Texts on US Bomber variants

MJBurmaster

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I recall that old book which had USAAC/AAF/USAF bombers from 1 to 70, and books devoted to the B-36 or the Flying Wings, but has anyone done up a comprehensive work on US bomber craft say on the order of Norm Friedman with the USN warship classes?

MJ, to do a comprehensive book on US bomber aircraft would be a nearly impossible task to accomplish. To gather all the germane information on each aircraft, each change of variant, each block in which the variation took place, field mods and why, etc. would take almost literally a lifetime to accomplish. Of course, if you had nearly unlimited funds and could hire QUALIFIED AND KNOWLEDGEABLE researchers to do your digging in pretty much every museum, archive and corporate historical records center everywhere in the United States (and maybe elsewhere), and then find people capable of sorting through and organizing this information, and then have writers who are knowledgeable enough to boil down a ten page report into a paragraph or maybe a page of text containing the absolutely most important items...MAYBE you could get a series of books done in 15 or 20 years.

Good luck with that.

AlanG

On the other hand, Friedman did manage to do so with USN ship classes, of which there were quite a few given the General Board's concept and design philosophy which early on was quite scientific in nature. Certainly a good bit of Friedman's drafts hit the editing floor. And, at that, Friedman was hobbled by coming in late to the game so to speak given most of the shipyards and their records, archival materials and design bureau records having disappeared. Still, he did try and the results are seen as near-definitive when discussing naval architecture. Norm had some help, but truly he was the prime foce behind the collecting and writing. A writer on aircraft would have some added benefit of the fact that the history and drawings are with companies which still exist and, ironically, preserved by reason of reluctance to declassify information in the postwar era.
Certainly Friedman could have topped the 500 page mark even with his information limited work on battleships, and indeed, you see the spillover into the USN cruiser book. Admittedly, a workable tome on US bomber studies would likely rival War and Peace, but breaking up the work into parts such as Years 19xx to 19yy or by classification, light/medium/heavy, whatnot, makes the matter more manageable. After all, one is looking at design in general and by class, and doing very little with field mods and the such, in keeping with a rule of reason and indeed, to avoid the carping criticism that not everything was presented.
Given the military sometimes makes work, fascinating that a team of archivists hadn't jumped on that project!

And don't forget that Lloyd Jones got the B-68 totally wrong. Mind you, I love the three-engine delta he shows, but that's not Martin's B-68.

Back
Top Bottom