The Turbo-Prop Mustangs from Cavalier and Piper

GreatJimbo

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Here are my rendition of the two Turbo-prop mustangs made in the late 1960's (Cavalier) and mid 1980's (Piper). First up is the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III made by fitting a Rolls-Royce Dart turbo-prop engine from a Vanguard airliner to a Cavalier Mustang II conversion. There were very few reference pictures to use as a guide and those were lower res than I prefer. Luckily the line drawing was decent. I think the result is pretty good.

Line art by Neville Franklin
Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-side-landed-done.png Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-side-done.png Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-top-landed-done.png Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-top-done.png Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-front-landed-done.png Cavalier-Turbo-III-color-front-done.png

Here is the Piper PA48 Enforcer built as a new airframe loosely based on the Mustang unlike the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III which was originally a P-51D I believe. Since both prototypes have been restored and placed on diplay there are hundreds of good photos of both that I was able to correct most of the mistakes I hope. The line drawing was horrible with multiples of mistakes and did not have a front view. I took the Neville Franklin Cavalier Mustang front view, placed the nose section minus the radiator scoop of a
P-51D over it then modified it into what I think is a reasonably correct front view of the Enforcer. I did the Enforcer that is on Display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force. The other prototype is displayed at Edwards Air Force Base in California where the two prototyoes were evaluated. I hope you like them.

Line art by unknown(Top/Side); Neville Franklin/Lloyd S Jones (Front)

Piper-PA48-color-side-landed-done.png Piper-PA48-color-side-done.png Piper-PA48-color-top-landed.png Piper-PA48-color-top.png Piper-PA48-color-front-landed-done.png Piper-PA48-color-front-done.png

Note the extra-tall vertical fin on the Cavalier Mustang conversions.
Only post-war conversions got tip tanks.

The Piper Enforcer had a longer aft fuselage and completely new loft lines.

The bigger question is WHY did the USAF sink so much money into an obsolete airframe long after WW2?
Yes, we know that Douglas AD-1 Skyraiders proved far more valuable in Viet Nam than faster and more modern jets.

Same reason they sank money into testing an armed Piper Cherokee, Beechcraft Bonanzas, Cessna Caravans, the Bird Dogs, etc

At least in the case of the Piper Enforcer, the USAF never wanted any part of it. It was compelled to purchase and evaluate the airplane by legislation, no doubt instigated by those with a commercial interest in the project.

Great illustrations, Jimbo. Nicely rendered.

First up is the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III made by fitting a Rolls-Royce Dart turbo-prop engine from a Vanguard airliner to a Cavalier Mustang II conversion.

Can't be from a Vanguard, it was powered by RR Tyne engines. perhaps from a Viscount?

Bush war in Vietnam maybe ? a heavy need for CAS ? Note that between 1954 and 1962 France use a shitload of prop-driven aircraft for CAS in Algeria (T-6, T-28, Skyraiders, P-47s, A-26...) Then again, the FLN had no SA-2 nor any MiGs...

Also note the P-51D did a startling return in the mid-60's as chase aircraft for... the AH-56 Cheyenne. The usual prop trainers used to chase prototype helicopters (T-6s, T-28s...) were left behind in the dust by the AH-56 near 300 mph top speed.

Armed Cessna Caravans make sense for multiple reasons:
First, when equipped with precision-guided Hellfire missiles, they can stay above light AAA.
Secondly, Caravans are so easy to fly that junior pilots can transition directly from the Cessna 172s - that they flew their first flight in - to Caravans.
Thirdly, the USAF does not need to worry about being out-gunned - by Caravans - if they need to re-invade a few years later.
Finally, many Third-World air forces can afford Caravans while few can afford supersonic fighter-bombers.

I wouldn't suggest they don't make sense. It's just those were all part of the PAVE COIN evaluation. They looked at FAC, light strike, and light utility. The Cavalier was part of that.

The Enforcer came later, and was industry-driven.

Great illustrations, Jimbo. Nicely rendered.

First up is the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III made by fitting a Rolls-Royce Dart turbo-prop engine from a Vanguard airliner to a Cavalier Mustang II conversion.

Can't be from a Vanguard, it was powered by RR Tyne engines. perhaps from a Viscount?
Yes my bad it was the viscount. Thanks for catching that! And thanks for liking them. I'm getting better at them as I go. This is the 8th and 9th set that I have done so far.

Yup. Tyne was 6000 hp, Dart was *closer* from Packard or Allison Mustang piston engines, around 1600 hp. Now a Mustang powered by a Tyne would make a terrific Reno racer. Until it tear itself apart with the turboprop and propeller flying all by themselves - who needs a pilot or airframe really ? o_O

Back
Top Bottom