Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II with ducted fan

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.II, P7674 with ducted cowl (ground running rig ?)
I suspect ths is actually the the mockup for designing a cowling for the projected application of the Rolls-Royce Crecy experimental two-stroke engine. Spitfire P7674 was used for this mockup.
See the description here.

Mostly likely a confused mixture of the Crecy mock-up you mention plus the highly speculative ducted-fan and ICT installation shown in a sketch from Morgan and Shacklady's Spitfire tome

ref. Spitfire the History, Eric Morgan & Edward Shacklady, Key Publishing, 1987

i try not to 'add' extra detail when building from a reference source, when making the model i couldnt see any indication of exhaust outlet hence missing from the build.
Interestingly I hadnt appreciated at the time 30+ years ago (c.1988) the drawing was for an actual 'ducted fan proposal' and had assumed a cowl duct for ground running :)

Attachments

• 20201123_123911.jpg
    20201123_123911.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
Last edited:
Yes, that's the reference.
Not the same as the scheme for Spitfire Mk.II, P7674, as Dan said. How the ICT (Internal Combustion Turbine) would have been installed is not clear from the sketch but some kind of exhaust would be required. If the power unit is based on patents taken out by Griffiths then it may have been annular in form. More discussion on the concept here.

Spitfire Variants | Page 3 | Secret Projects Forum