Turkey's Tank Modernisation Projects [Leopard2A4, M60A3, T72, etc]

Combat-Master

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I'm coining this the Anatolian Leopard, as it features turret of Turkey's Altay MBT mated to the Chassis of a Leopard 2 A4.

Featuring, L44 Cannon from Leo2A4, modern FCS and E/O, RCWS, APS+radar, LWR and full 360 IR/CCD camera for situational awareness. Not much else is known about this variation or whether it will be intended to enter service with Turkish Army.
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice photo!
This hybrid using existing Leo chassis is probably Turkey's way to work around the sanctions instaured by Germany last year in response to Erdogan's jingoism: AFAIK the Altay program is pretty much stalled with its Renk transmission under embargo.
Quite an irony, using a German chassis to work around German sanctions...

Now, besides the obvious face-saving value, it is not so clear to me that militarily this hybrid would really be a cost-effective improvement, taking out one Leo2 for each hybrid produced.

Honestly, I don't know what is going on with the Leopard Modernisation programme - not so long ago, Roketsan developed a armour package for Leopard 2A4. It looks decent, but I guess they want a tank that is further enhanced ?

1611394492105.png

What are the advantages of the Atlay's turret compared to a Leopard 2A4, does it have an auto-loader?

What are the advantages of the Atlay's turret compared to a Leopard 2A4, does it have an auto-loader?

From what some Turkish forumers who have been inside of the Altay and Leopard 2A4 turret have said is that the internal dimensions are very similar, but removes some of the disadvantages such as the gunners sight being a weak spot of the armour (further iterations of the Leopard fixed this). Altay turret does not offer an autoloader.

For 105mm version, how many ammo can it carry?
scn4b5ymgeea1.jpg

18 rounds.