Boeing needs to be purged of the pernicious McDonnell Aircraft Corporation influence and one way to help this purge would be to moves its corporate HQ from Chicago back to Washington state.
Well, they are moving their global HQ Washington (Virginia to be exact, but you know what I mean), just not the Washington state we are hoping for .

Boeing needs to be purged of the pernicious McDonnell Aircraft Corporation influence and one way to help this purge would be to moves its corporate HQ from Chicago back to Washington state.
- Too late, the metastasis is complete, and most of the the root cause is GE, Jack Welch and his acolytes, not just McDonnell Douglas.
- Boeing is already moving (moved) the Headquarters out of Chicago - to the Crystal City neighborhood of Arlington, Virginia - inside the Washington DC beltway. Draw your own conclusions as to their priorities.

Can someone point me to a good (accurate) 3-view drawing of T-7A? I tried my best on Google, but couldn't find anything useful :(

Btw, the specs on Boeing's homepage are rather poor:
Boeing Specs.png

Last edited:
Has their been any news about the test program lately? The T-50 seems to be getting a surprising number of orders in its combat capable versions. Maybe such a variant of the T-7 like they've talked about has a chance of some success there if the T-50 doesn't eat up that market first. Considering the proliferation of such aircraft in recent years it seems to me like Northrop had a good idea with the F-20 but just did it a few decades too early.

Has their been any news about the test program lately? The T-50 seems to be getting a surprising number of orders in its combat capable versions. Maybe such a variant of the T-7 like they've talked about has a chance of some success there if the T-50 doesn't eat up that market first. Considering the proliferation of such aircraft in recent years it seems to me like Northrop had a good idea with the F-20 but just did it a few decades too early.
See post #1239 on previous page: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/t-x-trainer-boeing-t-7a-red-hawk.13751/post-653524

US and Japan will jointly develop the next gen trainer jet to replace JASDF's ageing T-4. It is unknown at this moment whether it will be a completely new aircraft, but the article implies that it may be a derivative of the T-7.

It has been revealed that the governments of Japan and the United States are coordinating by jointly developing a successor to the Japan Air Self-Defense Force fighter pilot training aircraft 'T4'. Prime Minister Fumio Kishida is visiting the United States as a state guest, and aims to reach an agreement at the summit with President Biden scheduled for April 10 in Washington and specify it in the document. This is the first joint development of a training aircraft between the US and Japan. In addition to reducing production costs, the purpose is to strengthen linkages by using common aircraft from the training stage between the JASDF and the US Air Force. Several U.S.-Japan officials confirmed this announcement on the 23rd.

Joint development is expected to improve 'interoperability', where the Self-Defense Forces and the U.S. military carry out operations in conjunction. With the evolution of artificial intelligence (AI) and communication technology, the aspects of air combat are becoming more complex, and the skills required from pilots are becoming more sophisticated. Confucius is currently operating F35s and F15s procured from the United States, but plans to make them common from the pilot training stage, which will lead to coping with the problem. Japan and the United States are seeking to strengthen cooperation in the field of aviation equipment, with their sights set on the development of unmanned aerial vehicles to support next-generation fighter jets, and an agreement on joint research on AI technology for unmanned aerial vehicles in December last year.

The purpose is also to increase mass production effectiveness and lower production costs. As fighter jets become more sophisticated, raising the specifications of trainer aircraft can easily lead to an increase in development and production costs. As for T4, a long period of time has elapsed since the start of deployment, and there have been concerns that parts manufacturers may not be able to maintain production lines. By being operated by Japan and the United States, production volume increases, leading to stabilization of prices and supply.

"Confucius is currently operating F35s"

That's quite an image.

Anyone have a guess what this is supposed to say?

So I wonder if the JASDF will acquire T-7s straight from Boeing's production line or will they go for the extra time and expense of setting up a production line in Japan and produce the T-7 under licence?

Seems like the new working group for the new clean-sheet Japanese-American advanced trainer might also be a contingency plan for Pentagon as well.

The T-7's problems aren't anything that millions of dollars and years can't fix. The issue is mostly the timeline, different nations need new trainers right now, the delays are going to kill sales more than anything else.

It's a very pretty aircraft anyway.

That's crazy. If the T-7 isn't working out, the next best option would be the T-50A

Do you seriously think that dropping the T-7 in favor of the T-50 now would actually get to a manufacturing start before 2025?

Things were looking good for the T-7 it was going through various climate tests, and now the T-7 won't start production for another two years. What has gone wrong at Boeing? Is this yet another example of bad management?

Do you seriously think that dropping the T-7 in favor of the T-50 now would actually get to a manufacturing start before 2025?
Probably not though they do already have the line in Korea. My point wasn't so much this though but rather that going with a "new clean-sheet Japanese-American advanced trainer" is ridiculous and will take even longer.

Things were looking good for the T-7 it was going through various climate tests, and now the T-7 won't start production for another two years. What has gone wrong at Boeing? Is this yet another example of bad management?
I'd have to assume general dysfunction at Boeing has some impact. Although I'm sure the usual layers of DoD red tape involving everything certified takes forever. Plus, the lingering effects of COVID on the supply chain, although I'm starting to feel that particular point is mostly an excuse by this time. The whole ejection seat issue is probably related to the desire to allow a greater range of pilot sizes which caused the same sort of challenges on the F-35 as well.

Does the T-7 use the ACES II seat or a Martin-Baker design?
ACES 5. The 5 is designed to be less maintenance intensive, to reduce spinal injuries during an ejection, and accommodate a wider range of pilot weights (higher and lower) competed to the II. Unfortunately, they ran into issues and it took a lot of time to get sorted

Well if they're having problems with the ACES 5 then they should switch to the same Martin-Baker seat used in the F-35.

The damage has already happened, switching at this point would only incur further delays.

Good point however I don't know why they didn't go for the JSF's MB seat instead as it would ease the logistics of maintaining also it might still appear in the proposed T-7B USN variant as the USN has had a preference for MB ejection-seats since the late 1950s.