and Tsniitochmash offer the UDAR revolver firing a selection of special 12,3mm rounds, including the SP-9N less-lethal baton round [source: Janes Infantry Weapons 2008-2009, ISBN 9780710628343].

Alas, my Russian is not up to the task of translating the shown spec sheet, I'm afraid...

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

i don't claim to be a firearms expert, but i'm thinking maybe this is meant as a 'suicide bomber stopper', i.e. a last ditch shot at zero range when you _have_ to stop the target.
just my two bob's worth.

cheers,
Robin.

Did a babel fish, these are my notes (retyped):
Developed between 1975-1979. The 12.7mm is self loading, 5.45 side retains both single and automatic. The 12.7mm ammunition is unknown. The barrels can be fired separately using "solid reactant gasses" from the bore (little fishy on this point). That is about it.

Avimimus said:
The barrels can be fired separately using "solid reactant gasses" from the bore......

As I read it, "solid reactant gases" refers to powder gasses, meaning that the weapon uses a standard (probably AK-derived) gas pressure mechanism.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark