• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

This year's Luft'46 renderings for Dan Sharp's annual bookazine

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Since 2015 I have been illustrating the cover of Dan Sharp's annual Luftwaffe Secret Projects bookazine. Due to commitments on a TV series about Fokker and KLM I was unable to build the 3D models myself this year, so I asked Gino Marcomini to make these for me. I created the camouflage/markings and the final renders. Originally the asymmetric Bv P 171 was to feature on the cover and the three engine DFS 346 on the title page, but in the end it was used for a limited edition so I adapted it to the vertical format. I have attached images of each without the clutter of the cover titles, plus a couple of close-ups to appreciate the amount of detail that was put in. I hope you enjoy them!

Ronnie

Attachments

PlanesPictures

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
My congratulation. DFS346 is the best

But I know only versions with one or two rocket engines and on picture I can see three engines. It is real fact or fantasie?

Last edited:

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
Fantastic work! Why did you name BV P 171 pic "Zuendappchen"? That sounds strange (at least for german native speakers). Zuendapp (Zündapp) was a german engine factory, and its motors/engines were mostly for bikes (afaik). And the wordending "[...]chen" is a diminutive and makes everything smaller. So it was a "little bike-motor"? Greetings, Athpilot

Arjen

It's turtles all the way down
Reaction score
Think moped. I stand corrected. Sidecar it is.

Last edited:

PlanesPictures

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Reading it this week. Most interested in the Ta-152 with the Napier Sabre myself but the illustrations are top notch.

Skyraider3D

Aviation Artist
Reaction score
Website
www.aviationart.aero
Thanks very much for your comments! I'm glad you like them.

Athpilot, Zündappchen refers to the motorcycle with sidecar. The asymmetric planform of the Bv P 171 reminded me of it. So an aircrew could've thought the same and named their plane after it. The inscription appears underneath the cockpit.

athpilot

Fly me to the moon...
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your comments! I'm glad you like them.

Athpilot, Zündappchen refers to the motorcycle with sidecar. The asymmetric planform of the Bv P 171 reminded me of it. So an aircrew could've thought the same and named their plane after it. The inscription appears underneath the cockpit.
Thanks for the explanation! This makes perfect sense to me. It really looks that way... Please keep your great work going.
Athpilot