Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
It is well known fact that the hull of then under construction battlecruiser IJN Amagi lead ship of her class and which was chosen together with her sister IJN Akagi to become aircraft carriers got seriously damaged during the Great Kanto Earthquake happened in 1923 September 1st.
Due to the damage on the hull the Imperial Japanese Navy had to chose a different ship for conversion into an aircraft carrier hence the ex battleship then still under construction IJN Kaga became the second capital ship / carrier conversion of the IJN.
For ages (at least to me) the only photo of the damage on Amagi was this small sized image found on the net and mostly on wikipedia:
which shows the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal's shipyard from an aerial perspective.

But a few weeks ago I've found (again on a Russian forum!! ) this great, high resolution image which shows much more detail :
3f1lpwZ.jpg

It is described that hull bended soo much, repair was not feasible. On this high resolution image the bending was more clearly visible but also what looks like a significant break crossing at the middle of the hull!

A sidenote:
This actual slip is no more, now some bowling and recreational builds occupy it's place :(
WW2 era aerial photo:
d7158b955e1d6a92f3ec316a495ff718.jpg

Now:
1592943121348.png

Only the two concrete supports of the waterfront end remains of what was the the slip where Amagi was built...

It is well known fact that the hull of then under construction battlecruiser IJN Amagi lead ship of her class and which was chosen together with her sister IJN Akagi to become aircraft carriers got seriously damaged during the Great Kanto Earthquake happened in 1923 September 1st.
Due to the damage on the hull the Imperial Japanese Navy had to chose a different ship for conversion into an aircraft carrier hence the ex battleship then still under construction IJN Kaga became the second capital ship / carrier conversion of the IJN.
For ages (at least to me) the only photo of the damage on Amagi was this small sized image found on the net and mostly on wikipedia:
which shows the Yokosuka Naval Arsenal's shipyard from an aerial perspective.

But a few weeks ago I've found (again on a Russian forum!! ) this great, high resolution image which shows much more detail :

It is described that hull bended soo much, repair was not feasible. On this high resolution image the bending was more clearly visible but also what looks like a significant break crossing at the middle of the hull!

Damn, they had good lines!

Nice find Takacs! Thanks for sharing!!

Regards,

Just asking in passing (not a naval expert) - what difference would have been made, in WWII ? (from my vague understanding: that was a fast battlecruiser 25 kt+, and was replaced by a 23 kt battleship hull ?)

Just asking in passing (not a naval expert) - what difference would have been made, in WWII ? (from my vague understanding: that was a fast battlecruiser 25 kt+, and was replaced by a 23 kt battleship hull ?)
My understanding is that the difference (in end comparing the 2 produced Japanese carriers, including after re-fits) was between a 27.5 - 28 kt hull and a 32 kt hull. Effectively built and operated as almost-sisters, not aware that one of them being limited to 27.5 - 28 kt really had much impact on their war time service but happy to hear more info on this.

I took this photo on March 22nd, 2017, on the commissioning day of JS Kaga (in front, hull no. 184) at her builder in Yokohama.

If you notice the pontoon on her starboard side, between her and her sister JS Izumo on her yard visit, this is what remains today of IJN Amagi.

Someone should have an aerial or bow-on view which gives a clearer image, so if interested please search;)

Attachments

• 9A2B043B-822C-452F-B440-8DC64472670A.jpeg
    9A2B043B-822C-452F-B440-8DC64472670A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 109