The very first Douglas "DC-9"... from 1947!

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Too early to be included in the "McDonnell Douglas little-known airliners" topic, here is the very first aircraft to carry the tentative commercial designation "DC-9". That was in 1947! It resembled a shortened, twin-engine DC-6, meant to succeed the DC-3, and fitting 28 passengers on 7 rows. Had it met with airline interest, the article claims the DC-9 could have entered service as soon as 1949.

The following diagrams were scanned and restored from the September 1947 issue of Interavia (French edition). I'm also including a very detailed specs sheet for the project, but translating it into English would be tedious... I guess the corresponding English language version of Interavia has it in English already.

Attachments

• first DC-9 small.jpg
    first DC-9 small.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 956
  • 'DC-9' specs.jpeg
    'DC-9' specs.jpeg
    617.6 KB · Views: 850
Hi All!

This is a Douglas Model TS-1119 AKA Model 1119.

Source: McDonnell Douglas DC-9 by Terry Waddington (Great Airliners series, Volume: Four)

Thanks for the drawing. Any guesses as to which engine installation is depicted? Mine is it's the P & W, due to the long cowling. Anybody else?

nugo said:
Hi All!

This is a Douglas Model TS-1119 AKA Model 1119.

Source: McDonnell Douglas DC-9 by Terry Waddington (Great Airliners series, Volume: Four)

Hi,

the Douglas Model 1119 or TS-1119.

Attachments

• Model-1119.JPG
    Model-1119.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 575
Greetings All -

Found in a recent donation in the April 1, 1948 issue of American Aviation.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• zDouglas DC-9 twin radial engine proposal 3V.jpg
    zDouglas DC-9 twin radial engine proposal 3V.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 402
  • zDouglas DC-9 twin radial engine proposal internal layout.jpg
    zDouglas DC-9 twin radial engine proposal internal layout.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 387
Sherman Tank said:
Does this mean there's a 1940s DC-8 too?

Yes Sherman,

here it's;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4716.0.html

And even an early DC-7!

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,28561.0.html

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Actually, the original DC-7 proposal was an airliner version of the C-74.

This one predates even the commercial version of the C-74. It's likely, as ACResearcher pointed out, that DC meant Douglas Cargo like DB meant Douglas Bomber when it came to proposals and paper projects.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

I'd understood that DC stood for Douglas Commercial, remember that the DC-2 and DC-3 weren't initially cargo aircraft.

It does but the DC reference on the A-20 variant looks to be simply a in house name for the purposes of labeling it, not necessarily addressing a production product. It does fit in order though when you look at the DC-3, DC4(E) and DC-5 - just need to figure out what a DC-6 was in that sequence!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Back
Top Bottom