The Gnome-et-Rhone engines

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi my friends,
this post is a bit embarassing as there are some problems of keyboard and of computer systems standards. I asked myself what was the correct spelling of the company name of the main pre-war French aircraft engine maker: I usually write Gnome-et-Rône. I don't know how you'll read this word on the post but I means the name is written with the circumflex accent only above the second 'o', but I found the ad I enclose with two circumflexes. I checked the very good book 'L'Aviation Française de Bombardement et de Reinsegnement' by Raymond Danel and Jean Cuny and in the chapter "Les moteurs d'aviation français" we can read the name with the two accents. Elsewhere we can find every combinations: two accents, no accent at all, only on the firt 'O' and only on the second.
When I learned French language at the high school, my teacher said the ^ was a memory of an ancient 's' (or 't'?). Now, no problem for Rhône: it's the former le Rhône and means the Rhône River. But why Gnôme?
I think that name means... gnome, the little people (same in French and British) and I don't see any need for an accent above the 'O'.
Anybody of you French-speaking bloggers could explain this little mystery? When I studied journalism my teacher insisted: you must call anything with its proper name!
Nico
P.S. the ad regards sewing machines but the producer is the same that done also the engines, and bycycles and motorcycles.

Attachments

• machines-a-coudre-gnome-et-rhone.jpg
    machines-a-coudre-gnome-et-rhone.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 233
Good question Nico -- I'm interested in an answer from a native French-speaker as well.

Going by the company name, La Société des Moteurs Gnome et Rhône, I would guess that 'Gnome et Rhône' would be the appropriate short-form.

That would seem to be backed up by the names of the original firms -- Société des Moteurs le Rhône (with accent circonflexe) and Société des Moteurs Gnome (without accent circonflexe).

The alternative uses of circumflex-less 'Gnome et Rhone', 'Gnome & Rhone', and 'Gnome Rhone' seem to come from advertisements and other promotional materials. I would have said that the doubled up circumflexes of 'Gnôme et Rhône' was simply in error ... if it hadn't appeared in your sewing machine advert :eek:

On http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/ by Gérard Hartmann, as far as I know a native French speaker, you can find
several articles about French aero engines, amomgst them the Gnome Omega ( http://www.hydroretro.net/etudegh/moteursdelegende_gnomeomega.pdf.
Ads and photos of the factory show the name "Gnome" without accent circonflex. Strangely, from the same site I have
the article " Les derniers moteurs à pistons de la SNECMA", mentioning extensively the G & R 14 series. Here throughout
the variant "Gnôme & Rhône" is used. Seems to a difficult them, even for Frenchmen ....

Thank you Apophenia and Jemiba,
now I think the question is solved,
thank you again
Nico

The Gnome-Rhone Company, itself, spelled the name BOTH ways, in the period between World Wars. With the accent circonflex over the "o" in Rhone, and without it.
Here is a cover from the company's monthly publication in 1932, and both spellings are used thoughout. See both variations used on the page illustrating the engine. And NO accent used on the cover spelling. A 1939 Ministere de L'Air "Gnome-Rhone" manual shows official Armee de L'Air spelling to be without the accent, as well.

Attachments

• gn001s.jpg
    gn001s.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 164
  • gn002s.jpg
    gn002s.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 167
  • gn004s.jpg
    gn004s.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 156