The Aeroplane 1912-1922

Schneiderman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For any of you are interested in early British aviation there are a couple of sellers on ebay who offer 540 copies of The Aeroplane from 1912 - 1922 in pdf format on DVD. The files are searchable and the DVD is reasonably priced; one seller in the UK, one in the US. Aeroplane always gives an interestingly different view to Flight.
On ebay search for - aeroplane 1912 1922

Also here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-AEROPLANE-AIRCRAFT-AVIATION-HISTORY-PLANES-540-ANTIQUE-MAGAZINES-ON-DVD-/121574175092?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4e62b174

I've placed my order for it and will let you guys know about it when it's with me.

My copy arrived yesterday and I spent a couple of hours browsing last night. A real treasure trove of info.... a few pages in produced a twin-hull Junkers model photo (see attachment), a series on German 1920's gliders competing at Wasserflug gliding events, not to mention the period adverts (particularly taken by the series of ads for the Parnall Puffin).

The scans are generally from bound editions so each PDF covers a few issues with 500-650 pages in each file.

Pros:

- Very cheap with free postage (less than a fiver on Ebay)
- Readable
- Fairly comprehensive coverage (1912-1922)
- Great contemporary analysis
- Some great advertisments
- Many new types that I had never come across
- Great feel when reading articles
- Like the Flight Archive it is partially searchable by words (mis-interpretations do occur due to fonts/printing)

Cons:
- No hard cover with my copy
- Not professional - the white disc was marked in black marker pen - you get what you pay for
- Will take years to read !
- Early page feature browning through aging - but still are readable!
- No Volume 1 (1911) and some periods absent see Capture2 file below

Overall - a bargain for a real chunk of early aviation history.

Example of a Junkers word search attached along with the DVD contents and sample layout cover page.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    309.6 KB · Views: 61
  • capture2.png
    capture2.png
    64 KB · Views: 60
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    716.4 KB · Views: 60
... I forgot to mention that these files are mostly available from the Library of Congress site but buying them is a nice time and resource saver...

see https://archive.org/search.php?query=the%20aeroplane

Cy-27 said:
- Not professional - the white disc was marked in black marker pen - you get what you pay for

Strange. I received my copy today (along with several other discs from them) and they all have neatly printed round stickers with aircraft pictures and neatly typed titles on them.

Did you get the printed message from "Scott" in the envelope? It says "IF FOR ANY REASON There is a problem, please contact us by email at Gallus9(at)aol.com.

Perhaps you could write the guy a message to say you have a friend that got the neatly printed label and you'd like to get the same. Sure, the picture is not really in relation with the contents, but at least it gives it a neat aspect.

...I think mine must be from an no-frills seller !!!

My UK seller was in the north east of the UK.