Thor IRBM documentation

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good source of information on the Thor IRBM? There is a detailed official history of its contemporary, the Jupiter, on the internet, but I haven't found an equivalent for Thor. I'm trying to locate a good weight breakdown for the combat missile, and although there are several sites giving data for the missile, the information looks a bit unreliable.

I have a 160 MB file on the Thor as a launch vehicle. It has some info on the IRBM.

Thanks for a swift response.

I’m looking for as many of the following weight figures as possible for the ballistic-missile configuration:

Empty weight (with or without warhead)
Warhead weight
Total weight of propellants
Liftoff weight.

The reason I’m looking for this data is because I am trying to check the accuracy of software I am using to predict ballistic-missile performance. There is a merry debate going on at the minute between a group of academics and a group of engineers on the capability of Iran’s ballistic missiles, and much of the published data depends on the accuracy of performance predictions obtained from various modelling programs.

So I’m trying to devise a set of ‘calibration missiles’ ranging from the A-4 (V-2) onwards, missiles whose data is now declassified, so can be used to assess the accuracy of modelling software.

Various figures are available for Thor, but they are not consistent. And this is a field where a difference of 1,000 kg can have a big effect on final range.

Also, I’m aware that while my files and personal library contain a lot of information on first-generation ballistic missiles, Thor remains the exception to the rule. I’m hoping that some form of official history was written, and that someone somewhere has a copy of this, or of a technical manual that gives a good detailed description of the missile.