The amazing Republic XF-103 model

Did he scratch build that or was it made from the Collectaire kit? Nice, none the less.

Sundog said:
Did he scratch build that or was it made from the Collectaire kit?

From Collectaire, but this is not too much far from scratchbuild ;) .

Scale modelling at its best... though artistry is the word that really comes to mind at this level!

Anyone with the skill and patience to create a work like that has my utmost respect. Beautiful work.

Wow! The rendering of the subtle metal finish differences and the rivet lines is exceptionally well done. I've long liked the XF-103 and it would've been something to have seen such a bird reach squadron service. That's a wonderful realization of the design. Nicely done!

Skyraider3D said:
Absolutely amazing. Reminds me I still need to digitize that original Republic film roll that I have, showing the XF-103 in detail...

You are such a tease...

It's true though! :) Got it off eBay a couple of years ago, but been so busy I completely forgot about it.

Digitising it is not cheap, so I need to know if there are a few interested parties for DVD copies (probably under $25) which will help spread the cost. Interested?
I'm not 100% sure what it shows, but it has parts dealing with a mock-up of the periscope installation (dated 1955), the survival systems and also some bits showing the factory scale model. The length is 600 ft, which should be over 16 minutes of footage. No sound track as far as I'm aware. I've added a few shots that were on eBay at the time and are frames included in the film.

Sadly I lost out on another bidding dealing with a converted Thunderjet, equipped with the XF-103's perscope system.

Attachments

• XF-103_reel_00.jpg
    XF-103_reel_00.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 686
  • XF-103_reel_02.jpg
    XF-103_reel_02.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 639
  • XF-103_reel_12.jpg
    XF-103_reel_12.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 92
  • XF-103_reel_20.jpg
    XF-103_reel_20.jpg