Sustaining the US Defense Industrial Base Report

bobbymike

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Getting crazy. Lots of people working from home. On top of that, today we had an earthquake. Nothing like California gets but it does get your attention. :eek:

California just issued a stay at home order. The rest of the country will follow suit. I've been at home for 4 days and going crazy! The only good thing I can say is that I am teaching myself branches of physics I never studied in school like relativistic fields

California just issued a stay at home order. The rest of the country will follow suit. I've been at home for 4 days and going crazy! The only good thing I can say is that I am teaching myself branches of physics I never studied in school like relativistic fields
Yes, but they aren't being prevented from going to work.

Deleted some fairly offensive comments about 'millennials' and banned or warned the various offenders. There's no place here for age-based prejudice and stereotyping.

Deleted some fairly offensive comments about 'millennials' and banned or warned the various offenders. There's no place here for age-based prejudice and stereotyping.
Looks like you accidentally scooped up the bit about companies segregating employees internally by program. At least in the defense sector (and probably others) they're taking this problem VERY seriously. Nothing like SARS/Swine Flu/Bird Flu.

Last edited:
State of Competition within the Defense Industrial Base
Over a year old, but:

"Since the 1990s, the defense sector has consolidated substantially, transitioning from 51 to 5
aerospace and defense prime contractors.
As a result, DoD is increasingly reliant on a small
number of contractors for critical defense capabilities. Consolidations that reduce required
capability and capacity and the depth of competition would have serious consequences for
national security. Over approximately the last three decades, the number of suppliers in major
weapons system categories has declined substantially: tactical missile suppliers have declined
from 13 to 3, fixed-wing aircraft suppliers declined from 8 to 3
, and satellite suppliers have
halved from 8 to 4
. Today, 90% of missiles come from 3 sources. As a result, promoting
competition and ensuring it is fair and open for future programs is a critical Department priority."

Interesting to see how any small(er) industries can compete with the majors given a smaller professional work force (most of whom work for the larger industry), far less liquidity, minimal infrastructure, and of course far fewer lawyers.

Not had a chance to read through the entire document, but thought it might be of some interest.

Attachments

• State of Competition within the Defense Industrial Base Feb 2022 Vendor Lock.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom