Thunderbirds are go!!

Not certain this is good news though. Reviving old series may give the concepts a new lease on life, but it usually also never lives up to the memories of the original... partly because there is a conscious or unconscious will to either equal or outdo the original... and also because what makes the original still so attractive is the somewhat naive approach and rudimentary special effects. With realistic situations and hi-tech 3D effects, the lyricism is lost.

Stargazer2006 said:
Reviving old series may give the concepts a new lease on life, but it usually also never lives up to the memories of the original...
I thought the original Battlestar Galactica was pretty lame on its first showing - didn't pay any attention to its remake until the new generation told me 'You *really* have to watch this'. Not living up to the memories of the original was a big plus.

I am curious about the new series, but I very much doubt I belong to the target audience.

Not sure I'm in favour of this. Smells to me like a vehicle for marketing poor quality toys to children.

(posted from the Department for Cynicism)

I always liked Fireball XL5 - it's takeoff sled and ski jump rails were awe-inspiring! Check it out on YouTube if you're too young to remember it.

Orionblamblam said:
And yet Firefly remain cancelled.

Bah.

X2! Although there remains RUMINT that another Serenity movie might be possible due to Wedon's recent successes.

Browncoats live!

yasotay said:
X2! Although there remains RUMINT that another Serenity movie might be possible due to Wedon's recent successes.

Browncoats live!
Yay! Want that!

Gosh, unless they keep the Hollywood-Industrial Complex out of it, it's going to suck out loud. These remakes of childhood favorites inevitably get re-imagined into horrible CGI-driven "edgy", "dark" exercises in dystopia.

Props to whomever smelled the toy marketing campaign in this. I guarantee there's a memo in someone's inbox that contains the phrase "monetizing the franchise".

The only remake/reboot/regurgitation that I've liked in recent years was "Star Trek", maybe because I was never a huge fan of the original series or its 174 descendants. (Well, "Skyfall" was pretty good too, but that's a different kettle of martini olives.)

shedofdread said:
... a vehicle for marketing poor quality toys to children.
h4312EAA5

I would second to Stéphane and as Arjen said, the target audience probably is much younger !
Don't even know, if those designs, that we appreciated so much back then, will still draw the generation
of our kids from the woodwork. And if they change them completely, it won't have any similarity to the
original any longer, just besides the title.
I'm afraid, it will be like Christmas: We won't get back again the feelings from our childhood. :-\

i would be happy to let my kids watch Thunderbirds i watch them right now before sleep
but why are you all complaining about this BSG re-imagining got very nice just let Ronald Moor be the producer of the new Thunderbirds and air it on SyFy and you get like 100% win

Babylon 5 was epic and still is its bad that they didn't remake it yet

so far today kids don't have at least one TV series that are provoking there imagination...
or close related to the aviation/space here in Bulgaria when i was on 6-7 y/o they run like TNG Babylon 5 Thunderbirds and Great Planes and some space fighter type animation that i still cant find and we had only 2 channels I'm talking about early 90's

keep Jonathan Frakes so far as possible from that new production !

Dam still no remake of Babylon 5
the Series had it beautiful strange moments like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLZW8Deq8vE

piko1 said:
Babylon 5 was epic and still is its bad that they didn't remake it yet

B5 doesn't need a remake (*perhaps* a re-do of the special effects, which are dated). But sequels/followups could be good. "Crusade" was on it's way towards awesomeness, but got screwed over. Sadly, we're not too far from the timeframe of "Sleeping in Light."

no Abraham the World police have nothing to do with Thunderbirds the similarity is the using of Marionettes instead of Actors

@Orionblamblam
But sequels/followups could be good.

there are sequels but as a movies as i recall and one series i think and yes you are absolutely right the special effects must be re-made

I would love to see a remake of B5, if Strazyinski (Sp?) was at the helm and he was guaranteed five years up front, so he could retell the story the way it was meant to be told. I don't know how many know, but B5 was originally planned to be a five year (season) story, but he constantly had funding trouble and they thought it was going to be cancelled in the fourth season. So a lot of what he had planned for the fifth season was rearranged and brought forward into the fourth season. Then he received funding for the fifth season and had to figure out what to do, since most of the big "reveals" happened in the fourth season.

What made it a really special series, IMHO, was the changes in the characters over the five years, especially between Londo and G'Kar.

As for the Thunderbirds, I would like to see a more adult version, for those of us who grew up with it, but based on real aircraft concepts.

TB-1 could be a version of the Skylon.
TB-2 could be a hybrid airship, maybe one of those really big ones studied by Boeing.
TB-3 could be a version of the McDD DCX.
TB-4 could be something you ground military experts would know more about than me.
TB-5 is a space station. That shouldn't be a problem.

I would probably add more TB's, like one of the low boom SSBJ's. Possibly a high speed interceptor recon aircraft like that so called delta winged YF-23 precursor. I'm not saying that design is real, but something like it. Oh, and they would also have their own V-22s.

Sundog said:

Wire suspended tower? See picture (this is the real Skylon).

http://www.themodernist.co.uk/2011/08/the-skylon-londons-lost-modernist-symbol/

Sundog said:
As for the Thunderbirds, I would like to see a more adult version, for those of us who grew up with it, but based on real aircraft concepts.

It’s a nice idea but Hollywood will always go for design style as opposed to real engineering. The only Hollywood film makers interested in authenticity can be counted on one hand: Peter Jackson… ahh make that one finger, and he’s not even real Hollywood!

Attachments

• skylon.jpg
    skylon.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 147
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
Indeed - Peter's "Wellywood" :)

I can still remember when 'Meet the Feebles' came out. I'm sure that film has been baned across all the northern hemisphere.

Abraham Gubler said:
I thought Thunderbirds was already remade?

My favorite scene. "Gary?" (Shreds entire room with mini-gun.) "Gary?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UebvuKCVUV0

How about stop-motion, like this Voltron parody show (Titan Maximum).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeueGMXdLUg

Love Robot Chicken. Thunderbirds, Thundercats... what's the difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVDeDn3NoXk

Orionblamblam said:
Especially since they had their seventh important actor keel over just a few days ago. Damn show's cursed.

Who else have we lost? I know of Biggs, O'Hare, Conaway, and Katsulas.

Sundog said:

TB-2 could be a hybrid airship, maybe one of those really big ones studied by Boeing.
TB-3 could be a version of the McDD DCX.
TB-4 could be something you ground military experts would know more about than me.
TB-5 is a space station. That shouldn't be a problem.

I would probably add more TB's, like one of the low boom SSBJ's. Possibly a high speed interceptor recon aircraft like that so called delta winged YF-23 precursor. I'm not saying that design is real, but something like it. Oh, and they would also have their own V-22s.

You forgot TB-6. It can stay happily as a Tiger Moth.

hark40 said:
Orionblamblam said:
Especially since they had their seventh important actor keel over just a few days ago. Damn show's cursed.

Who else have we lost? I know of Biggs, O'Hare, Conaway, and Katsulas.

Robin Sachs died a few days ago, played a number of aliens... Narns Na'Tok, Na'Kal; Minbari Coplann and Hedronn
Turhan Bey (Centauri emperor) died in September... two days after O'Hare.
Tim Choate (Zathras) died in 2004.

Damn show's cursed.

Minor characters:
Paul Winfield, played Doc Franklin's dad, died 2004
Johnny Sekka, played Dr. Kyle in "The Gathering" pilot, died 2006.

You guys seem to forget a crucial element: if there is a juicy toy contract in the deal, there will not JUST be TB-1 to TB-5... Trust them to create a whole string of Thunderbirds! And in Hasbro fashion, trust them to make them TRANSFORM from ordinary vehicle to robot or somethin'!

I'm not for a re-make of B5. Sure the effects are dated, but i think (like Star Wars) it is completed and best as is. In twenty years perhaps I would want to watch a new version while enjoying my Solient Green bar.

I loved the first few series of B5, and thought DS9 a bit of an inferior ripoff. DS9 stands up better to the test of time though, better acting overall and more emotional involvement.

Here's a Thunderbirds 'remake' you may or may not have come across:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zowhg6l9RUc

Those vehicles would be ideal to be build using LEGO bricks ! ;)

In a bid to raise the space-adventure content of its transmissions, Cbeebies has been infected by the reboot-virus: Clangers to make TV return
Soup Dragon and Iron Chicken are rumoured to be in the new show.

Attachments

• CLANG.jpg
    CLANG.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 152
yasotay said:
I'm not for a re-make of B5. Sure the effects are dated, but i think (like Star Wars) it is completed and best as is. In twenty years perhaps I would want to watch a new version while enjoying my Solient Green bar.

i could see something similar to the "remastered" Star Trek original Series and TNG.. where they go through, digitally clean up and convert the footage to near HD, go through and "reshoot" the space scenes with better footage (in this case, replacing the old CGI with newer, better looking CGI), and go through and paste digital special effects into certain spots where needed to replace less impressive impressive ones.

not really a reboot, just a bit of a facelift.