The best VSTOL combat aircraft design?

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Convair 200 & Yak-41. They were probably the best that could be done with the (flawed) lift-jet concept. Hawker P.1216 is probably better than both, however.
France and Germany never managed to build a decent VSTOL: the Mirage III-V was a nightmare.

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com

Opportunistic Minnow

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
No doubt someone will be along to tell me the F-35 has seen combat to which my response is: if you say so. :rolleyes:
Yeah, well done. Doesn't really stand up to comparison for me. Hardly as intensive as the Falklands, the Balkans, Iraq or Afghanistan (the 1st decade). Nor is it decades of service from the German plains to Belize.

If you truly believe that their combat service compares though then good luck to you. I'm still waiting to be impressed, decades in now.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
No doubt someone will be along to tell me the F-35 has seen combat to which my response is: if you say so. :rolleyes:
Yeah, well done. Doesn't really stand up to comparison for me. Hardly as intensive as the Falklands, the Balkans, Iraq or Afghanistan (the 1st decade). Nor is it decades of service from the German plains to Belize.

If you truly believe that their combat service compares though then good luck to you. I'm still waiting to be impressed, decades in now.
Israel did use them in anger. Given that their theater of operation involves the best what Russian have designed so far, I am pretty sure it does qualify.

zen

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hmmm...tough criteria really V/STOL.
Accepting certain limitations a number of designs would perform quite well.
Even the P.1154.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Even helicopters can carry a heavier load during rolling take-offs. Slower than 40 knots, each rotor blade works alone, but when you accelerate faster than 40 knots, all the blades start working together as a single disc. Translational lift reduces fuel burn by 40 percent.