The Secret Horsepower Race by Calum Douglas (and piston engine discussion)

Hi Pasoleati,

The device my cousin's father had/has is like a desktop computer. Very easy to use.

You're still considering capability only.

Ergonomy is relaxed reading sitting in my comfy chair, or wherever I want, just as I do it with all of the other books I read, few of which feature such an unergonomical combination of book format, font size, and font legibility as the quote font in the "Horsepower Race".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Pasoleati,

You're still considering capability only.

Ergonomy is relaxed reading sitting in my comfy chair, or wherever I want, just as I do it with all of the other books I read, few of which feature such an unergonomical combination of book format, font size, and font legibility as the quote font in the "Horsepower Race".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
The problem of the quote font has nothing to with size. Just compare it to a Jane's AWA and test them side-by-side. JAWA has a very small font, yet it is most readable.

As someone who tends to read before sleep more than any other time, taking a desktop computer there would be difficult at best. If you like small fonts and overly busy pages, go for it. Other options should be available and for many of us, are preferable.

Hi Pasoleati,

The problem of the quote font has nothing to with size. Just compare it to a Jane's AWA and test them side-by-side. JAWA has a very small font, yet it is most readable.

In my world, the size of a borderline illegible font has a lot to do with its legibility. I don't know which world you're living in as it seems to have little similarity to mine.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Pasoleati,

In my world, the size of a borderline illegible font has a lot to do with its legibility. I don't know which world you're living in as it seems to have little similarity to mine.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)
Even if the quote font was doubled in size, it would still be far from ideal in legibility.

As someone who tends to read before sleep more than any other time, taking a desktop computer there would be difficult at best.
I recommend an e-reader. Comes with built-in lighting, scalable fonts, lightweight.
Furthermore, I recommend to move the discussion of readability of books to a dedicated topic.

And you will pay for my extra costs caused by it? In full? For every single book?
For myself, I enjoy reading, which means I need to be able to enjoyu reading. With this in mind, why BUY something I cannot enjoy?

I purchased a book series (Sci-fi) a while ago, the whole series.

When I got it every book was close spaced and in 6 point type. Rather than faff I sent the whole lot back. If you cannot enjoy reading you can always watch a dvd or whatever. Films are topics are usually abridged too so less time to get bored.

I recommend an e-reader. Comes with built-in lighting, scalable fonts, lightweight.
Furthermore, I recommend to move the discussion of readability of books to a dedicated topic.
No thanks, bloody hopeless. The topic is the presentation of books in a thread about a book so is relevent. Thanks.

Had a legally-blind veteran in one of my college classes, he'd lost most of his sight in an IED blast.

He had a magnification device that was about the size of a paperback book that sat on top of the book he was reading. This was ~15 years ago, I'm sure modern versions are about the thickness of a Kindle.

My lecture on Beatrice Shilling and the R.AE.E. pressure carburettor, is online >

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktw8uUc2hU

It concentrates on why the R.A.E. carburettor was ignored, if it had not been, the famous "orifice" would never have been
needed.

I find it dissapointing she was awarded OBE for the restrictor, and not the R.A.E. carburettor, which was only needed because
her earlier work was ignored ! Personally I think she probably felt a bit irked by that.

1711102754136.png

Very interesting and well researched.

Just two remarks, I believe, the direct injection saved a lot of fuel not only by better metering, but also by avoiding fuel losses during the valve overlap, I think you also mentioned this yourself somewhere else, but not here by the end of the video.

Despite all disadvantages, the carburetor in front of the supercharger saves some compressor work by evaporative cooling during the compression. Many hotrodders could use a roots charger aft of the carburetor without charge air cooling and without a dramatic increase in knocking (with moderate pressure ratios).

When all the fuel is evaporated during the compression in the supercharger, the outflow is ideally a homogenous gas mixture which wouldn’t unmix on its way to the cylinders (only true without charge air cooling). However, I know that a compressor doesn’t really homogenize the air/fuel mixture perfectly so this is just a bit too optimistic idea. If I remember it right, that was also described by Harry Ricardo.

A bit off topic, but I think I remember, some American radials had a refined system where they sprayed fuel axially into a hollow compressor shaft from which the fuel was guided to the surfaces of the radial compressor and formed a kind of cooling film on the compressor wheel.

For those intrested in aircraft carburators:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8a3ur6Ar_k&ab_channel=PeriscopeFilm

They aren't really simple devices and you rarly find any information on how a carb works at low loads. The working principe is totally different and has nothing to do with the venturi. In this video you can also find a lot of things which will not work with negative g loads....

Last edited: