Third "Gerald R. Ford"-class carrier to be named "U.S.S. Enterprise" (CVN-80)

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announced earlier today during the inactivation ceremony for the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-65) that the third Gerald R Ford-class carrier, CVN-80, will also be named the Enterprise. CVN-80 will be the ninth Navy warship to bear the name Enterprise...

Source:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/uss-enterprise-inactivated-cvn.html

Triton said:
US Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announced earlier today during the inactivation ceremony for the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN-65) that the third Gerald R Ford-class carrier, CVN-80, will also be named the Enterprise. CVN-80 will be the ninth Navy warship to bear the name Enterprise...

Source:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/the-dewline/2012/12/uss-enterprise-inactivated-cvn.html
Of course they don't mention that this is just going to throw ALL the "model-walls" from all the movies and series straight to hell...

Randy :)

RanulfC said:
Triton said:

Source:
Of course they don't mention that this is just going to throw ALL the "model-walls" from all the movies and series straight to hell...

Star Trek 2009 already did a fine job of that. :eek:

sferrin said:
RanulfC said:
Triton said:

Source:

Star Trek 2009 already did a fine job of that. :eek:
Alternate Universe, Spock-1 said so! ;)

Randy

Does this mean that the next members of the Gerald R. Ford-class will be named for famous ships rather than ex-Presidents? Also wonder if there will be a second aircraft carrier named U.S.S. Nimitz.

Triton said:
Does this mean that the next members of the Gerald R. Ford-class will be named for famous ships rather than ex-Presidents? Also wonder if there will be a second aircraft carrier named U.S.S. Nimitz.

Nimitz doesn't have the history of "Enterprise".

sferrin said:
Nimitz doesn't have the history of "Enterprise".

Certainly not named for CVN-68, but named for Fleet Admiral Chester W Nimitz, GCB, USN (February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966)? Or will the next U.S.S. Nimitz be a destroyer? Flight III Arleigh Burke-class?

Triton said:
Certainly not named for CVN-68, but named for Fleet Admiral Chester W Nimitz, GCB, USN (February 24, 1885 – February 20, 1966)? Or will the next U.S.S. Nimitz be a destroyer? Flight III Arleigh Burke-class?

That's a pleasant thought, but I think the traditional USN name scheme is irretrievably scrambled. There's even an official position paper stating as much.

Madurai said:
Triton said:
That's a pleasant thought, but I think the traditional USN name scheme is irretrievably scrambled. There's even an official position paper stating as much.
It's so bad now that the USN might as well start selling ship-names and at least get a little cash out of the process.

I can just see it..... USS Home Depot....Not. Though I wouldn't be totally opposed to seeing a USS Excelsior come down the line.

How about the U.S.S Walmart. Aircraft on the top deck, and low low prices inside the ship for wherever they are at port. It would be great PR, and people could shop inside the ship, just watch out for any live cruise missles the shoppers might trip over.

Guys, please stop before some dumb arse politician sees this and starts talking to his "co-workers" :eek:

It strikes me that Enterprise is a safe choice for the new carrier. The name has good naval history, there are no museum ships of the same name, it's popular with the public (especially the sci-fi fans!) and doesn't involve trying to honour a politician who is probably disliked by half the voters for being of the wrong party or making bad choices while in power.

I just hope the politicians have the guts to continue this reuse of perfectly good historical names for US Navy carriers, even if it means going through the history books or finding some new ones, rather than trying to please themselves and their ilk.

XP67_Moonbat said:
How about USS Kandahar and USS Fallujah? If not for a CVN, maybe for an LHA perhaps.

Probably not for a CVN. I wonder if CVN 81 will be named USS Lyndon B. Johnson?

As for LHA names, there should also probably be a USS Da Nang and USS Khe Sahn.

Triton said:
XP67_Moonbat said:
How about USS Kandahar and USS Fallujah? If not for a CVN, maybe for an LHA perhaps.
I believe LBJ is already going to one of the Zumwalts.

Triton said:
XP67_Moonbat said:

Kandahar and Fallujah strike me as being amazingly tone deaf suggestions, likely to offend far too many people.

USS Pelileu was named both Da Nang and Khe Sahn at various points in her procurement.

TomS said:
Triton said:
XP67_Moonbat said:

Kandahar and Fallujah strike me as being amazingly tone deaf suggestions, likely to offend far too many people.

USS Pelileu was named both Da Nang and Khe Sahn at various points in her procurement.
If you're gonna name ships after battles, it's probably best if you stick to wars that we won definitively.

List of possible names based on the Bill of Rights

USS Freedom of Speech
USS Right to Bare Arms
USS Lawful Quarter
USS Rights of Property
USS Due Process
USS Jury of Peers
USS Law of Precedent
USS Common Humanity
USS Enfranchise
USS Reserved Rights

On second thought, those sound too much like racehorse names. Maybe someone else can do better.

I personally like some of those names, although I think anti-military people would find them satirical.

Dragon029 said:
I personally like some of those names, although I think anti-military people would find them satirical.

Who cares what anti-military people think. Maybe we should name them like in Ian M Banks Culture book series with titles like "Illustrious destruction" or "sorry, but you have to die now"? ;)

I vote that 81 and 82 are Lexington and Saratoga! Let's return to some of the classic names and give the politicians a rest for awhile. Its not like many current politicians would rate a tugboat let alone a carrier but I'll digress.

CliffyB said:
I vote that 81 and 82 are Lexington and Saratoga! Let's return to some of the classic names and give the politicians a rest for awhile. Its not like many current politicians would rate a tugboat let alone a carrier but I'll digress.

Forrestal, Midway, Corel Sea, Independence. . . there are a lot of good ones.

In addition USS Saratoga and USS Lexington, I hope that Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus will consider the names USS Hornet, USS Constellation, USS Ranger, USS New Ironsides, USS United States, USS Reprisal, USS Intrepid, USS Yorktown, USS Langley and USS Kitty Hawk before naming CVN 81 or CVN 82 USS Bill Clinton or USS Daniel Inouye.

If Secretary Mabus has any balls he should name an aircraft carrier for Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery or Chief of Naval Operations Louis E. Denfeld.

Triton said:
If Secretary Mabus has any balls he should name an aircraft carrier for Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery or Chief of Naval Operations Louis E. Denfeld.

Who? Would they be more deserving then say William Halsey?

http://wtkr.com/2013/06/18/uss-enterprise-to-go-on-final-voyage-for-inactivation/