The Five Great Surprises of Soviet Post WW2 Military Aviation

Bruno Anthony

I miss the Cold War
Reaction score
The IMO 5 most unpleasant surprises for NATO and Western aligned countries:

1. The TU-4: Nuclear capable long enough range bomber
2. The MiG-15: no one in the West expected this
3. The MiG-25: not a highly maneuverable fighter as first feared but still great performance
4. The MiG-29/SU-27: their maneuverability took everyone by surprise
5. AA-11 Archer w/HMS: this may have been a game changer in a NATO/WP war

We shouldn’t have been surprised this many times.

Nah. Tu-4 was the copy of B-29, it wasn't much of surprise. The M-4 and 3M jet bombers and Tu-95 turboprop were much more surprising; many Western experts believed that USSR would deploy the large piston-powered bomber, analogue of B-36.

Also, I think Tu-22M were one of "surprises" also, since they were extremely high-performance, and have enough range to be considered strategic (one of the reasons why USSR removed in-flight refueling systems from them - because otherwise they would be included into strategic arms limitation treaties).

Nah. Tu-4 was the copy of B-29, it wasn't much of surprise. The M-4 and 3M jet bombers and Tu-95 turboprop were much more surprising; many Western experts believed that USSR would deploy the large piston-powered bomber, analogue of B-36.

Also, I think Tu-22M were one of "surprises" also, since they were extremely high-performance, and have enough range to be considered strategic (one of the reasons why USSR removed in-flight refueling systems from them - because otherwise they would be included into strategic arms limitation treaties).

The USN expected a supersonic missile carrier/bomber for some time if you read Norman Friedman’s Fighters Over the Fleet. Not that that they were happy about it, but not shocking.

I picked the TU-4 even though it was a copy because it imm gave the Reds a way to hit North America possibly with a nuke so soon.