The Danish Standard Flex designs

Tzoli

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've searched on the net but did not found any info on these series of designs and the forum the picture hosted on was archived long ago, and google could not find it (Luckily I've saved the image and could reverse search for it)
Maybe people here know more about these proposals?
Also I've thought the Danish Thetis class patrol frigates were of the Standard Flex 3000 design but some documents say it is the Standard Flex 2000 design, so does mentions this document as the 3000 based on the Thetis class.

Does anybody know more about the Standard Flex design series?
So far I know a few:

Standard Flex 300 - Flyvefisken Class Corvette
Standard Flex 500 - Corvette Design
Standard Flex 1500 - Frigate Design
Standard Flex 2000 - Thetis Class Patrol Frigate
Standard Flex 3000 - Patrol Frigate Design

As the clipping in your first post makes clear, Standard Flex designations correspond (roughly) to full load displacements. (And note that SF 3000 - not 2000 - is the designation associated with the 3,500 tonne Thetis class.) It is also important to remember that StanFlex numbers were effectively marketing designations - eg: note that KDM stopped referring to SF 300 (or, sometimes, a hyphenated SF-300) once the Flyvefisken class were officially named.

I've seen no evidence of SF numbers for 'early adopters' of Standard Flex modules - MLU mods for the 1,450 tonne Niels Juel class corvettes and one-off 1,970 tonne Beskytteren class Inspektionsskib. Still, it would make sense that StanFlex designations would have been at least briefly applied to Odense's 1,720 tonne Knud Rasmussen class Inspektionsfartøjer; 6,300 tonne Absalon class (Kommandostøtteskib; and 6,645 tonne Iver Huitfeldt class FFH.

A bit more background on the SF 1500 for those who aren't familiar ... this was an early '90s project led by Danyard Aalborg A/S (simply Danyard A/S then) backed up by Anglo-French BAeSEMA (as it sounds, a joint venture between BAe and the Sema Group).

Danyard's SF 1500 project was based directly on the hull design of the Niels Juel class. That steel hull was to be combined with a composite superstructure constructed mainly from FRP sandwich panels (based on SF 300 experience). At an early sage, the SF 1500 was to have 5 x StanFlex modules (not the 6 listed in your source).

By 1992, Danyard and Odense Lindø were grouped (along with Terma and others) within Naval Team Denmark (NTD) which emphasized the export potential of Standard Flex. NTD then proposed SF 1500 to meet Malaysia's New Generation Patrol Vessel (NGPV) programme in the early 1990s. This was followed by sales junkets to Brunei and Thailand (the latter having also shown interest in the SF 300 for MCM).

Source (including attached image): Naval Team Denamrk organisation og virksomhed (NTD organisation and company), kommandør Arne Stihøj Pedersen, in Tidsskrift for Søvæsen, Nr.1 - 2004 - 175. årgang

Attachments

• SF-1500-artwork.jpg
    SF-1500-artwork.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 41
So there should exits a Standard Flex 6000 and 6500 design?

So there should exits a Standard Flex 6000 and 6500 design?

You would think so. But both the Absalon and Ivar/Iver Huitfeldt classes were products of Odense Staalskibsværft A/S. Perhaps, domestically, Odense was trying to distance itself from NTD a bit ?

OT, but I'd love to know why Søværnet originally pennanted both types with 'L' hull codes. I can see why the Absalons might het lumped in with amphibious assault ships but that prefix makes no sense for the Huitfeldts. Likewise, the switch to 'F' hull codes for both types seems odd.

Switching from L714-L715-L716 to F361-F362-F363 makes sense - the Huitfeldts being reclassed from patruljeskibe to fregatter. But the Absalons? I suppose, at a stretch, 'F' might have been for fleksible støtteskibe (since the Absalons weren't reclassed as 'ASW-fregatter' until Oct 2020).

BTW: The Absalons 'fleksible' came from flexible roles and the flexdækket (flex deck) not from their StanFlex mounts.