• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Thermo Nuclear Fusion Rocket

fredymac

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother posting this except the guy behind it was the man who worked out the gravity assist flight profiles for Voyager. The video is long on math and design concept and features a Concorde like design at the very end. He assumes a constant 1 G flight to anywhere and winds up with just a few days to reach Jupiter. The vehicle takes off from the ground and goes all the way single stage based on ludicrous levels of propellant efficiency obtained through the nuclear fusion process.

If Lockeed is still spending bucks on their fusion reactor, they may want to send a few bucks to this guy just to lab test his basic reactor concept.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Of course all this conveniently ignores that breakeven still hasn't happened... :rolleyes::rolleyes: also that just like fission before it, ground-based reactors are less difficult than spaceborne ones...

Dilandu

I'm dissatisfied, which means, I exist.
Reaction score
Website
fonzeppelin.livejournal.com
Of course all this conveniently ignores that breakeven still hasn't happened... :rolleyes::rolleyes: also that just like fission before it, ground-based reactors are less difficult than spaceborne ones...

Actually no; with spaceborne reactor you have ideal vacuum and zero-g conditions for free.

edwest

Reaction score
Cold Fusion is now called Low Energy Nuclear Reactions. For something to be 'warm' after the reaction means high temperatures were not reached.

trose213

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Cold Fusion is now called Low Energy Nuclear Reactions. For something to be 'warm' after the reaction means high temperatures were not reached.

It's the difference between 4500 and millions+, so yeah it's cold relative. They just hate calling it cold because it conjures up previous frauds.

edwest

Reaction score
I have followed "cold fusion" from day one and attempts to replicate various experiments. The excess heat has a few explanations, but so far, nothing definitive.